Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by dimeotane View Post
    Can someone tell me if I did this right? I've attempted to make one this weekend. Any suggestions? Should I do something different, or have any mistakes to fix?

At the longest it's 5.5 ft. At the shortest it's just under 2ft.
    I tried to make each bury 10" but they came out shorter.
    I didn't do a locked brummel, but I did a fixed eye with sewing polyester along the 10" bury to keep it from gradually slipping out. The fixed eye is about 2".
    The tail was made with a bury.
    I measured out 12ft of Amsteel at the start.
    Well they look good to me and they measure about what mine came out to be. The only thing I would suggest on the next one is doing the locked brummel and tapering the ends of the bury. But all in all they look great.
    TheXringHunt

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Can someone tell me if I did this right? I've attempted to make one this weekend. Any suggestions? Should I do something different, or have any mistakes to fix?

I didn't do a locked brummel, but I did a fixed eye with sewing polyester along the 10" bury to keep it from gradually slipping out. The fixed eye is about 2".
    I agree with the above.. Looks good but it's a good idea to taper your buries. The abrupt transition that comes from untapered buries can weaken the rope.

As to the 10" buries coming out short, that's normal. Amsteel (or any braided line) will shorten when it is opened up and another length of line inserted through it. Nothing to worry about. All of the manufacturer recommended measurements compensate for this phenomenon.

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Looks good to me as well.

One thing that I've taken to doing as well is to add a whipping knot to the adjustable part of the sling as depicted in Grizz's videos (aka Professor Hammock on YouTube). It's basically a locked slide that goes on the adjustable section that both prevents you from pulling it through the bury (a big pain) and also allows you to secure the adjustable end while you are determining your final length (keeps it from falling off of the marlin spike hitch).

Weighs almost nothing and a nice addition. I don't have a link to the video handy, but I seem to recall that it is in the video where he shows how to make the bridge hammock. If you can't find it, I'll see if I can look it up.

Gotta' say, nothing like hanging from a pair of whoopies that you made to give you that "man, I hope this works" feeling

Nice job!

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks guys for the feedback, I really wasn't sure if I had it right or not. I guess I'll go ahead and make another one then if it looks ok.

Quote Originally Posted by TheXringHunt View Post
    I would suggest on the next one is doing the locked brummel and tapering the ends of the bury.
    I did the sewed eye splice because I recall reading that the locked brummel weakened the rope strength 60%. From here: post 24 or post 33

Perhaps my buries aren't tapered enough? I did remove two strands of the 8 but perhaps I should do more, or space them out more?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    The taper should have half the strands removed in intervals. I go 2 strands at a time, about a half inch apart. It creates a much gentler transition that way.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Thanks guys for the feedback, I really wasn't sure if I had it right or not. I guess I'll go ahead and make another one then if it looks ok.

I did the sewed eye splice because I recall reading that the locked brummel weakened the rope strength 60%. From here: post 24 or post 33

Perhaps my buries aren't tapered enough? I did remove two strands of the 8 but perhaps I should do more, or space them out more?
    Looks like you're doing a nice job. I will second the taper. Remove half the total number of strands as shumway states. The tutorial uses a 12 strand line so 3 pairs (6) were clipped. For eight strand- clip 2 pairs (4). This makes for a smoother transition and puts less stress on that point. I prefer sewing to the locked brummel myself, but both will work fine. Enjoy!
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies

First Whoopies

Wow! These whoopie slings are great. I have used the spreadsheet found elsewhere in this forum to get the lengths and the yarn needles from wally world for a buck or two and things couldn't be easier. My two boys also made some.

I really like the ease at which these can be adjusted without alot of mechanical junk hooked to the line.

We also got climbing grade tubular webbing and made tree slings and purchased lightweight climbing beeners.

We are going to start teachign this stuff to our Scout Troop and try to introduce hammocking. My son younger son is the Leave No Trace Instructor and is putting in his votes for hammocking using DIY Gear.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...0&d=1299872378
    Last edited by DerNageler; 12-02-2011 at 09:40. Reason: Adding link to spreadsheet

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Black one I made
    Insulation
    Fleece 'n Wool
    Suspension
    Some kinda rope(?)
    I've got my Amsteel ordered. I should get it next week and I'm looking forward to making some whoopie slings with it. This thread was very helpful, and I'll post some pix.
    I don't know what I'm doing.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly camo
    Insulation
    JRB TQ IncubatorUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Just pulled the trigger one this. It's been 2 years of hammocking let's see what this does for me. Just ordered from Opie. Is this the 1st step to nirvana?

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guinesskid View Post
    Just pulled the trigger one this. It's been 2 years of hammocking let's see what this does for me. Just ordered from Opie. Is this the 1st step to nirvana?
    Not sure if it's the first step (that might be sleeping in a hammock )but it most likely is not the last....

Enjoy... I know I did and do when I changed to Who! Opie slings (that is as in Whooo buddy not The Who ...)

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

• + New Posts
  • Page 76 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast