Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    work in progress
    Suspension
    work in progress

UQ Vs. pad in a bridge

Hi All,

For those of you in bridge hammocks do you find there is much of a comfort difference when utilizing a uq v. a pad?
    Many thanks!
    Ben

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    As long as your asking questions, I have one too----------do you get condensation with a pad? I've spent dozens of nights in a bridge with a UQ---very comfortable with no condensation. I've never tried a pad. (it would be nice to have the option to go to ground in an emergency situation, or when you cant find decent trees.................................)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    In the low 20's, I've gotten a pretty good amount of moisture with the pad. I'm wrapped up in heavy field and stream sleeping bag and in the morning it is very damp under me and the top of the pad is wet. But because the bag is so thick, none of it gets in with me. This in my RR.

I time my winter trips for sunny, cold weather, so I dry out the bag by hanging it on a bush in the sun while I day hike. The bag and of course the pad dry quick, so they are probably more very damp than wet. I also have another winter hammock (clark) and use it with UQ...I don't get any condensation with that no matter the temp.

But my pad is light, cheap, and very, very effective at keeping me warm in cold weather. Never any cold spots, just lay on it.

To the ops question, the pad in a bridge is very comfortable, to the point that I think its more comfortable with a pad than without. A pad and a bridge do go together IMO.
    Last edited by outdoorsguy; 05-18-2014 at 10:25.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Them are good words
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    +1 on damp but comfortable in RR w pad. I once left my bag to dry while day hiking only to find while it was sunny up on the high ridge where I hiked that my camp ended up in valley fog the 2nd half of the day, condensing and dripping on the bag. Yuk! LOL

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    In the low 20's, I've gotten a pretty good amount of moisture with the pad. I'm wrapped up in heavy field and stream sleeping bag and in the morning it is very damp under me and the top of the pad is wet. But because the bag is so thick, none of it gets in with me. This in my RR.

I time my winter trips for sunny, cold weather, so I dry out the bag by hanging it on a bush in the sun while I day hike. The bag and of course the pad dry quick, so they are probably more very damp than wet. I also have another winter hammock (clark) and use it with UQ...I don't get any condensation with that no matter the temp.

But my pad is light, cheap, and very, very effective at keeping me warm in cold weather. Never any cold spots, just lay on it.

To the ops question, the pad in a bridge is very comfortable, to the point that I think its more comfortable with a pad than without. A pad and a bridge do go together IMO.
    Now there is a statement that is rarely heard. Although I have heard it before in relation to BMBHs, especially because a pad can widen the shoulder areas quite a bit. I have used a 20" wide pad in a BMBH quite a bit when it is almost warm enough to use nothing, but then about 0400 or so I realize I need a little something, so I add a cut off short piece of WM blue pad. This has always worked fine, I don't really feel any added discomfort and I have stayed dry. Maybe because I am not on it all night?

But as for fighting sweat or condensation during the colder months, UQ pr pad I have that problem whipped into non-existence. I sleep in Stephensons Warmlite VB clothing with fuzzystuff lining. All my insulation or pads are bone dry no matter what is going on temp or humidity wise. I realize this approach is not for every one, and it is not for me all year long, but during the cold months I have been very comfortable with this approach, as well as dry!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    Glad to hear that. Been curious re VBL. I had mixed results when I tried it on sox XC skiing, but my feet sweat like crazy.

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    work in progress
    Suspension
    work in progress
    For the price it doesn't sound that UQ are fairing well with the bridge crew...

As per the question about condensation, I've been suing a neo air and the onl bmbh and not had any issues.

Thanks for the thoughts!
    Ben

Hammock
    Bear Mt Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Neo Air All Season
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have only had a pad with my bridge hammock and never a problem with condensation.

Oh and to the original question: I like the pad because it provides a flatter lay. Without the pad there is some shoulder squeeze (for some) but the hammock is not as tippy because your center of gravity is lower.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    I'm another noob. I had the same questions when considering whether to DIY a bridge hammock. I've since acquired a greater level of comfort sleeping in even a 10' gathered end hammock (though I prefer the 11' hammock)

Nonetheless, I'm glad to see the questions answered, because using a pad in a bridge hammock makes going to ground much less unpleasant.

BTW, If someone with sewing skills owes you a favor, it didn't take me more than 4 hours to sew my first underquilt. It looks good and functions quite well. It also cost only $55 vs. the $$$ paid for a Neo Air xLight/XTherm or the $$ paid for an REI Flash. It also cost less than any ready made underquilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast