Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I ordered more Amsteel for Dancer and I to make the final versions of our Whoopie Slings. I got about 15' for each end. Once a loop is tied to attach to the hammock and the bury is done, I hope to have at least 6' of adjustment on each end of ours.

How long are the tree straps y'all are using? I'm going to take the plunge and cut the straps that came with my Blackbird, but not sure how long I want to make them. I thought somewhere between 6-8 feet, but not positive yet. Anyone have any input on this?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    How long are the tree straps y'all are using? I'm going to take the plunge and cut the straps that came with my Blackbird, but not sure how long I want to make them. I thought somewhere between 6-8 feet, but not positive yet. Anyone have any input on this?
    I put a lot of thought into that, too. The weight of long huggers can render the weight savings of switching to Whoopie Slings a zero sum game if you carry ones that are too long. But, if you go too short they become less useful.

As a starting point, I keep sewn loops on both ends of the huggers. That adds versatility in many situations.

I worked with 6 foot huggers for a while, but found them to be longer than needed for many hangs. After much debate, I changed to 4 foot huggers and I've been happy with that so far. 4 feet is adequate for most hangs, and short enough to be lightweight. When I need to 'extend one' beyond 4 feet, I keep a simple piece of 6 foot long Amsteel (with an eye splice in each end) that I attach to the hugger I need to lengthen via a lark's head method with the loops. Then, I just use some twigs between the Amsteel and the tree (ala Rope Tree Huggers method). I tend to let the Amsteel end of the hugger be the end that drapes down to have the marlinspike hitch tied in it.

That might sound clunky, but I'm very happy with it's ease...and even more so with it's weight.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Alrighty, straps cut to 6'. I can always go shorter with them if I need or want to. I figure with about 6' of adjustability on each end of the Whoopie Sling, along with the 6' straps, I should be golden as far as suspension length goes. I still need to take down the stock Amsteel and Tri-Rings that came with the Blackbird, but it appears that will be esily done. I should have my Amsteel in by Tuesday of this week and will play around with it on my next day off. I've got to make Whoopies for both Dancer and I, but they're easily done and a lot of fun too.

Will make Whoopies for food.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I put a lot of thought into that, too. The weight of long huggers can render the weight savings of switching to Whoopie Slings a zero sum game if you carry ones that are too long. But, if you go too short they become less useful.

As a starting point, I keep sewn loops on both ends of the huggers. That adds versatility in many situations.

I worked with 6 foot huggers for a while, but found them to be longer than needed for many hangs. After much debate, I changed to 4 foot huggers and I've been happy with that so far. 4 feet is adequate for most hangs, and short enough to be lightweight. When I need to 'extend one' beyond 4 feet, I keep a simple piece of 6 foot long Amsteel (with an eye splice in each end) that I attach to the hugger I need to lengthen via a lark's head method with the loops. Then, I just use some twigs between the Amsteel and the tree (ala Rope Tree Huggers method). I tend to let the Amsteel end of the hugger be the end that drapes down to have the marlinspike hitch tied in it.

That might sound clunky, but I'm very happy with it's ease...and even more so with it's weight.
    IF its not too much of a bother, how much do your huggers weigh? I bought so me heavy polypro 1 inch from strapworks but i think its super heavy, my WBBB webbing is way thinner, think i may have got too heavy webbing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    IF its not too much of a bother, how much do your huggers weigh? I bought so me heavy polypro 1 inch from strapworks but i think its super heavy, my WBBB webbing is way thinner, think i may have got too heavy webbing.
    Easily calculated. Weigh the strap, then measure the length of your straps and add the length of the loop (should be 14' 6" total). Divide the weight by the length and this will give you the weight per foot. Multiply the the weight per foot by 4 (AS's tree straps are 4') and this will give you the weight of his straps. Now wasn't that easy?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Easily calculated....Now wasn't that easy?
    It would be if we were using the same webbing. Right now my huggers are made from OWFINC camo webbing.

IF its not too much of a bother, how much do your huggers weigh?
    2x 4ft Tree Huggers - 2.1oz
    2x 6ft Amsteel Hugger Extensions - 1.1 oz
    Total - 3.2oz

I bought so me heavy polypro 1 inch from strapworks but i think its super heavy, my WBBB webbing is way thinner, think i may have got too heavy webbing.
    If you buy from SW, the lightest they offer is the seatbelt polyester. It's very nice, but still slightly heavier than either the WB or OWF webbing.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    It would be if we were using the same webbing.
    Oh. Well, nevermind.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I wonder where brandon gets his webbing. =P

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey Brandon, Ikemouser wants to know where you get your webbing.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    It would be if we were using the same webbing. Right now my huggers are made from OWFINC camo webbing.

I looked for OWFINC camo webbing and can't seem to find it. Can you post the link? Thanks. Also, is it polyester or what?
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts
  • Page 35 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast