Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    always changing...
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

So the main benefit of the V is the idea that the hammock suspension can float in the middle of it and a swinging hammock won't disrupt the tarp's ridgeline as much, is that right? Is there any other benefit to the V?

As i said, right now i'm using #1 but my biggest concern is overly stressing the tarp. I have it in snakeskins so it's protected if it should touch the ground during setup. However i'm going to try #2 since i can make my ridgeline cord very tight without stressing the tarp, it seems a bit simpler to recenter the tarp after everything is set, and i can leave the tarp on the ridgeline but in this setup i can just slide it all to one end (still attached to the soft shackle prusiks) and then put it into a hanging stuffsack. I like the idea of having the tarp's ridgeline installed on the trees even if the weather is good "just in case". Using my current #1 setup that's fine, except i have that bulky snakeskin overhead in my view. With #2 it'll just be a cord, with the tarp off to one end (still attached the ridgeline) in a stuff sack. Plus i'll save a little weight overall (different hardware and stuff sack instead of snakeskins). I guess the only concern was any loss benefit of the V.

Because of feedback here i can now see how there could be a blend of the two. I've thought of one, but again, it's only worth it if there's a real benefit to the V. My hammock suspension usually comes through the V close to the narrow "point" of the V (where it attaches to the tarp) so there isn't much room anyhow for the suspension to sway without hitting the V. I'm using an 11' hammock with a slightly shorter than norm ridgeline and an 11' tarp.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I don't quite get why you would be stressing the tarp more with #1 than #2?

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I don't quite get why you would be stressing the tarp more with #1 than #2?
    Not that setup 1 is the most stressful way to hang a tarp, but the reason 1 would be more stress than 2 is because the tarp is part of the structural factor in 1. In setup 2, the line is set and tightened without the need of the tarp, and the tarp is set on two prussic knots, which are stretched apart to the desired tight pitch for the tarp. However, like I said, the line itself is structured completely without the need of the tarp. In one, when tightening the line, the tarp is part of that structural/stress factor. Hope that helps
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    The tension on the tarp is the same using either method.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    In one, when tightening the line, the tarp is part of that structural/stress factor.
    Wouldn't this only be the case when using a noncontinuous ridgeline - i.e. where the two ridgeline anchors (essentially tarp tree straps) are pulling on the tarp which is otherwise suspended with no support over or under it?

Hammock
    HH Exped. Asym Zip
    Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    Wouldn't this only be the case when using a noncontinuous ridgeline - i.e. where the two ridgeline anchors (essentially tarp tree straps) are pulling on the tarp which is otherwise suspended with no support over or under it?
    In #1, if the tarp is ripped apart, the ridgeline on the cord would go slack, since it's anchored to the tarp and not to the cord itself. You're essentially making a loop around the two trees with the tarp as part of that loop. So if you loosen the tension on the tarp, the ridgeline would go slack.

If you add a second length of cord that's a little shorter than the tarp and another prusik loop, you can get a combination of both setups. You can pull the ridgeline tight while leaving the tarp a little more slack.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have a CF tarp and use style #2 with either Dutch Wasps or Tarp Flyz. I personally find the V idea to be gimmicky, but some people say they can hear the tarp ridgeline rubbing on the hammock suspension (not an issue for me). And if they can hear the cords rubbing together, then they definitely wouldn't want a CF tarp anyway since they're purported to be loud in the rain (another issue I don't have).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I basically use the #2 method but with modded Tato Gear tarp connectors in place of the prussics. I replaced the shock cord with lash it continuous loops and the plastic toggles with mini titanium utility biners. I like this method pretty well so far. I was never a huge fan of the "v" method myself. To me it didn't offer any less contact of the tarp ridge line and the hammock suspension because the "v' ultimately terminates at the tarp anyway. In my set ups, the hammock suspension comes up as close to the tarp ends as possible anyway to get the lowest pitch possible so the hammock suspension is gonna hit the tarp ridge line anyway with even the slightest sway of the hammock.

Hammock
    Gone
    Tarp
    back
    Insulation
    to
    Suspension
    ground
    I think the main benefit, for me anyhoo, using the second method, is the ease of setup. Like it's been said above, it's nice having the line there with the option to quickly attach your (skinned) tarp, plus it makes a sweet clothesline. Tension (on the tarp itself) should be the same regardless, as both methods rely on a prusik-type of tightening, as opposed to a truckers hitch style where you're cranking down with a serious mechanical advantage and risk damage to the tie-outs/ridgeline. Your tarp doesn't need to be tight as a drum, just no obvious, floppy slack.

Floppy Slack would be a great band name...

Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    always changing...
    For all the reasons others have said, I think i'm going to switch to setup style #2.

...and for the record, setup #1 can have the same effect as a trucker's hitch with a mechanical advantage in cranking down on the tarp's ridgeline if your setup is slightly different than the drawing i referenced. instead of having the carabiner on the right attached to a prusik just replace the biner/prusik with something like a Dutchware Stingerz (like i was using). i should have made that clear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast