WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps

Post Opinons on Bear Grylls Native Series Zero-Degree Sleeping Bag

Last year I purchased the Ozark Trail 32-degree sleeping bag largely based on the positive reviews in this forum. Even though it's a nice bag, I still find myself a little chilly on those 40-degree nights. So I'd like to get a 0-degree bag.

I saw the Bear Grylls 0-degree bag (synthetic) on Walmart for $81. I was wondering if anyone on here has one and how they like it. Obviously my main concern is the bag's construction.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bear-Gryll...-Gray/25716604

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I would keep an eye out for a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 0 degree bag. They updated the style last year so the old style (Red and Grey) are usually pretty cheap. I have seen them for as low as $85 on steep and cheap. It is an amazing bag that is just over 3lbs total and compresses down well in a 15L compression sack.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    id stay away from anything BG, 90% of stuff with the name on it seems to get recalled.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiDelt496 View Post
    I would keep an eye out for a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 0 degree bag. They updated the style last year so the old style (Red and Grey) are usually pretty cheap. I have seen them for as low as $85 on steep and cheap. It is an amazing bag that is just over 3lbs total and compresses down well in a 15L compression sack.
    I have this one and can say it's my favorite synthetic bag.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 to Mountain Hardwear. Good gear at a good price. I had a Pinole and liked it. I've since moved on to down, but would recommend the MH bags to others.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Images
    This bag will probably be fine, but there is something wierd about the weight. 1st shipping wt is listed as 3.05 lbs, which would include the box it is shipped in, so less than 3 lbs. That is extremely light for a large, zero rated synthetic bag. I would expect more like 4 or even 5 lbs.

Next, there is a table comparing this bag to several others of the same brand, 30* and zero degrees and synthetic and 650 FP down. One of the 30 and zero bags are both 3 lbs, 2 other 30F bags are 3 lbs 12 oz and the zero down bag is 4 lbs. That does not seem right!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    This bag uses ThermoLite synthetic insulation: Here's a quick review from a random website at http://www.bigskyfishing.com/camping...insulation.php

"Thermolite is a great insulation for jackets as it isn't "puffy" like goose down or quallofil is. Unfortunately, it makes for a poor choice of insulation for a sleeping bag. In a sleeping bag, for outdoor use, you want the insulation to be "puffy" as the air pockets retain the heat. By and large, the only place you'll find thermolite insulation used in sleeping bags is in bags that cost $50 or less. These bags are best used for slumber parties, backyard camping, whatever. Don't even think of taking them to Montana to camp outside with - you'll freeze even during the summer."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    ThermoLite was invented by DuPont, but they rolled the rights into a subsidiary first called Dupont Textiles and Interiors. The company name was changed to Invista and sold to the Koch brothers, Charles and David, and their company, Koch Industries. There seem to be several varieties of ThermoLite and it appears this bag has the cheapest, most basic, first generation ThermoLite. If Bear Grylls could advertise that he was using ThermoLite Extreme or Micro, he certainly would.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2...nthetic-guide/

THERMOLITE®
    Thermolite insulation provides an excellent warmth-to-weight ratio, even when wet. It’s also machine washable and dryable.
    Thermolite Extreme is a high-tech insulation engineered to provide the most warmth per weight and durability of any Thermolite® performance fill.
    Thermolite Extra most closely resembles the warmth, softness and fullness of down. It provides a high loft that retains its fullness and remains resilient through many uses.
    Thermolite Micro is less bulky than other Thermolite® products, but provides excellent softness and warmth. It’s also the most compactible.
    Thermolite Plus is designed for use in extreme conditions and is the most water resistant of any Thermolite® product. It also holds up exceptionally well after multiple washings.
    Thermolite Active is light, breathable and ideal for high-energy activities.

This website says there are only five types of ThermoLite but I tend to think there are six.

http://www.alpineextreme.co/thermolite/
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    all insulated things use trapped air to retain heat, how would that change between a jacket and sleeping bag? i don't see how one would freeze even in the summer.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ CUSTOM HANGER
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    DUTCH CB/CUSTOM
    One word should about take care of any thought of buying that. Walmart

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast