Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Diy bridge
    Images
    i carry (gasp!) about 30 feet of extra 550 cord cuz it's so flexible for different needs. it gets wet in the NW, it gets used as a clothesline often enough to justify the weight, and i can set up different storm pitches too. definitely worth it for my system.

i also generally have a group with at least one new recruit, and paracord makes comes in handy for that too. adjusting quilts and tarps, tying things outside of backpacks and whatever.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Nice! I didn't win a pass this year. Seems like it was 1 in 8 this round. And I agree with the statement about weird weather that time of year.

I hung at Peggy's Pond (95% frozen) early this month and plan on attempting more alpine hangs soon. I was a tad short on one side, but some general purpose amsteel finished the job (I buy it from Seattle Marine near the Locks). Look for widow makers. It can be perfectly calm and then later in the night you'll hear howling death winds rushing through the valley about 10 seconds away. Now I've decided to keep some ear plugs on hand; it wasn't the best nights sleep before Daniel the next day.

I plan to hang at Blanca, Twin or Silver Lake (have not decided yet--opinions?) around Monte Cristo in the next week or two. Bring on the alpine hanging!

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm also planning to hang at Blanca Lake later this summer (my roomie picked the location.) Haven't researched it enough to be sure about hanging spots yet, but I'm hopeful. Let me know if you go!

I have hung happily so far this year on the coast at Cape Alava, in Enchanted Valley (and one of the riverside camps on the way back), and Mt. St. Helens in the Sheep Canyon area (including two nights of tarp-less hammock stargazing off of the Loowit trail right at the tree line...no water fore miles, but the stars were epic!) Hoping to squeeze in at least another 2-3 trips on top of the planned Enchantments trip.

I've been really happy with my Hammock Gear 20-degree top and bottom quilt set so far, down to a couple nights at 40 degrees. Not so sure it's going to be warm enough down in the 30's (likely in the Enchantments in September), so starting to research further options for staying warm. Not excited about adding any additional weight, though...

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Quote Originally Posted by Playapixie View Post
    Haven't researched it enough to be sure about hanging spots yet, but I'm hopeful. Let me know if you go!
    Will do. Should be from what I gather in any photos I've seen.

I've been really happy with my Hammock Gear 20-degree top and bottom quilt set so far, down to a couple nights at 40 degrees. Not so sure it's going to be warm enough down in the 30's (likely in the Enchantments in September), so starting to research further options for staying warm. Not excited about adding any additional weight, though...
    My cheap and light methods for warmth (ordered by most useful).

1. Wear a beanie.
    2. Eat before bed.
    3. Heat a water bottle/bladder.
    4. G'night burpees
    5. Space blanket (you'll see previous threads on it in the search).

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    freeze my butt off
    Suspension
    duck tape&bailwire
    ...to the Enchantment Lakes in September...
    Nice... Curious how did your trip go? Or still not there yet? I just finished hammock hanging four full nights at Mt. Loop Highway by Darrington, and what a blast it was!
    noob.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick_the_fat View Post
    Nice... Curious how did your trip go? Or still not there yet? I just finished hammock hanging four full nights at Mt. Loop Highway by Darrington, and what a blast it was!
    Sweet. I love that area; hiked Lake 22 in the rain yesterday. Where all did you go? I'm hoping to still make a hang there this Fall at Twin Lakes through Poodle Dog Pass--we'll see.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Last year like 7 of us entered and didn't win. This year 2 of us enter and win a Core Saturday entry pass in July--go figure. Pumped I get to hammocking (bivvy?) works out in this alpine area.

Though with the Winter we've had, if you didn't win, I'd seriously go up weekend of June 6th. I'm betting it will look like mid-Summer. We're still considering it since it's ($5/person/day)(7 persons)(4 days). June 6th would be free.

Hammock
    Draumr XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock3
    Suspension
    straps
    Dawn, remember Aasgard Pass is NOT your friend in bad weather! pack your micro spikes and trekking poles at the very least. Black Diamond makes a combi hiking pole/mini axe called a Whippet. Also, remember it's High Hunt season, so you'll probably run into hunters who've backpacked into the area. Bet they'd really be interested in our ultralight stuff!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Washington alpine hang zones (what areas do/don't work for hammocks?) Enchan...

Made it through the Enchantments last September and the weather was immaculate. We only had a Snow Lakes permit so we camped there 3 nights and did day hikes into the core. I was totally scouting hammock sites all over up there though and did see a variety of areas where hanging would work out well, so I wouldn't hesitate to go back with a core permit and hammock gear. Didn't win one this year, though.

It was in the high 30's at night and I stayed warm enough with my 20-degree quilt set, but I also wore my down jacket and a down hat. I take a hot water bottle with me to bed, too, which I think is the real secret. :-)

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Realize I never shared my trip report on the Enchantments from on WTA.org: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-r...-25.7092327638

And here are pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/playap...57647957618711

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast