Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    WB adj. webbing

Moving to Colorado, need help getting to know the area!

I've lived all my life in Ohio (minus 2 years in China), but my hubby and I will be moving to North Park, CO in a few months. I've only car camped locally and backpacked in the Smokies, but I know nothing about the Rockies or anywhere else out west. So, what do I need to know? Looks like bear-proof canisters are required, but what else is different? And what recommendations do you have nice day hikes, car camping locations, and short (3ish days) backpacking loops? We'll be coming out in June to house hunt, and we'd like to camp a few nights then, too, but we don't know where to go... Thanks for any advice you can offer a newcomer!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    The most important thing to know is the weather changes very quickly. I had one experience (in 35 years, so probably worst case scenario) where it went from sunny and 78*F to 30*F and snowing in less than an hour. And yes, it can snow in June in the mountains. The first year I was here it snowed 19inches at St. Mary's Glacier (~10,000ft) where I was living. Here's tomorrow's temp range for 9am: 38-57*F. In other words, probably going to be in the low 50's, could be as cold as 38* and possibly as warm as 57*. Around here it's wise to pay fairly close attention to the weather.

The key is to be prepared. In the winter, it's not wise to drive around without a 0* sleeping bag in your car.

It will take you about 2-3 weeks to get your body adjusted to the altitude so you probably don't want to go hiking and/or camping close to 10,000ft when you come visit. Altitude sickness is really unpleasant... blinding headache, intense nausea that can last for several days after you come back down from altitude. Been there, done that, lesson learned - still have the psychological scars.

It's dry. Sip water all day long. If your pee is nearly clear and only slightly yellow, you're probably sufficiently hydrated. If it's dark yellow, you're dehydrated.

I suggest camping around Decker in June primarily because 1) it's one of the best places around to camp and 2) it's only around 6,000ft, which is going to be a stretch for you anyway hypoxia-wise. If you can give yourselves a few days (a week would be great) to acclimatize before you go camping, you'll feel a lot better.

Get a real topo map of the area. Keep a compass with you even if you have a GPS. Pay attention to where you are in relation to the sun, landmarks, etc. or you'll get lost even if you're only a short distance from camp or the trail.

Every year there are people who just "went out for a day hike" and got themselves into serious trouble because they were unprepared to spend the night in cold weather. Plan on not being one of them.

What you put in your day pack should be a reflection of the Rule of 3's: 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. That's how long you can survive in adverse conditions. I carry four 3-mil contractor bags, an SOL bivy bag, a small tarp, duct tape, and a fire kit in my day pack at a minimum. For insulation, I can fill the contractor bags with pine boughs, leaves, and/or grass. Then, lay 2 end-to-end underneath, 2 end-to-end on top and you've got yourself a nice warm "me" sandwich. Put yourself in the bivy bag and you're protected against the rain. Add a fire and you've turned a life threatening situation into a minor inconvenience.

As one of my mentors once, so eloquently, put it: This is not Disneyland - it's Colorado. Every story doesn't have a happy ending here.

HTH
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    BTW, you might be interested in this thread for a hang near Aspen, CO: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...gt-This-Summer

I'd take note of the altitude, though. This hang will be up around 8,000ft. The rule of thumb aircraft pilots use is that you'll start getting hypoxic about 5,000ft above where you live. Unless you can get yourself acclimatized for 2 weeks at around 5,000ft, this is probably be too high for you.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Images
    North Park is not a town just a big area in North Central CO with cattle ranchs and oil/natgas rigs.
    Ft Collins would probably be the best town to house hunt in unless your husband is going to start cattle ranching.
    I'd look for a nice state park for some basic car camping until you two can get used to the area.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    WB adj. webbing
    Well, we would have loved Fort Collins, but the teaching job he got is in Walden, smack dab in the middle of the big open area you're describing. So that's where we're stuck!

Thanks for all the info, silver. I have no experience with altitude issues, so it'll be interesting to see how I feel when we visit in June. The hubs didn't mention any problems from his trip out for the interview, other than getting winded a lot more easily. But we'll definitely take it easy till we're used to it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jennalyn216 View Post
    Well, we would have loved Fort Collins, but the teaching job he got is in Walden, smack dab in the middle of the big open area you're describing. So that's where we're stuck!
    Walden, wow! Wondeful little Western town.
    Bordered by two National forest. You have a wildlife preserve just South of town,
    and skiing in Steamboat. If you are a country girl at heart you just hit the jackpot.
    If you are a city girl with desires of culture and concrete you are heading into hell.

Your husband is going to absolutely love teacher there.
    Rural Western kids still say yes ma'm and yes sir. They will renew your sprite in America.

Best of luck to the both of you.

PS- The best advice I can offer is to get a good full sized 4x4 and keep food water and blankets in it at all times.
    Starting in late fall stock your pantry with a months worth of food and never run low on firewood.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    North Park is not a town just a big area in North Central CO with cattle ranchs and oil/natgas rigs...
    I put North Park in and it came up as a suburb of Denver, near Broomfield. Not it I guess since Walden is on the other side of the Rockies. Speaking of that, so is Fort Collins. Guessing that's not a commute you had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jennalyn216 View Post

Thanks for all the info, silver. I have no experience with altitude issues, so it'll be interesting to see how I feel when we visit in June. The hubs didn't mention any problems from his trip out for the interview, other than getting winded a lot more easily. But we'll definitely take it easy till we're used to it.
    I've visited out there a few times and every time I spent the first night in either Denver or Lyons - and had a raging headache for a day. But after that, 10K+ no problem on the remaining days (well, except for the belabored breathing). I'm sure it all affects us all differently, but I see no reason to think you can't make a nice trip somewhere - maybe get some business done in Walden first while acclimating?

The loop around from Grand Lake over Trail Ridge and into Estes Park is gorgeous. I would highly recommend the Bear Lake area just past Estes. There's a nice campground there, from which you can do numerous day trips to some fantastic high lakes. Emerald Lake is small, but drop dead glassy. Its a nice easy day hike. The Loch is a wonderful day hike destination, too, a little longer hike but an extremely scenic one with waterfalls and long views. These are very popular hikes and there's a good chance the campground is booked up, but no issue just driving in and taking the shuttle to the THs. If you're interested in backcountry camping, there are many sites to get to from these THs, the best one IMO being the Andrews Glacier site at about 10.5K, with a short, arduous climb up to the glacier and its tarn from the campsite below. For a REALLY spectacular view, climb the glacier! (one of those things that should be done by those who can, WHILE its still there)
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    WB adj. webbing
    Well, I've been in a city for the last 18 years, but I'm from a small town. Not as small as Walden, but we're looking forward to a quieter, slower pace of life. And my husband is really excited about teaching there because he's been in an inner city charter school this year, with the worst of the worst kids in the city. It sure will be an adjustment, but we're excited for the adventure! And great advice about supplies in the car (truck) and stocking up on things at home. :-)

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    WB adj. webbing
    dakotaross - Thanks for the details on specific hikes and camping locations! Our plan is to head to Walden first to take care of business, like you said, but then spend a couple days in the mountains before driving back. I'll look up those spots you mentioned for sure!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I hope we get a "trip report" out of this.
    I'm jealous of the move to Colorado.

• + New Posts