Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Consider stuffing the hammock with UQ attached and TQ in the hammock including the bugnet and stuff that in the stuff sack of your choice. I use a 8 - 13 liter dry bag. I like the shorter setup & take down times. The bag rides horizontal in the bottom of my pack.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm a stuff/compression sack hoarder. But most of them are packed away and never used. Last year I switched to a large 40L pack liner (just a big dry bag) and I keep my TQ and UQ in there. Load it up and compress it into the bottom of my pack. Before it tries to "reinflate", I pack my hammock, clothes and food on top of that. It really saves space; so much space that on my last trip this past weekend I couldn't tighten my Atmos 65 pack down any further! Never though that would happen!

Sometimes it's almost necessary to compress though. I still use a sleeping bag in the winter and it's light but huge. I compress it lightly so it fits the width of my pack.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I do both depending on the pack I am carrying. If I am carrying a heavy load with my Gregory Baltoro, the quilts go in a Sea-to-Summit Event Compression sack and are put in the sleeping bag compartment. If I am carrying my frameless pack or any other "stuff sack" style back pack, then the quilts go in a trash compactor bag with my other "dry" gear and are just pushed to the bottom of the pack. I found that heavy framed packs offer more ability to use stuff sacks for most anything and the lighter pack are better served by packing things loose. Things like food and toiletries are still used in stuff sacks.

Thats what I have found to work best for me.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I use a reasonably water proof sack and stuff all soft squish able items into it, ala' Mike Clelland. I don't use a trash compactor bag because when I use it as a "door mat" for my hammock, it picks up everything... static electricity, I think.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I use a pack liner (for now) and stuff everything into the pack. I then roll the top up and tuck it to the side (elephant trunk closure). No wet goods. Everything that needs to stay dry goes in the pack. Anything that doesn't has a special pocket on the outside of the pack.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    During the winter, I was using the "Lazy Slug Tubes" and stuffing hammock, TQ, UQ all inside the LST's down into the bottom of my pack (Osprey Kestrel 68). I'm trying to do it differently over the summer, having changed my pack out for a smaller (but probably heavier) assault pack. One option here is to go the "Shug" route, and stuff the TQ/UQ into a trash bag in the bottom of the pack, and then pack the hammock, stove, clothes, and food on top of that in the main compartments. External pouches carry all my little stuff...compass,straps, pegs, etc... My plan at the moment is to leave the tarp in skins and attach it to the outside of the pack, but I've not yet loaded this all out to see how it works.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I stuff the quilts into the pack

But the pack is designed for that.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I stuff the quilts into the pack

But the pack is designed for that.
    Is that your Zimmerbuilt pack? Are the seams taped?
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I use a rain coat that covers my whole pack so i dont worry about a pack liner or cover (either a parcho or a packa depending on the trip) sometimes I just stuff everything into my pack loose *(works very well) some times I put things in stuff sacks (gives me a little more pack space when carrying a winter load) I prefer just packing things loose---makes packing up quite abit faster, plus as the trip progresses and I get rid of space used for food, I can let my quilts expand a little more than usual. (not a big fan of over compressing my very expensive quilts!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Is that your Zimmerbuilt pack? Are the seams taped?
    Yes, that's the Zimmerbuilt.

I don't think the seams are taped (I'm at work wand will have to look when I get home), I didn't specify seam taping. The zippers are waterproof, and the entire pack is Xpac VX07 and I'm extremely confident that it is, for all intents and purposes, waterproof. If I anticipated any kind of inundation, I'd probably use a liner, but the terrain I hike in normally doesn't have that kind of danger. Mostly crossing dry creeks or very low creeks so I'm not going to fall in any deep water while crossing them, and if it rains, everything is under the poncho anyway. But I've never had any problem with anything getting wet in the pack. Chris does good work.

I hope that one day, somebody with a bigger manufacturing capacity can produce packs specifically designed for hammock camping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast