Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images

Packing UQ, Top Quilt - Shove in backpack or use compression sacks?

Right now I use compression bags for "things that can compress" and put other items like socks, etc. in the gaps to make use of all my pack space. I've heard that some just stuff all that in the pack without compression sacks and they feel they get more in the pack.

What say ye?

I am going to pack mine both ways to see what I think but I'd love to hear from people who have already done their own comparison.
    (WM)===:::

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    I've been experimenting lately. But personally I'd like to have my quilts in some type of water resistant stuff sack in case it rains. Since my night will be pretty much horrible if my down quilts get soaked, I don't care fo the idea of having the loose in the pack. Not to mention if they get caught on anthing, that would be bad to ruin a $250 quilt that. I just figured out that I can fit both my new 20 degree downTQ and my 0 degree down UQ into the single compression sack from my old alps 20 degree synthetic sleeping bag and both quilts packed together in the compression sack are smaller than just the synthetic bag alone. I am sort of new at hammocking, so others may feel differently.

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    I am doing both. I put my synthetic underquilt in a compression bag to synch it down. Then put my down sleeping bag loose in my pack to fill the voids. I tried to put both in loose but it didn't seem that the synthetic underquilt packed as well.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've heard of people stuffing directly into their packs (usually into a pack liner - like a trash compactor bag - to ensure dryness). Plenty seem to do it with lots of success.

I'm a bit more OCD and like to have everything in its place. As a result, I use stuff sacks and do pretty much what you do - pack those in and then use smaller articles (pillow, socks, beanie, etc.) to pack in and fill the gaps. I do a fair amount of backpacking and that approach has always worked for me.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    I've heard of people stuffing directly into their packs (usually into a pack liner - like a trash compactor bag - to ensure dryness). Plenty seem to do it with lots of success.

I'm a bit more OCD and like to have everything in its place. As a result, I use stuff sacks and do pretty much what you do - pack those in and then use smaller articles (pillow, socks, beanie, etc.) to pack in and fill the gaps. I do a fair amount of backpacking and that approach has always worked for me.
    That's what I do now. Always interested in hearing other's POV's.

Thanks for all the replies.
    (WM)===:::

Images
    i double dry bag my hammock and quilts. taking all of the air out and sealing the dry bag, compresses it, and keeps any moisture out too.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Crammed loose into the bottom of my dry bag liner. I do love stuff sacks, so that just leaves a couple for other stuff. I use the JRB sacks for clothes, and the other gets the rest of the mess.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a 50 liter backpack, but the lower half has a curve in it that makes it difficult to put larger stuff sacks in (I have a synthetic bag) I want my bag in the bottom of the pack so I use a pack liner and shove it it filling all of that curved space. If I get a down bag or a quilt then I might use the stuff sacks, it is all about what is efficient and effective way to pack and deploy items in my quilt.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I have a gg mariposa and i have found that doing it via shugs way- stuffing quilts in a compactor bag at bottom and then i usually have my hammock in its own stuff sack and tarp too ( if not wet) then my food and cook kit and clothes.. with the days food on top. I utilize the outside pockets for my small stuff and water..this works great for me. Just bought an ohm 2.0 to try out for summer and a unaweep for the long haul.. that is still a work of progress as it takes like six weeks to build. but that one should be able to carry a sizeable winter load with no problem and for just 3lbs you cant beat it...
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Gone
    Tarp
    back
    Insulation
    to
    Suspension
    ground
    Another fan of the "Cloud" (via Mike Clelland) method here. ULA Circuit and Compactor bag, shove the downy goodness in and let it loft around and fill in the bottom of the bag, in goes the clothes (in a stuff sack), hammock (bishop bag), food and stove. Tarp on top for quick deployment. It's easy to shove more in if needed, and the bags aren't compressed into a lump.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast