DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Oldschool thread! I only changed clothing in my hammock once, only because the mosquitoes were so bad. Underwear and pants...same as pulling up my top quilt basically. Shirt, same but only had to pull it down and "untwist" it after sitting up or getting out a little.

So I know if I ever have to again, it won't be a problem in the hammock.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Old school thread. Old school answer.

Don't camp in Public Areas.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    W.B. Elderado
    Tarp
    W.B. Edge
    Insulation
    H.G. Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchbeetles
    Superfly is the way to go!

Hammock
    W.B. Elderado
    Tarp
    W.B. Edge
    Insulation
    H.G. Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchbeetles
    Yeah what Roloff said!!! Hahaha

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Old school thread. Old school answer.

Don't camp in Public Areas.
    The problem is everything becoming TOTALLY SWAMPED lately. Rona messed up so many things. Everyone is out. Even places I used to think were well of the beaten path are getting blazed.

This past weekend a guy at the trailhead said it best coming out of the pit toilet: "you can tell camping is much more popular". I went in and thought I was going to hit the ground dead from the odor.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    The problem is everything becoming TOTALLY SWAMPED lately. Rona messed up so many things. Everyone is out. Even places I used to think were well of the beaten path are getting blazed.

This past weekend a guy at the trailhead said it best coming out of the pit toilet: "you can tell camping is much more popular". I went in and thought I was going to hit the ground dead from the odor.
    There are more people out these days but I still find them avoidable. Though I also generally do not backpack in any of the wildernesses near Portland as there are too many people. And you need a permit and I have organization issues. Like I frequently decide I am going a couple days before I go. Not weeks in advance. I check the weather and wildfire maps and then make a decision. And my work schedule though my job is pretty flexible.

Though I will say that if I have packed a ways back in to the wilderness, if someone wants to look they are going to get an eyeful. Though I would never camp even a stones throw from someone else and if someone camps on top of me that is their problem and I will already be grumpy about them having poor wilderness etiquette. But my changing is the least of their concerns. I am likely going to be naked in the lake (or river). I do try to find somewhere private if I am with my partner and we are going to be intimate as parents don't need to explain some things to their kids. But as for nudity, Americans need to get over themselves. We are not culturally as uptight as Muslim nations but we are on that side of the distribution (we did outlaw alcohol at one point...)

If I were in a campground and I thought people had a good view I guess I would change in a bush or the outhouse.

Sort of related story. At the start of this Covid mess after everything shut down I went 'car camping', which for me means 'primitive' and I know several spots that few go to that are pretty nice. On may way back I stopped through one of the campgrounds in the area that does not have a gate (BTW, there were people camping in there despite the sign that said it was closed). Beside the sign that said the campground was closed there was another sign from the forest service that essentially said 'if you ignore that other sign do the following'. On the list was to maintain 6' distance. I was thinking "Six feet? I don't want to see or hear anyone." FWIW, the police definitely knew people were in the campground. One drove by my camp way out in the middle of nowhere (beautiful spot but 4WD and good tires are advised for the road to get there). If they were patrolling where I was they definitely knew these people were in the campground and just did not care,

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As a little kid, I was concerned that when diving off a board, I’d run out of air before I’d hit the water and resurface. That was solved by using a watch to ascertain I could hold my breathe easily for 20 seconds and it didn’t take 20 seconds to reach the water from a low diving board and resurface. So it is with getting dressed. How many seconds does it take to pull on a pair of pants - especially if you combine underwear and outer layer (pants) in one pull (with slight correctional adjustment later)? Same with pulling on a shirt. Your exposure time is very, very small. I’m guessing that if you have a tarp with doors, and stand behind the hammock opposite from the most accessible view, you’ll have little to worry about. Even if your tarp doesn’t have doors, the trees themselves offer some blockage. If someone is going to “peek” it would be pretty obvious to everyone else around and usually socially unacceptable.

Joy has no problem changing in the front seat of the jeep. I’m not a good “in the car” changer - I’m guessing because I’m always the one behind the wheel and a seat with a steering wheel in front doesn’t have as much room as the passenger seat. Yes, I could go around to the passenger side. But instead, if there is no acceptable rest room to change in, rectangle of camo material and can hang via lines captured in rolled up windows, between the open front and rear doors. That makes a “changing room” with the open doors blocking on two sides and the camo material and car itself blocking the other two sides. In our society, amazing but true, no one, male or female, seems to mind if they get a glimpse of Joy changing. If someone sees me changing, it’s a whole other thing.

I’ve tried changing in a hammock. it’s just not worth it. One thing that bothers me is I find I usually end up putting a lot of lbs per square inch in places that usually expect to weight to be distributed more widely.

Just guy your tarp down low, move behind your hammock, and gett’er done.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567