Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wind Rivers

Images
    Yeah, me too. But on the last trip to Lonesome Lake in WR, I usd a spinner right at the outlet of the lake near sunset. Within a few seconds of each cast hitting the water, after I head reeled in just a few feet, I would have a fat cut throat. one right after another. I finally quit because it was so ridiculously easy and I was catching and releasing and became worried about too much trauma to the fish. We have fished this lake before with both flys and spinn gear with no where near that spectacular luck. I don't know what the deal was.

When I got back to camp on the other end of the lake, my son( in the pics) had kept several fat ones, and we had a nice fish fry. MMMMM, good!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Well it looks like I will need to get a fly rod. The one I have from when I was a kid is more like a cane pole than a fly rod. I'll need to keep my eyes open for a unit that can be attached to the pack and not cause to much interference.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Walking Bear, you may give this short artical a read, some good info for fishing lakes with spin gear and fly's. I have been on that very debate myself-trying to figure out if I want to take my fly kit or a smaller lighter spin rig with fly's and hope to find some live bait here and there. This article give a good intro run down to using flys with a spin rig.

http://www.activeangler.com/flyfishi...y_bubble.shtml

Cheers

Paul

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I just came across a good diagram of this kind of technique

and this gentleman's article here---http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/bubble.htm

Ok yah I am drooling a little bit wanting to get out and hike and fish and EAT!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I think the topic is wandering a bit here. Perhaps you can make a new 'fishing' thread in the Donating Member's Off Topic forum..
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I am answering this question that came up on Cannibal's thread
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=8399&page=19

Thought I'd start a new thread so as not to Hijack.

Wow, there are a lot of choices. But the number one sure fired (IMO) to get to the spectacular country the quickest is to go to Big Sandy trail head about 45 minutes(?) west of Pinedale, WY. Or west of Boulder, WY( even smaller town). Now a rough dirt road gets you to this trail head and from there very quickly into the heart of the range and the Continental Divide. Hence, it is very popular, and in the summertime very crowded at least by Wind River standards. Likely, you will park at a very crowded parking area/camp ground. Don't let that discourage you, you will actually see very few folks on the trail, and almost none after the 1st day of hiking. From where you park at about 9100 feet I think, about 6 miles and 500 feet up the trail you will arrive at Big Sandy Lake, and steep jagged peaks will rise about 2000-3000 feet straight up above you. This ( and nearby lake's like Clear Lake) will normally be the most crowded lake in the range. Often you can find good campsites, often you can't. Don't worry, just go 1/4 - 2 miles back down the river that drains this lake for endless campsites all to yourself.

Or, last year in early Sept, it was a bit too crowded for us at Big Sandy. We took a chance and went 500 feet higher ( maybe a mile further?) to Clear Lake

and had it all to ourselves for two days! And it was even more beautiful than Big sandy, and just gets better from there into Temple Basin. And the hanging was better than at Big Sandy.

The next day hike north from Big Sandy Lake over Jack A*s Pass to the Cirque of the Towers at Lonesome Lake, mind blowing!

I'll pick this up later, I've got to go eat at Cracker Barrel!
    WalkingBear, did you ever get up to the Winds?

Anyway, I stumbled upon and was reading through this OLD thread, and I saw a mistake I made in the directions I gave above. I said "Wow, there are a lot of choices. But the number one sure fired (IMO) to get to the spectacular country the quickest is to go to Big Sandy trail head about 45 minutes(?) west of Pinedale, WY. Or west of Boulder, WY( even smaller town). Now a rough dirt road gets you to this trail head and from there very quickly into the heart of the range and the Continental Divide."

But what I MEANT to say was: Big Sandy trailhead EAST of Pinedale and EAST of Boulder, WY! So it's a little late, but there is the correction!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123