Page 55 of 106 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
    Trucker at EZ asked:
    Just curios has anybody whoopie sling with the original cord that comes with the hennessy
    Explorer deluxe
    If the cord that comes with the Explorer Deluxe are anything like the cord that comes with my own HH...Then, I'd guess that no one could have made such an attempt.

Whoopie slings work with single-braid cord that has no core. It's hollow, which is why you can splice the cord through itself and take advantage of the constrictive properties. The cord that came with my Hennessy Expedition, at least, is almost precisely wrong for that sort of thing. I suppose that one could try removing the thick core from the cord but I wouldn't trust the thin braid that remains.

There is an excellent video / thread that shows how whoopie slings function at:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9996

I recently replaced my Hennessy Hammock's stock suspension with whoopie slings from http://whoopieslings.com. They work wonderfully.
    Last edited by jareth.atian; 03-22-2010 at 00:19.

Thank you for your advice and for the links i will have to change my suspension now look out diy

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    So , do I have this right? You could use this Loop Connector in WLMIller54's setup above in place of the descending ring and just figure on replacing it every so often?
    Kind of. I was thinking of alternatives to making a permanant attachment like he did, so in this case....I guess so. If so, I would use 1/8" min and use a diamond knot / lanyard knot. There are good suggestions and testing in the "revisited" loop shackle thread.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9059

In reality, I read a lot of the WS posts, problems, complaints folks had and it was kind of a generic post that they were out there and easily within the capability of those making whoopie slings.
    Last edited by nacra533; 03-24-2010 at 17:26. Reason: revised stopper knot comment/added link

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

Amsteel Comments

I posted this in another thread, but I feel it applies most to those following this WS thread.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post

I know the LI and ZI are Dyneema, but Im not sure if they are the same class of Dyneema as Amsteel or Amsteel Blue. My GUESS would be no, as the 2.2 LI or ZI don't have anywhere near the strength as 7/64 Amsteel blue, even though they aren't that far off from one another in size.
    I think I posted this in the past, but am glad to do it again. Also, take this with a grain of salt, because it is from memory. Amsteel and Amsteel Blue are Samson's version of a dyneema thread. All of these dyneema and trade name "Spectra" are High Modulus Polyethlylene lines (HMPE or UHMPE - ultra high modulus .....) There are several versions of dyneema. SK60, SK 72?, SK 75, SK78.

All are VERY strong for their weight, have reasonable UV resistance in a marine environment, reasonable to good chafe resistance, with some heat resistance, low or no water absorption, and many other desriable properties EXCEPT... CREEP.

Creep is not stretch, it is the elongation over time when under sustained load. Stretch happens immediately upon loading and stops. Creep happens later and over time. One example is loading on the rigging of boat. Imagine you are adjusting the lines that hold the mast on a sailboat (or a cell tower if that makes more sense) upright. It's tight when you leave for the night. It's loose when you return in the morining. That's creep.

SK60 was a miracle fiber except for CREEP.
    SK72, then 75, then 78 all are attempts to reduce creep in the fiber.

"Plain" Amsteel is SK60 and I can't find it easily on the internet anymore. Amsteel Blue is SK75. The original "blue" did two things. First, it differentiated it from Amsteel, which was grey at the time. Also, the "blue" coating was a "Samthane" urethane coating to improve the abrasion resistance (and I think UV resistance) of the line. Amsteel Blue has become Samsons trade name for the SK75 line, regardless of color. See more color comments below.

Dyneema/Spectra was/is competeting with Vectran. Vectran exhibits no creep, has a much higher heat resistance, but is a little more vunerable to UV in a marine environment.

All this to say, I imagine the lash it and zing it are probably SK60 or possibly SK75, and it does not matter which for hammock purposes. Color no longer matters now because Samson has come out with many different Samthane coating colors.

CREEP may be a factor for those running 7/64 amsteel WS or Single Line setups. If you ever wake up with more sag than when you went to bed. You have experienced creep. I have not seen it because I use webbing straps for hanging and a WS ridgeline.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Thanks for the input nacra533. I had not seen your previous post on this, so I really appreciate you posting the info here.
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY sil cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've made 2 sets of DIY whoopie slings now and will be using them in anger for the first time this weekend

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The ring is just right off of the line that hooks to my hammock end ..... the ring sits under the tarp to re-route rain water. I had it come down my line a couple of times and get into my weathershield. Me no like that.
    Shug
    I wouldn't be to crazy about water coming down into my sleeping area either

That being said, I'm in the process of making my whoopie slings out of amsteel blue and putting these on my hammock. I have amsteel blue suspension ropes on my hammock right now. Realy like this rope but I do not like untieing knots in the morning. (even half hitches are hard to get out when the rope is frozen) Hence the switching to the WS!! I use a Clark hammock with the Clark drip rings. This has worked out very well for diverting rain from running to my hammock.

Question: Now that you've mentioned rain and having to add drip rings to your WS.... I'm thinking of putting the Clark drip rings onto the WS. i was hopeing to drop them altogether but I'd rather be dry. Do you think it matters where the drip ring is positioned on the WS?? I have a locked fixed loop on one end of my WS that goes through the channel of my hammock w/the left over end of the rope back fed inside the rope that heads towards the tree. The drip ring would end up near or on top of that back fed rope part. Hopefully I'll get a monster rain storm at my house so I can test this out in the backyard. Thanks for any insights....

TinaLouise

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Hopefully I'll get a monster rain storm at my house so I can test this out in the backyard. Thanks for any insights....
    Instead of waiting for the rain, I tested my setup by running water directly on the straps with the garden hose. Once you pass that test, you can rest assured that you will stay dry.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    I posted this in another thread, but I feel it applies most to those following this WS thread.

I think I posted this in the past, but am glad to do it again. Also, take this with a grain of salt, because it is from memory. Amsteel and Amsteel Blue are Samson's version of a dyneema thread. All of these dyneema and trade name "Spectra" are High Modulus Polyethlylene lines (HMPE or UHMPE - ultra high modulus .....) There are several versions of dyneema. SK60, SK 72?, SK 75, SK78.

All are VERY strong for their weight, have reasonable UV resistance in a marine environment, reasonable to good chafe resistance, with some heat resistance, low or no water absorption, and many other desriable properties EXCEPT... CREEP.

Creep is not stretch, it is the elongation over time when under sustained load. Stretch happens immediately upon loading and stops. Creep happens later and over time. One example is loading on the rigging of boat. Imagine you are adjusting the lines that hold the mast on a sailboat (or a cell tower if that makes more sense) upright. It's tight when you leave for the night. It's loose when you return in the morining. That's creep.

SK60 was a miracle fiber except for CREEP.
    SK72, then 75, then 78 all are attempts to reduce creep in the fiber.

"Plain" Amsteel is SK60 and I can't find it easily on the internet anymore. Amsteel Blue is SK75. The original "blue" did two things. First, it differentiated it from Amsteel, which was grey at the time. Also, the "blue" coating was a "Samthane" urethane coating to improve the abrasion resistance (and I think UV resistance) of the line. Amsteel Blue has become Samsons trade name for the SK75 line, regardless of color. See more color comments below.

Dyneema/Spectra was/is competeting with Vectran. Vectran exhibits no creep, has a much higher heat resistance, but is a little more vunerable to UV in a marine environment.

All this to say, I imagine the lash it and zing it are probably SK60 or possibly SK75, and it does not matter which for hammock purposes. Color no longer matters now because Samson has come out with many different Samthane coating colors.

CREEP may be a factor for those running 7/64 amsteel WS or Single Line setups. If you ever wake up with more sag than when you went to bed. You have experienced creep. I have not seen it because I use webbing straps for hanging and a WS ridgeline.
    Thanks for the info. I read recently that there is now an SK 90. It is the strongest yet, but I have no recollection about it's creep characteristics.

I haven't noticed any appreciable creep in the dyneema I use for my suspension, mainly because I use Samson's 1/8" AS-78 (SK 78) rated at almost 3,000 lbs which is so much overkill that I doubt that creep would even enter into the application.

Vectran - abrasion is a problem with vectran. Depending on the application it can be a serious problem. I know that people strongly discourage it's use in winches because of the abrasion problem, but do recommend dyneema. I used some for my suspension for a while, but noticed it was getting fuzzy along the line and that was after only a little use. That was before Whoopie Slings, so I don't know how Whoopie Slings would or would not abrade Vectran. I noticed the problem where the loop is put over the Marlin Spike in the tree hugger. There is probably some back and forth motion of the line over the webbing overnight that caused the problem I observed. YMMV
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Thanks for the info. I read recently that there is now an SK 90. It is the strongest yet, but I have no recollection about it's creep characteristics.

I haven't noticed any appreciable creep in the dyneema I use for my suspension, mainly because I use Samson's 1/8" AS-78 (SK 78) ...

Vectran - abrasion is a problem with vectran..... I know that people strongly discourage it's use in winches because of the abrasion problem...

so I don't know how Whoopie Slings would or would not abrade Vectran. I noticed the problem where the loop is put over the Marlin Spike in the tree hugger.
    Can't figure out the multi-quote.

SK78 much less creep than the original 60 and it is a function of percent breaking strength and of course length...I would not expect noticable creep in 1/8" in a short line. I would expect you could measure it in 7/64", but might not notice it...AND, unless it changes your sag significantly, it doesn't matter.

If they are coming out with an SK90, wow. I thought they found their niche with SK78. Great properties, less creep than older formuals, low price. There are better and stronger fibers and blends if the price gets too high. PBO, Aramid, Kevlar, Carbon thread and the blends of these maximize about all desirable properties, just the price is VERY high.

Abraision is a problem with vectran, but most of the coatings help significantly. It fuzzes quickly, but from a percent strength loss, it is neglible unless you have some serious strand breakage, and remember were working with 2000# plus break strength. One example of it's strength retention. I've been using a 1/8" vectran in the top part of a 16:1 cascading purchase on my boat for 2 seasons. I have an 8:1 pulling on it and it stays bent around a block under load A LOT. If fuzzes, but is still kicking. An average man can pull 80# and I am a little bigger than avg and pulling with my legs at times, so 800# loading is reasonable.

Neither winch very well, mainly because they are slippery. Also dyneema without a cover will melt under the friction of winching.

There is no good reason to go to Vectran unless you have some on hand or catch it on sale. It is more expensive and has a little less UV resistance.

• + New Posts
  • Page 55 of 106 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast