DH Tbird
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    whoopie!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by k0m4 View Post
    standing under the tarp sounds perfectly adequate to me. If someone wants to look into my shelter, it's their own fault if they go blind from what they see!
    ha-ha! +1 !
    "Not all who wander are lost." – JRR Tolkien

Hammock
    Wbbb, BMBH, Clark nx270, wbrr,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB webbing, python

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    It try to pitch my tarp where the holes are facing sideways to the fire. most of the action will be by the fire, and if I go to bed before the fire is out, is helps block some of the light. I usually change clothes in the hammock under the blanket anyway.
    Hiking is sort of an intimate experience, everyone sees other people at their grungiest and brushing their teeth and even discussing bodily functions. It doesn't bother me if someone strips down to their underwear, especially the typical hiker underwear, usually some utilitarian synthetic black or beige totally non-sexy boxers or briefs or "granny panties". You see more skin on the beach when people are in their bathing suits. If people don't want to see me changing, they can turn the other way.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Poncho dozens of uses

Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    Someone on another thread suggested changing & bathing while wearing a poncho. Total coverage with room to work underneath. Sort of like the kilt idea, with up top coverage for us gals.
    That's a great idea! Any poncho will do but those military style from online or local Army/Navy stores are very versatile. Not as hot in humid weather as many rain suits and dozens of other uses for them: alternative to tarp in emergency, end door for tarp, rainwater catchment system, cover for dry firewood, WP cover for backpack,... not just for squatting up against a tree all night in a rainstorm with biting ants crawling up you while your commanding officer yells at you to stay awake on watch, sorry I was having a bad flashback or something.

google.com site:hammockforums.net poncho+privacy

several good comments and suggestions

this had only 10 fairly obvious uses but there are many more reasons to carry a poncho:
    http://survival.outdoorlife.com/blog...ergency-poncho

I like the WB Superfly, but when doors are not needed they take more time to set up and in wind make more noise and are hotter in the summer, so a simple diamond tarp with poncho or something at one or both ends IF rain blows or facing trail often makes more sense. Poncho is a changing/bathing shelter for both genders almost anywhere even if you don't have time to set up a hammock+tarp and/or or just need to use a cat hole or eco safe toilet/rocket box etc. I like to sit/squat and enjoy the view keep my eyes scanning for predators, such as grizzly bears or angry moose defending their young etc while i drop human waste.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 05-17-2014 at 09:56. Reason: add links and related comments

What's Your Solution for "Privacy" in a Public Camping Area?

I use a light weight towel. Wrap it around your waist, pull your pants/underwear off, put your clean pants/underwear on. Done.

Of course if you need to clean yourself up as well, this option has it's limitations.

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/toggles
    also, amongst certain groups, a simple announcement of intent is all that is needed to keep people from looking. If not in that setting, then I'll usually change underwear under a blanket and then step out of hammock into pants.

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    Don't go camping in a public park area....Haha! I usually camp out, and volunteer every year at the Hamilton county fair (TN), and they have bathrooms. When I'm camping though (I usually go with friends) I hang my tarp so it comes down to just above the knee, or mid thigh, so if someone has a problem seeing my legs, that's their problem. you could try changing in your hammock, but I don't want to have my nakedness in my hammock. I hope this was helpful.
    Jonah,
    Then Jonah said, "I am a Hebrew, I worship Yahweh, the god of the heavens, who made the sea, and dry land.".
    Jonah 1:9 HCSV

"If the Arabs put down their guns, there would be no more war. If Israel put down their guns, there would be no more Israel."
    -Yoni Netanyahu

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps

What's Your Solution for "Privacy" in a Public Camping Area?

This sounds like a good excuse for a [little] tarp. Something small and lightweight would make for a good door or wall; makes for a backup ground cloth, too, suppose. Camp shower?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Seems to me to be a bit of a non issue for most folks. Campgrounds have bathrooms if one is in that mode. Back country should only need a tarp in the general public side and a bit of discretion. That is more than some groups bother with.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Change shirt, untie shoes, pull pants down to knees, sit in hammock, pull feet out of shoes and put feet in drybag, pull pants and socks the rest of the way off and into drybag, close drybag, swing legs into hammock, zip-up, change drawers in hammock under blanket or TQ. If done right, there'd be about two seconds between pulling your pants down to your knees and sitting in your hammock where you could pull a corner of your blanket or quilt across your lap if not being seen was that big of a concern, and for those two seconds, you've still got your drawers on.

Only been out a few times so I'm not sure if this is the system I'm keeping, but I like it so far. It's not for the privacy issue so much as keeping dirt and grit out of the hammock. Once my feet come out of my shoes, they never touch anything but the inside of a clean drybag and the inside of my hammock. Pants don't get dragged across the ground while changing out of them either. Eliminates the need for a ground cloth assuming you carry a drybag with room for your pants anyway. The only reason I keep my drawers on is I don't like the idea of my exposed junk rubbing over the zippered edge of my hammock.
    Last edited by dingbat; 05-19-2014 at 19:26.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast