WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies

WBBB ridge issue???

Ok. I have no idea what just happened. I went to lay in my BlackBird, and there is a sharp ridge under my left knee. I tried every way to set it up, but could only cure the ridge with a much shorter ridgeline. I use a locking chain link to wrap the ridgeline around 10 or so times, and I found the sweet spot. Problem is, that way, I can't close the bugnet. One cure might be a pillow under my knees, but I had to do that with my hennessy. Which is why I ditched my hennessy. I've always noticed a small ridge, but it has grown worse over time. Another recent thing is that when I lay in the BB, no matter where I lay, I feel the shelf/wall, trying to roll me out of the hammock. I am 5'3", 125 lbs, and own a two-month old WBBB 1.7 single layer. Another thing to note is that I have used this full time for the time that I've owned it.

Maybe I should try a ridge runner?

However, I have a few questions about the single layer 1.1 RR.

Is it really 1oz lighter than the 1.7 Single layer blackbird?

Will it fit under the superfly without putting holes in the tarp?

Will my Hammock Gear short Incubator 20* fit well with it?

Im not sure what to do. I don't want the calf ridge, but I hate having pillow under my knees. Maybe I can somehow order a custom Blackbird with a much shorter ridgeline, and a wider bugnet? I really do want to stay with the BB. Any and all responses are greatly appreciated.
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    I have had this issue from time to time in both my wbbb and my wbbb xlc. I have found that where I put my weight, read that butt, changes how and where the ridges form. I also get my head as close to the top as possible. Only occasional issues while doing it this way.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    I I also get my head as close to the top as possible. Only occasional issues while doing it this way.
    This I do. Maybe it's just me.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Experiment with different hang angles. The Blackbird needs to be hung right to be a great hammock. Unfortunately there's no trick that works for everyone. For me, I need to have the (100") ridgeline very tight - tighter than indicated by Brandon in his set-up video. I hang the foot end a bit higher, or, alternatively have the suspension on the foot end shorter than on the head end. If I use the Blackbird frequently, I get a lot better hanging it perfectly and finding the sweet spot. When I get it right, there's no calf ridge, and the lay is the flattest and most comfy one of any hammock I own.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Experiment with different hang angles. The Blackbird needs to be hung right to be a great hammock. Unfortunately there's no trick that works for everyone. For me, I need to have the (100") ridgeline very tight - tighter than indicated by Brandon in his set-up video. I hang the foot end a bit higher, or, alternatively have the suspension on the foot end shorter than on the head end. If I use the Blackbird frequently, I get a lot better hanging it perfectly and finding the sweet spot. When I get it right, there's no calf ridge, and the lay is the flattest and most comfy one of any hammock I own.
    Maybe you are right, I should try stringing it up tight. Ill post results soon.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Shorten your suspension until the RL is taut and see how that feels. Raise the foot end higher than the head end and keep raising it until it feels good. Some people hang the foot end as much as a foot higher than the head.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It's strange, the ridge comes and goes. Well, it's really always there but not always an issue. I even started a thread a couple years back about this not even knowing there was a technical name for it.

Even though it can be a pain, I sometimes completely take down the hammock and try another set of trees just to get a fresh start. Sounds dumb, but usually helps.

I'm with you on not wanting the pillow. I don't even use one under my head. I like a "clean" hammock with just the TQ and a few things in the shelf. No mess, things to loose, adjust, manage, etc.

I still think the biggest help as been hanging the foot end higher...sometimes so rediculously high that it doesn't look right.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    Yeah I keep the ridgeline taught, and the foot end higher. I mostly hang in my room in the basement, and so It's hard to just change location. Ill keep on experimenting some more. Thanks all for the responses.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobertson View Post
    Yeah I keep the ridgeline taught, and the foot end higher. I mostly hang in my room in the basement, and so It's hard to just change location. Ill keep on experimenting some more. Thanks all for the responses.
    That might be your problem (hanging in a room). I assume that you cannot slide the suspension up or down, like you would on a tree? I have tried using my BB indoors, and since I don't have tree-like structures there, I had to use attachment points (pad eyes). I have never been able to hang the BB they way I do outdoors.

Try using another hammock indoors. I'm currently using a BIAS Lite Hiker that I modified with mini spreader bars. It works great with what I have indoors.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I hang in my basement from the floor joists so we're talking about 20' apart. I just shorten the food end strap quite a bit; I think that helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast