Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge

What is the best knot to attach my suspension system?

I know I am probably going to open up a big ol' can-o-worms on this one with all the various options....but here goes.

Currently I have my HH suspension attached to a carabiner then attached to my atlas strap. I put on the suspension when I first got the hammock, and I am not even quite sure what kind of "knot" I did.

So....what is the best tying (knot) to use with this system I have? I have just been learning knots and I absolutely love it!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Figure 8 with a bight. This is the knot that is often used for mountain climbing rope teams. It will jam on thinner cord, but it can be undone with some type of pick. I used the same setup and it worked great

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    What Phi said will work every time.

Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge
    Wahooo! Something new to try! Thanks

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I used a climber's figure 8 on the HH spectra chord... once. Never again, because it was awful getting it undone! You can use the type of 8 that HH recommends. That comes undone pretty easily.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If you are going to attach to the biner use a clove hitch with a 1/2 hitch stopper. You can make the stopper slippery.

Figure 8 on a bight is the wrong knot for that application. I don't know why people keep recommending it. The application is calls for a hitch.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Actually, if you are wanting to create a fixed point on the hammock suspension to attach the hammock to an adjustable strap, like the atlas straps, a figure 8 on a bight is the correct knot since it does not loosen when not under load like a combination of hitches will. Yes, if you are wanting to make the hammock suspension adjustable as well, then a hitch would be the correct solution since you could easily untie and move the hitch.

The figure 8 can be a bit of a pain to untie once loaded in thinner cords, but can be untied using a blunt pick like a nail set.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiDelt496 View Post
    Actually, if you are wanting to create a fixed point on the hammock suspension to attach the hammock to an adjustable strap, like the atlas straps, a figure 8 on a bight is the correct knot since it does not loosen when not under load like a combination of hitches will. Yes, if you are wanting to make the hammock suspension adjustable as well, then a hitch would be the correct solution since you could easily untie and move the hitch.

The figure 8 can be a bit of a pain to untie once loaded in thinner cords, but can be untied using a blunt pick like a nail set.
    I have complete confidence in the figure 8 holding. I just don't understand choosing a knot which would require a nail to undue. On climbing rope the figure 8 is great. On the spectra chord, my experience is it was more hassle on the backend than it was worth. This is only my opinion, but when a nail is needed to undue a knot, I would prefer to find a different knot or setup that makes things easier on both ends.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    My reasoning is that it was a knot that I didnt have to worry about coming undone when the hammock was packed or when it was hung and I wasnt in it. It is not a good solution when you want to frequently untie the knot. However, if you are going to leave it tied and not untie it, it cant be beat. But if you do want to untie it, while it is a pain, it can be untied.

Another reason that i like this knot is that it does distribute the force quite well across the knot. It doesnt have a single point of pressure like bowlines and hitches often do.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    A clove hitch will not come undone but will release fairly easily compared to a figure eight on a bight. Whether or not one needs a keeper partly depends on the type of line in use. I do it automatically so I do not need to depend on the rope type. Blew one climbing instructors mind when I did one. The point of using the hitch is that it can be untied without damaging the rope trying to stuff in a makeshift fid because the knot jams under load. In addition one can change it easily to get the increments between the steps created by using thinks like atlas straps that provide finite adjustment straps.

FWIW having watched what is preached as climbing knots for 40 years I no longer regard them as as good source. It seems they have dumbed out what I learned was good practice 50+ years ago when we had riggers teaching us scouts and 40 years ago when I went to climbing school. Over reliance on figure 8 knots is one example.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast