WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web

A question of durability

I received my Skeeter Beater Pro ! week ago and I already ripped up the bug net. Actually My 2 year old daughter ripped it by jumping out of the hammock and into the bug net. What can I do? She has declared herself the Hammock Princess and I don't want to discourage that.
    So I have 4 questions;
    1. What is the best way to sew/patch no-see-um netting?
    2. Are higher quality hammocks like the WBBB or a HH considerly more durable? (I will be using my hammock for wilderness travel as my only shelter so it needs to be atleast tough enough to stand up to a 2 year old girl.)
    3. One of the problems I have with the Skeeter Beater Pro is that I sink in so far that the sides close in on top of me (I'm a big guy), and I have trouble getting back out. Do any of you big guys have trouble getting out of a WB hammock?
    4.Because of the trouble of getting out of a side entry hammock would I be better off with a HH ?
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    4.Because of the trouble of getting out of a side entry hammock would I be better off with a HH ?
    Only one way to tell for sure and that would be to try it out. That's my situation. I need the bottom entry for egress purposes. As far as the HH bugnet.. people have flipped the hammock and ended up lying on the bug net and it has held up.

So your SB Pro gets stitched up on the bug net and becomes the Hammock princess' personal hammock. A good way to teach her restraint and the importance of caring for objects. It's not a jumping platform but you know... it just might be the perfect "relax and take a nap" space. I assmune she is not allowed to jump on the bed... well this is a bed. So no jumping. But beyond that let her have it for a chill out spot. She can even help you sew up the net. Let her pick out the thread and show her how to use a needle. But make sure she won't hurt herself with the sharp end. Sounds like a teachable moment.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You could get some matching thread and carefully stitch the rip back together. Apply a little silicone/seam sealer to threads to hold stitching.
    A patch of matching netting could be made, cut patch a few inches bigger than the tear, hem all around patch, which will give the patch a little more durability. Stitch patch over the ripped section, being careful to eliminate any wrinkles in fabric. Again, doctor up stitches with seam sealer or clear silicone. Let dry. Kids will be kids.
    If your not worried about looks, apply clear shipping tape to both sides of rip. or iron-on patches could be used. Duct tape can be used when in the woods.

**Be careful with the iron's tempature setting, mosquito net could melt. Use a damp towel under area to reduce risk of melt-down.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I've never used a Skeeter Beater Pro, but from online videos and such it looks a lot like the Byer Moskito Hammock. I have the Byer for backyard use and IMHO it is much less robust than a Hennessy. Not everyone likes the HH slit entry, but it really is simple and makes getting in very easy w/o any chance of flipping over.

If you're looking for something for your kid, I have a HH Scout that's unused (got them with the purchase of other HH's) that I'd be willing to sell. PM me.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I weigh 280lbs, and my HH Ultimate Survivor doesn't appear to mind one bit. It is rated for upto 350lbs. If you are having trouble with egress on your hammock the bottom entry on the HH might be the ticket for you.

My thoughts on entry/egress: the hammock is very easy to get in and out of. Getting at your gear and arranging your sleeping pad/sheets/top cover is a nightmare. I am planning on getting 2Q/ZQ mod #2 as soon as I can.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Thanks for the good info.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    3. One of the problems I have with the Skeeter Beater Pro is that I sink in so far that the sides close in on top of me (I'm a big guy), and I have trouble getting back out. Do any of you big guys have trouble getting out of a WB hammock?
    Have you tried laying on the diagonal. I had problems with shoulder squeeze in my ENO, until I got the diagonal lay figured out. As for the Blackbird, I have no problem laying flat or getting in/out of it. I'm 5'10", 255 (as of now). We need Hogg_Tyed to chime in on this one. I wonder if he has tried out his new BB yet.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    Beast,

I've got the SB Pro and I've never had a problem with quality. I'm about to replace it with a SB UL just because it's lighter.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shrek View Post
    As for the Blackbird, I have no problem laying flat or getting in/out of it. I'm 5'10", 255 (as of now). We need Hogg_Tyed to chime in on this one. I wonder if he has tried out his new BB yet.
    I think the problem of getting out is less related to weight than to other things. I can not stand from a chair without the use of my arms. I know some pretty big people who have no difficulty doing that. I know some really slender people who must help themselves up and out. The other propblem I have is getting the sides low enough to be able to get a good stance on the ground without swinging the hammock back quite a ways. Hammocks with side tie outs would seem to present more of an obstacle in that regard. While I am sure weight plays a factor in those situations it is not the only, nor I suspect, the deciding factor.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The other propblem I have is getting the sides low enough to be able to get a good stance on the ground without swinging the hammock back quite a ways. Hammocks with side tie outs would seem to present more of an obstacle in that regard.
    In that one specific situation, I think the BlackBird may be unlike others. It's side-tie on the zipper side is 'above' the hammock body. I don't know that it affects egress one way or another, but is worth noting.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast