Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Superfly Experience

Received my Superfly in the mail just in time to head out for the Memorial Day weekend. I have a few observations to share and a few questions.

Firstly, here are my riggings.

Conventional "A" configuration:

and "Porch Mode" with found-in-the-forest poles:

(Note: Once I had the fly rigged I shifted the hammock itself a bit to the right, so that the foot end wasn't hanging out.)

My first observation is that the seams where the side pullouts are taped and sewn DEFINITELY need to be seam sealed. They were leaking from the very start, even in a modest rain.

Second observation (and a related question) has to do with the "porch mode". I know I pitched it higher than one would/could with trekking poles. I wanted to be able to walk comfortably beneath it. The "awning", therefore, slopes back toward the ridgeline. No water sheds off the FRONT of this configuration. It all sheds off the BACK (where I am not).

The only problem I encountered in this case is the "tape" that is sewn in at the ridgeline (see below). It acted like a little dam, retaining water on the awning roof. The stretchy Silnylon would sag from the weight of the water, effectively increasing the height of the dam.

I sorta wish that this ridge tape had been stitched on the inside/underside of the ridge. I am tempted to pitch the Superfly inside-out next time, even though it means that I will have to forgo use of the side pullouts (as they will now be on the wrong side).

I'm tempted to add four new pullouts (in the same locations) on the opposite sides, so that I have them in both places. I'd like to be able to use one of the "no-sew pole mods" even when I have the tarp inverted to eliminate the "dam effect".

Any down-side to pitching the Superfly inside out that I have not considered?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RkyMtnMan; 05-26-2014 at 17:54.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The Supefly is not seam sealed anywhere so yes you'll need to seal the side pull outs. With regards to the RL, it is also not sealed but it does not leak due to the way it is sewn. If you are going to invert it, seal the RL first. Personally I'd just adjust the pitch to divert the water to one end of the tarp.
    Last edited by Bubba; 05-26-2014 at 19:01.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

I thank you for the various settings photos. Beats the SF manufacturer sales photos. I do like the natural looking green colour of the Souperfly. Can I assume you have hiked a lot? Is it as lightweight as you expected?

Quote Originally Posted by Windowlicker View Post
    Can I assume you have hiked a lot? Is it as lightweight as you expected?
    It's VERY light weight. But that's not a huge issue with me. I hiked and canoe camped a lot 35+ years ago; but these days I camp more often from my truck or motorcycle. In no way would you call or consider me an ounce/gram counter.

In fact, I might even consider exchanging a bit MORE weight for a bit LESS elasticity in the fabric. But it's too soon to rush to judgment.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    its only creating a "dam'' since the sides are horizontal.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Just a thought... instead of pitching the front high on both sides, lower one side a bit. It should allow the water to drain off the side.
    My second thought is most rain I'm in comes with wind, and that setup looks like it could go flying.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    its only creating a "dam'' since the sides are horizontal.
    I can't follow what you're saying here. The awning over the "porch" is definitely not level/horizontal.

Though it may not appear so in the pics, the front edge (supported by the poles) is higher than the ridgeline. Water runs readily downhill toward the ridge until it meets that 3/8" (or thereabouts) tall barrier created by the taped seam. At that point it accumulates, and by the time it's deep enough to flow OVER the "dam", it's sufficiently heavy that the Silnylon has stretched and sagged. So it *doesn't* flow over the ridgeline at all. It just keeps accumulating.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Just a thought... instead of pitching the front high on both sides, lower one side a bit. It should allow the water to drain off the side.
    My second thought is most rain I'm in comes with wind, and that setup looks like it could go flying.
    Your first thought is not a bad idea. I might give that a try next time. I think I might have to pitch the ridgeline as well, rather than just elevating one forward corner.

This weekend's rain was straight down. The tarp worked like a charm, except for having to reach up and lift the tarp every so often such that the accumulated water would run off. Nevertheless, it kept me dry enough to read while enjoying the thunder boomers.

And if the wind had picked up, I would/could have quickly and easily reverted to the more protected "A" configuration.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    if the sides were a little slanted down, i dont think water could collect.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Great photos... thanks. I was kind of wondering about that very thing. I haven't used my SF in porch mode yet. However, I did modify where my tarp gets pulled out using Dutch clip-on pullouts. That thread is here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p-on-pull-outs

So, if you wanted to flip your tarp over so the ridgeline's grosgrain seam is underneath, you could do that using those clip-on pullouts. I have only used them twice but I really like being able to modify where my SF's pullouts are located.

HTH
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    if the sides were a little slanted down, i dont think water could collect.
    I don't mean to appear dense; I'm just not clear on what part of the tarp you're calling the "sides". The sides of my awning (actually the Superfly's doors, one door per end) ARE slanted down. Rather severely.

Are you saying I should use shorter poles? Yes, if I used shorter poles, the front edge of the "porch" would be lower than the ridgeline; the water would run the other way, AWAY from the ridge, and would not collect. But then I could not stand up beneath it, and I would have to walk through a waterfall every time I entered or exited. Not my first choice.

If, instead, what you mean is that I could elevate the CENTER of my porch (essentially making a gable out of my awning) -- by adding a third pole between the two already there in the pics, then I suppose you're right. I might have to elevate the center of the tarp's ridgeline as well. The water would run to the sides instead of back toward the ridgeline. That seems mighty complex, though. And I'm not sure how to elevate the center of the ridgeline without putting a pole right where the center of the hammock is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast