Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

Announcing the 2014 Bugnet build-off sponsored by RipstopbytheRoll

With the weather warming up and the skeetas taking flight, I wanted to do something fun to spark some DIY bugnet builds. Starting immediately and running for the next month, I'm sponsoring the Bugnet Build-off 2014 to give everyone a chance to show off their DIY skills in making a hammock bugnet. I want to stress that DIYers of all skill levels (noob, novice, grand master) can and should participate in this event. More on that in a second. Here are the details:

How to enter

1) Starting today, go to www.ripstopbytheroll.com and buy some noseeum: http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/noseeum-mesh. Although we typically bulk process orders every 3-4 days, I'll ship all bugnet orders out immediately so you get maximum time to build. Don't be shy with colors. There are five . Note: if you need small items such as cordlocks and shockcord I can include those at no extra cost. If you need some for your design, just put a note on the order with how much and I'll include it.

2) Send me a PM and/or post in the thread that you're in. Please DO NOT POST pics of your finished build or any pics that would allow others to identify your particular bugnet. Pics of your material, thread injector, or you doing cartwheels are OK.

3) When finished with your bugnet, send me a pic through PM or to [email protected]. Again, PLEASE DO NOT POST a picture of your bugnet in this thread. I'll post pictures of entrees in the thread as I receive them.

Important Dates

The build-off starts today and will end on June 18th, 2014. Get crackin'.

JUDGING

After all the entrees are in, I'll consult my small council on HF to select finalists. These finalists will then be judged via a POLL by the HF community to determine the winners!

PRIZES

Top prize: $100 gift certificate to RipstopbytheRoll.com and a refund of your initial material purchase.

Second prize: $50 gift certificate to RipstopbytheRoll.com and a refund of your initial material purchase.

In addition to the top tier prizes, EVERYONE that submits a picture of their final bugnet will receive a TBD prize. Note that I reserve the right to up the value and/or quantity of prizes based on how many entrees there are

DO'S AND DON'TS

1) DO - Be creative! This is your chance to show off the designs you've been kicking around and try new things. If you've never built a bugnet, this is your chance to experiment and learn a great new hobby. As long as it can conceivably pass for a hammock bugnet, it's fair game.

2) DON'T - In case you missed it, PLEASE DO NOT POST A PICTURE of your bugnet or anything that could identify your bugnet in this thread. I would like the the final bugnets to be judged on merit alone independent of any reputation/following/etc that you may or may not have on HF. This keeps the build-off as fair as possible and levels the playing field somewhat for DIYers of all skill levels to have a go.

3) DON'T - If you are a vendor (i.e. someone making and selling bugnets) please excuse yourself from this build-off and don't enter.

OK that's it! Hopefully you can tell I'm just a little excited to get this kicked off and the bugnet designs rolling in. I think this will be a lot of FUN for everyone. Let's get started!!!
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sounds like fun Kyle. But, as you saw at the Smoked Butt Hang, I've already finished my summer bugnet hammock. I will be watching to see what folks come up with and see what I can learn for the next time.

Pappy

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Very cool idea, and very generous. Thanks.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    I'm in. I get paid tomorrow, and will place my order for supplies.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Thanks for joining in guys! FYI I am out of town tomorrow through Sunday, so the first build off orders will go out Monday morning.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Funny I am about to start getting all the stuff together. This will inspire it sooner.

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    My son wants to hike and hammock camp with me now (which is SO AWESOME BTW), which means he wants my hand-me-downs. Daddy gets new gear, and son gets to hang with the big boys. It's a big win-win. I went ahead and ordered supplies tonight. Thanks again for the incentive.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    i just ordered my stuff! so excited! can we have a minors (under 18) divison? providing i'm not the only kid.
    thanks for organizing!

Awesome I'm in. What a great idea. I was thinking of making a couple bugnets for me and my son.
    Joe

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    i just ordered my stuff! so excited! can we have a minors (under 18) divison? providing i'm not the only kid.
    thanks for organizing!
    Yeah...I mean the young'uns have an unfair advantage over the rest of us....better close up vision, better hand eye coordination, etc....why should we have to compete against that?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast