TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TeeDee or I would, but what rope we have is pretty much committed to Bridges and buying enough for 1 or 2 or 3 or ... whoopie sling setups makes the S&H costs on getting it here and then to you as much as the rope almost. Not economic.

Also, as Frawg pointed out, attaching the sling to the hammock is going to be pretty much your task and would be as difficult as making the slings in the first place, i.e., not very difficult at all.

If ZA206 is doing the splicing as a business, then he would be set-up to do it already and Frawg's suggestion is probably the best way to go if you really just want to buy.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    So I have read the whole thread, and I think I have this straight. What you are doing is making a large loop in your rope that can be adjusted in or out, and uses simply the tension from threading one end back through the rope to keep it tight when under a load.

The part that has me confused is that you (Frawg I believe) said that with a 15' section of rope, you can get up to 12' of length. I would think, in my head, that with 15' of rope, less the 1.5 ft for the end and buried part, that would leave you with 13.5' of a rope that is in a loop, giving you 6.75' at the max length, add to that the bury of 1.5, and you would have 8.25' max and 1.5' minimum adjustment. Am I just not seeing this right, or am I correct with my measurements?

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    The part that has me confused is that you (Frawg I believe) said that with a 15' section of rope, you can get up to 12' of length. I would think, in my head, that with 15' of rope, less the 1.5 ft for the end and buried part, that would leave you with 13.5' of a rope that is in a loop, giving you 6.75' at the max length, add to that the bury of 1.5, and you would have 8.25' max and 1.5' minimum adjustment. Am I just not seeing this right, or am I correct with my measurements?
    I guess it's not real obvious, but TeeDee & I have been comparing apples & oranges. What you describe is correct for a whoopie sling. What I described is a UCR, which doesn't loop back on itself like the whoopie sling. It also needs a longer 'bury' in order to hold.

Back in the original UCR thread, I first tried then gave up on the UCR. Next I tried the whoopie sling (with success) at ZA206's suggestion, then finally went back and retried the UCR with success. I finally settled on the UCR, while most seem to have settled on the whoopie sling which, admittedly, sounds more sexy.

Hope that clears up the numbers, anyway.

Note: Just to clarify, this thread is indeed about whoopie slings. My posts about UCRs were direct answers to specific questions from TeeDee. Sorry if that muddied the waters.
    Last edited by Frawg; 07-11-2009 at 20:49. Reason: ZA206 made the whoopie sling suggestion; acercanto illustrated it for me.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    For those who are keeping track, I too, have settled on the UCR. As Fig described, you only get use of about half of the line length with the Whoppie. But either way, I think both of these systems are a great advancement to hammocking.

(disclaimer: I'm yet to do an overnight with the UCR, so the jury is still out)
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    For those who are keeping track, I too, have settled on the UCR. As Fig described, you only get use of about half of the line length with the Whoppie. But either way, I think both of these systems are a great advancement to hammocking.
    Looks like it's you & me, amac!

(disclaimer: I'm yet to do an overnight with the UCR, so the jury is still out)
    It's only one data point, but I did 4 full nights in a row last week, two of them in the rain, with absolutely ZERO slippage.

As a 'heads up', btw, I noticed that the UCRs I'd made with my repurposed AmSteel seemed to hold a little better than the ones I recently made with the new line I just got the other day. I think the fuzz on the used line is the difference, providing a little more friction. Note that AmSteel says a little fuzz is a good thing...
    Last edited by Frawg; 07-09-2009 at 18:27. Reason: added a thought
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Holy cow. Now I have to go back and reread this all again. Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I am still somewhat confused, but will like I said, reread and see if I can make sense of the UCR.

EDIT: I think I might have found my confusion. I was looking at the pictures SlowBro posted and on page 1, and he has what looks like a loop. I think I have it now. A Whoopie sling is one piece of rope with one end buried in the other and a loop. A UCR is two pieces of rope with one being just as long as needed to tie one end off, and bury the other piece of rope in, with the other being whatever length you want to be able to adjust. Did I get that right?
    Last edited by Fig; 07-09-2009 at 19:23. Reason: Unconfusing myself.

Hammock
    HHULB
    Tarp
    Mamba Jamba
    Insulation
    Yeti & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    could someone please post a picture of the whoopie in action? please

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post

Total cut length for a 12' UCR = 28.5" + 151" = 179.5", give or take.

Looks like it takes about 15' of line to make a UCR that can cover up to 12'.
    Okay, that's the number I was looking for in order to get a handle on comparing the raw material requirements of the 2 methods. Thanks.

I worked up the numbers for me to accomplish the same length with a Whoopie Sling: 24.5' using my 1/8" AS-78.

It would be less using the 7/64" amsteel since the buries are reduced by the diameter, but the difference would be on the order of a few inches, so can probably be ignored here.

So the difference in raw material: 9.5'

that works out to be 0.5 oz for your 7/64" Amsteel Blue and 0.75 oz for my 3 mm AS-78.

Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    Nice improvement!

Nicely done! I find that the way I feel varies from day to day so my preferred sag varies a little, correspondingly. What I like is the ability to fine tune settings on the fly. I need to play a bit more with my head/foot tilt scheme, but even just eyeballing things my initial setup is seldom far off so I usually just need to do some minor tweaking.

I've pretty much reached the "good enough" stage on this, I think. Time to start debugging my bug netting setup.
    Yes I have found the modified Whoopie Sling on the suspension triangle to be super useful. It makes everything on the Bridge totally adjustable now. It can be easily and quickly adjustable to suit the time and mood and environment.

Funny. I started with the SLS using the AS-78 and now moved to the MSLS. In moving to the MSLS, I retained the AS-78 ridge line.

Just plain Inertia and not thinking.

Today, I finally realized that the modularity lets me replace the ridge line with something that isn't so much over kill.

Consequently, I replaced the AS-78 ridge line Whoopie Sling with a ridge line Whoopie Sling of 1.75 mm Lash-It!.

That compensates for the extra weight of the rope needed for the Whoopie Slings

That dropped my MSLS weight to 2.60 oz and brings my total suspension system weight to 4.60 oz.

I'm not really a SUL or even a UL adherent, but I do like the nice side benefits.

I made up an SLS replacing the ridge line there with a Lash-It! Whoopie Sling and that dropped the weight to 1.20 oz and the total to 3.2 oz. But then I lose the convenience of the Whoopie Sling adjust-ability. I'll keep the 1.4 oz and the super simplicity of the Whoopie sling.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

whoopie ridgeline

TeeDee--
    seems like you're saying that the ridgeline is now one whoopie sling, so something on the order of 22' of LashIt...If so, it seems to me that you don't need the full dynamic range of adjustable length for a ridgeline. Pick a number, say 8', you won't ever use a ridgeline shorter than that. So you could whoopie it up separately at both ends, giving you maybe 18" of adjustability at each end? I'm going to try that anyway...

Grizz (who, yes, has been whoopie-ing it up, but has yet to hang a hammock with it.)

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    Did I get that right?
    On the button!