Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    good paracord usually has 7-strands.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hi all. I've been quite intrigued by all the recent talk about splicing, in part because I've seen some reference single digit decreases in rope strength. I took a look at Samson Rope's splicing page, specifically the (pdf) instructions for making a whoopie sling using 12-strand AmSteel.

According to Samson, "Whoopie Slings have a break strength of 60% of the published average ROPE break strength". Any idea why there's such a large discrepancy? Where have people come across the aforementioned single digit estimates?

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    From what I've gleaned from this thread, the difference is in whether the splice is a 'locked brummel' as in the pdf you referenced or a burried brummel (maintaining >90% of the rope strength), shown in this paper:

http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files/12S_C1_EyeSpl.pdf

The burried brummel needs to be locked stitched.
    Last edited by Scratch; 07-06-2009 at 06:54. Reason: Add clarification

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Real 550 cord has 7 strands inside the sheath. I've seen "parachute cord" at Walmart and others that has the same kind of sheath but no strands inside...it wasn't a braid or anything, but looked about like a strand of synthetic insulation. It was plenty strong to use as accessory cord but I wouldn't trust it to hold 550 lbs. It did stretch like 550 cord though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post

so the taper is just to get it through the eye of the needle or does it have another purpose?
    I think was answered correctly, but want to reinforce it. The taper in an eye splice is a critical part of the splice. It prevents an abrupt transition. This transition is the weakest part of the splice and this is where eye splices fail. If the taper is not done well, the splice will be weaker.

With the whoopie sling, you can't really avoid the abrupt transition. I think Frawg or Tee Dee has some good pics showing a failure of the whoopie sling from a recent post. I think he determined it was because the stopper knot at the tail end pulled tight before the bury engaged. My suggestion is if you need the comfort of adding a stopper knot, you do it further down the line and not right at where the tail exits. Lastly, make sure you "milk" the buried section to engage the splice before loading it. Low loading conditions cause these splices to not perform correctly.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    I think Frawg or Tee Dee has some good pics showing a failure of the whoopie sling from a recent post.
    This "Toggled Suspension System" post was my reply to nacra533's question, which was prompted by the pics from my first UCR test in in this post. My final conclusion (in this post) was that the hitch in the running end of the constrictor section functions like the lock in the locked brummel under light loading.

The failure was in the UCR, btw; haven't seen this happen with my whoopie slings.

Bear in mind that my thoughts were just speculation from a non-professional. Validation / correction from a pro would be much appreciated.

HTH
    Last edited by Frawg; 07-06-2009 at 10:07. Reason: tightened a few loose ends :LOL:
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I'd like to toss out a 'Thanks' to everyone that had input into this suspension method. I've been following the various threads that lead to this, and have been tinkering with the different methods discussed. Well done!

Because the first post of this particular thread was so detailed, I've gone ahead and made it a sticky for the suspension forum.

*Note - I changed the title, also, because this method isn't Blackbird specific*
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I'd like to toss out a 'Thanks' to everyone that had input into this suspension method. I've been following the various threads that led to this, and have been tinkering with the different methods discussed. Well done!

Because the first post of this particular thread was so detailed, I've gone ahead and made it a sticky for the suspension forum.

*Note - I changed the title, also, because this method isn't Blackbird specific*

I to have been following the whoopie sling / UCR threads with much interest. I made my "splicing needle" today. It was constructed from an 18" zip tie. I cut the locking end of the zip tie and then folded the end over to form a eyelet loop and used super glue secure everything. Tonight I will dig through my gear, find my Amsteel blue, and start making my first set of Whoopie Slings.

Thanks to all who have been experimenting with this method and special thank to SloBro for posting these simple instructions.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Does anyone see a reason aircore plus from BPL won't work. I think it has 8 strands. It is what I have on hand and the Mrs. has me on a tight budget right now.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Does anyone see a reason aircore plus from BPL won't work. I think it has 8 strands. It is what I have on hand and the Mrs. has me on a tight budget right now.
    I haven't seen Aircore firsthand, Dutch, but from the descriptions I've read I'd think it would work. You could always give it a try, and...

Seriously, I'd probably try an eye splice first to see how it holds, and to develop a feel for the procedure.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 106 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast