Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders

Do I dare?

The forecast for Tuesday is 70s and it's the first day in months it's nice. I am thinking about going to some public land and setting up my hammock to sleep after working third shift the night before. I have set up my hammock there before, buy never slept I usually just take a book and chill. I am realizing that my work schedule is not going to allow me as many overnight trips this year, and I am just trying to take advantage of what I have. The thought if actually falling asleep in the middle of the day is worrying me a little, but it sounds great to relax too. I do not have a backyard I live in a third floor apartment. The land I am thinking about going to is along the banks of a river and has some hiking trails, but also it's open to hunters and fishermen. I have set up my hammock there before and have never run into anyone. So should I go for it?

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Yes!!! Sometimes I go to the state park if I have to and just go to least visited picnic area to hang and snooze, go for it do what you can when you can. Working odd schedules force us to do this. But to keep the flame alive sometime We have to go that extra mile besides it'll be a great sleep!
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    If it's open season, wear a bright orange tee shirt...otherwise go for it.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Insulation
    Hg 0 incubator
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    Take your bear spray if you have any, and it will give some protection

Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewmon71 View Post
    Take your bear spray if you have any, and it will give some protection
    I am liking this suggestion, although if it were me I would probably end up accidently spraying myself with it.

Adventuregirl,
    I too am a little hesitant to sleep in public since I keep thinking about being vulnerable and the various female joggers that have been snatched and dragged off the trail of a local city lake that was near my old apartment. A few thoughts: Since you have not run into people before while chilling in your hammock, chances are that it would not be a good hunting ground for human predators. If you string a tarp, nobody is going to know who might be in the hammock, sleeping defenseless you, or a nasty tempered big guy who is more than they can take on. I hope you go for it, and I hope that I go for it too.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Using stealth camp strategies would help you create a more secure hanging site:

Cover and concealment. behind bushes or undergrowth
    Using muted colors or camo (better!)
    Hanging your hammock and entering your site out of view of the trail.
    Setting up obstacles in your site's approach that would make noise: small piles of dry leaves or loose rocks, a bear bell tied to a piece of fishing line stretched across the approach to your site
    selecting a site with just one way to approach

The nice thing about hammocks is that you can hang them where it's inconvenient for passers-by to stumble on your setup. i.e. middle of a thicket, over water, 20' up in a tree

There are plenty of YouTube videos and articles on stealth camping. Maybe seeing some other setups will give you a better idea of how to hang in peace.

Of course, getting a friend (with the same off-time schedule) into hammocking is a great way to not hang alone and spread the good word!

Hope that helps!
    The meaning of Life is to live it

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    It ended up being a rainy day yesterday. I have yet to set up my Superfly an didn't want my first attempt to be in the rain. I will plan on trying next week.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfish Comet View Post
    I am liking this suggestion, although if it were me I would probably end up accidently spraying myself with it.

Adventuregirl,
    I too am a little hesitant to sleep in public since I keep thinking about being vulnerable and the various female joggers that have been snatched and dragged off the trail of a local city lake that was near my old apartment. A few thoughts: Since you have not run into people before while chilling in your hammock, chances are that it would not be a good hunting ground for human predators. If you string a tarp, nobody is going to know who might be in the hammock, sleeping defenseless you, or a nasty tempered big guy who is more than they can take on. I hope you go for it, and I hope that I go for it too.
    Or you could just take an extra large set of boots or crocs and place them visibly on the ground. Wear a plaid shirt and people will just think there is a slumbering lumberjack .

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    Or you could just take an extra large set of boots or crocs and place them visibly on the ground. Wear a plaid shirt and people will just think there is a slumbering lumberjack .
    Ha ha yeah, that sounds more like disguise camping.
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Hammock
    DIYing 2 tablecloths, 2 argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images
    Been there, tough decision. Sadly, in many places it is now hyper against the law to be sleeping during the day. However, if I am more likely to avoid authorities than like-minded woods lovers, I would probably *stealth camp* as well as possible, and, well, go for it. Somebody's got to start somewhere.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast