Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    For the whoopies... 6" on the fixed eye works well. I use 9" on my adjustable buries, but have gotten away with 7".

On my Structural Ridge Lines using Zing It, the fixed eye bury is 2" with a 2" loop and the adjustable bury is 9". Im sure I can whittle the adjustable bury down, just need to so more testing.

For tarp tie outs, 1/8 is way over kill both in cost and rating. However... a 1.5" to 2" bury is sufficient. Thats on a fixed eye with a 2" loop.(which takes 4" of line.)
    Although it's probably pointless is there any danger in going overkill on the bury, say 18 inches vs the 9 inches you typically do?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Roadtorque, no problems with doing longer bury, it just means you have more distance to start with making you need trees a bit further apart. I do 12" burys normally and have had that hold well over 400 pounds.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Although it's probably pointless is there any danger in going overkill on the bury, say 18 inches vs the 9 inches you typically do?
    Nope, no danger. It just extends the minimum distance you can achieve with the sling.

My current configuration gives a minimum distance of 18 inches. If I add another 9 inches to the bury, that would mean the minimum length would be 27 inches.

I destroyed a whoopie sling during my testing that had a 7" bury. It gave out over 1600 pounds. The same results as a 9" bury.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Hey Roadtorque, no problems with doing longer bury, it just means you have more distance to start with making you need trees a bit further apart. I do 12" burys normally and have had that hold well over 400 pounds.
    Thanks, I just sent an email to your site. I will probably be placing an order for amsteel soon. I just need to figure out if I want the 1/8 or 7/64 diameter. Maybe I will get scared of the DIY and just buy the premade ones.

EDIT: I guess if the jack's standard bridge suspension rated at 700lbs will hold me then the 7/64 amsteel rated at 1400lbs should hold me. Thanks Opie and pgibson. If my diy project fails, and I survive it, I will be placing an order with each of you for some premade stuff. I just figure making a whoopie would be a handy skill to learn so I will give it a shot first.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I made it through 10 of 44 pages...I cant read any more I'm thinking of making a whoopie sling for my suspension/ tarp tie outs. The part I dont fully understand is how one knows the buried length of both the fixed and adjustable ends. I plan on ordering 1/8 amsteel from Arrowhead equipment to make two lengths of 10'ish hammock suspension, one length of 120''ish for a structural ridge line, and ten 6'ish tarp tie outs. Can I use the same bury length for all of these and if so what length to should I use?
    The length of the bury is computed from the rope diameter. Samson Ropes has details on splicing both the fixed eye and the whoopie sling. Both spell out the lengths recommended based on the "fid length" which is based on the rope diameter.

Google "samson rope" and look for their splicing directions.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've read a ton about whoopie slings today. I know I ran across it somewhere but I cant find it now. Can you make whoopie slings out of braided mason line? I think I will use that for my tarp tie-outs. Thanks

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I've read a ton about whoopie slings today. I know I ran across it somewhere but I cant find it now. Can you make whoopie slings out of braided mason line? I think I will use that for my tarp tie-outs. Thanks
    Yes.

You will find, however, that its not all that easy releasing the tension on a whoopie sling when both sides of it are tensioned. There is no play to relieve the adjustable bury. It is possible, but there are other methods better suited for guy lines.

Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    The length of the bury is computed from the rope diameter.
    I can't sleep, so I'll do the math for you...

A Fid is 7*circumference of the cord. Or 7*pi*diameter. pi is just a touch over 3, so many folks just say a Fid is 21 or 22 * dia. I'll use 22*dia in the tables below. The length of the bury also depends on the type of bury. According the Samson documents, a loop bury should be 2 fids and a whoopie bury is 3.5 fids.

1.75mm (0.0689")

• Loop bury: 3.0"
    • Whoopie: 5.3"

2.0mm (0.0787")

• Loop bury: 3.5"
    • Whoopie: 6.1"

2.2mm (0.0866")

• Loop bury: 3.8"
    • Whoopie: 6.7"

7/64" (0.1094")

• Loop bury: 4.8"
    • Whoopie: 8.4"

1/8 (0.125")

• Loop bury: 5.5"
    • Whoopie: 9.6"

Hope that's all right.

I assume some portion of the bury length on a loop bury is the taper. Note that when you when pulling the bury on loop bury you'll need to "enter" a bit further down the cord than the length of the bury, otherwise you'll end up with a portion of the bury exiting the entry point. I'd give yourself another 25% or so.

The length of the loop buries on the small cord seem a bit excessive, I wonder if there is some sort of curve for computing the bury length based on cord diameter and the "2 fids" recommendation is some 90% case?
    Last edited by tlbj6142; 01-23-2010 at 00:14.
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    thanks for the math.

Hammock
    MYOG w/ warbonnet-whipping
    Tarp
    MYOG hex
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Images
    wasn't sure where to post this.... buuuuut last night during the opening ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, there was this kid being suspended by wires and flying over the stadium floor, and I couldn't help but think, "You know, that kid could EASILY be flyin' around by a couple of 7/64 or 1/8 whoopie slings! EASILY!"
    So anyway, couldn't help but laugh at myself for that and thought someone else might get a kick out of it
    "The sea was angry that day, my friends! Like an old man... trying to send back soup at a deli!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 45 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast