Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post

Regarding the weight of webbing for huggers - Since I've been tinkering with the Whoopie Sling, I've been using 2x 6ft StrapWorks 1" Polyester Seatbelt webbing huggers (4.6oz total). While that's not astonishingly heavy, it's more burdensome than the figures that are quoted above. The difference is mostly due to extra length, though.

More than once I've suspended my hammock from trees where 42" huggers would not be sufficient, and at least one of those times finding an alternate pair of trees would have required moving my intended site more than I would have liked. But, that convenience does come at a bulk/weight penalty. .........
    I've got a pair of Harbor Freight webbing huggers, 70.5" each, 6" loops, 3.20 oz.

Also, a pair at 11' 5" with 6.5" loops, 5.85 oz.

I would rather have black, but for the price and availability, I like them.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    More than once I've suspended my hammock from trees where 42" huggers would not be sufficient, and at least one of those times finding an alternate pair of trees would have required moving my intended site more than I would have liked. But, that convenience does come at a bulk/weight penalty.
    I carry 60" straps and even then, a couple of times this year I've wanted to hang off a tree where that length is insufficient. I also carry at least one, more often times 2 lengths of extra Vectrus, each 6' long. It is easy to extend the length of a tree hugger with a bit of cord

• put a bowline in one end of the rope extender
    • tie the other end to a hugger, using a slippery double sheet bend
    • loop the webbing around the tree and pass the webbing through the bowline
    • tighten up a little and put some trail sticks between the cord and tree, a la turk's suggestion
    • put the marlin spike hitch on the webbing as before

this way I can extend when I need to, but at a lower weight and bulk than the almost-always-too-long straps.

Grizz

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Well, I didn't read all 17 pages of posts, but I spent the afternoon playing with this concept and ended up switching my HH from cinch buckles to the WS. I completely removed the cord from the HH, replacing it with Amsteel blue I had on hand. After looking at it a while I realized I could whip the hammock end after the HH pattern, and then bury the end of the Amsteel. I buried it about 8". Makes for a nice and clean end. Has anyone tried this? Is this a good idea? It seems to be holding up so far...but have only weighted the hammock a short time. My guess it that the same principle that applies to the UCR should apply here as well?
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Well, I didn't read all 17 pages of posts, but I spent the afternoon playing with this concept and ended up switching my HH from cinch buckles to the WS. I completely removed the cord from the HH, replacing it with Amsteel blue I had on hand. After looking at it a while I realized I could whip the hammock end after the HH pattern, and then bury the end of the Amsteel. I buried it about 8". Makes for a nice and clean end. Has anyone tried this? Is this a good idea? It seems to be holding up so far...but have only weighted the hammock a short time. My guess it that the same principle that applies to the UCR should apply here as well?
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you made a Whoopie Sling, only instead of the fixed eye on one end, you used that end for the HH using the same whipping method that Hennessy does.

If that's what you did, then it will work very well. The adjustable loop on the Whoopie Sling works very well and the Hennessy whipping has been proven many times. So both parts should work together very well.

Enjoy.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Sounds like rather than finishing the wrap with a bowline you buried the end. So it is an eye splice whose loop is whipping the hammock end. That's nice but you should also anchor the bury with some thread, or constrict it more with a rope whipping as someone recently suggested.

Grizz

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Thanks Grizz! I think there is some thread around here somewhere!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

I attached the Amsteel with the standard Hennessy method ending in the bowline. Wish I'd thought about using the bury like that. It eliminates the knot, so it should be stronger with the suggested stitching.

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I attached the Amsteel with the standard Hennessy method ending in the bowline. Wish I'd thought about using the bury like that. It eliminates the knot, so it should be stronger with the suggested stitching.

Ken
    Ken, I am about to change out my HH suspension for Whoopie Slings. I plan on using the bowline method to keep the length down. If I do an 8 inch bury (with stitches) at each end of the hammock instead of the bowline, then my hammock effectively becomes 8+8= 16 inches longer. If I add in the whoopie bury of about 10 inches at both end I get 10+10+16 = 36 inches longer.

The extra 16 inches makes a difference as the two test trees in my back yard are exactly 12 ft apart. My HH hammock is 9.5 feet long + 20 inch for Whoop Slings = 11.2 ft. So not a lot of wiggle room. I figure the bowline has been holding me for the last year without a problem so even though the knot weakens the rope, I'm no worse off than before.
    Last edited by SlowBro; 07-26-2009 at 17:34.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    Ken, I am about to change out my HH suspension for Whoopie Slings. I plan on using the bowline method to keep the length down. If I do an 8 inch bury (with stitches) at each end of the hammock instead of the bowline, then my hammock effectively becomes 8+8= 16 inches longer. If I add in the whoopie bury of about 10 inches at both end I get 10+10+16 = 36 inches longer.

The extra 16 inches makes a difference as the two test trees in my back yard are exactly 12 ft apart. My HH hammock is 9.5 feet long + 20 inch for Whoop Slings = 11.2 ft. So not a lot of wiggle room. I figure the bowline has been holding me for the last year without a problem so even though the knot weakens the rope, I'm no worse off than before.

-SlowBro
    Yep, I followed this same philosophy when assembling an UCR, tied the loop off because a bury adds length that increases the minimum hanging distance between trees. That cord tests to over 2000 lbs, so even if the bowline were to weaken it by half I'm still OK and in the same state as I was before tinkering around with this constrictor stuff.

I love the technique of finishing a loose end with a bury, and putting eye-splices in places where the only cost is a little bit more cord, and not changing some fundamental limits can can be avoided or at least mitigated by using a knot.

the knot-headed Grizz

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I love the technique of finishing a loose end with a bury, and putting eye-splices in places where the only cost is a little bit more cord, and not changing some fundamental limits can can be avoided or at least mitigated by using a knot.

the knot-headed Grizz
    Frankly, I really like the esthetic appeal of the splicing, maybe even more than the convenience and functionality.

It's- Way Cool!
    Last edited by SlowBro; 07-26-2009 at 17:34.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 106 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast