Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies

Treating Net and not the Hammock?

So I just got through treating my gear with permethrin today but couldn't bring myself to spray down my hammock.
    (Plus I ran out before I could)
    Ive tried to stay away from bug juice as much as possible but the ticks are just epic for the past few years now.
    Did my bugnet , pack, whoopies , boots , gaiters, shirt and pants.
    I'm probably going to just go get some more anyway but....
    I have a Nano Buginator and was thinking that since it encloses the hammock I might not need to treat the hammock itself.
    Plus the thought of spending 8 hours with my face and skin pressed against insecticide just doesn't sit well.
    But contracting lymes doesn't sit well either so...
    I hang indoors in this hammock on and off as well and my son and cats get around/in it so i'm kinda weary.

Anyone have any insight as to whether I could get away with it or should I just bite the bullet?
    Last edited by ADKrella; 05-20-2014 at 20:54.

Images
    That should be fine, as it surrounds the entire hammock, unless you have it pulled snug against the hammock. But you could also spray the outer layer of your hammock, the side that your body does not contact. Especially if you have a double layer hammock. But if your entire hammock is inside a treated net, you should be fine.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've been using the Buginator and NanoBuginator for a couple of years and I never sprayed my hammock with permethrin, just the bugnet. I don't have any particular problems with spraying the hammock; I just haven't found it necessary.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Also, you could make a hammock for inside use only. That way, you don't have to worry about any bug spray coming into contact with the hammock, then your kids and cats.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    You'll know pretty quick, if you're still getting bit. Hammocks and Nets should probably be soaked IMO.

Permethrin bonds to material, at the molecular level. Once dry, nothing much to rub off. The same product is the most effective treatment for bed bugs, used on mattress and bedding material. It's at the very least.....safer than sleeping with the bed bugs
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I just treat the bug net. Not because of concerns about the permethrin on the hammock. Just don't feel it's necessary.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    I also had reservations about using permethrin, especially after reading the warnings on the bottle. But after watching the video on sawyer.com, I use it all the time on my clothing and gear. I have no desire to get west nile virus, triple E, lyme disease, etc.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I wouldn't DIP my hammock but I certainly SPRAY the outside of my hammock. I use a Fronkey style net.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    I spray the outer of hammock only cause I don't really want to lay pressed up to insecticide either but it does say perfectly safe to humans when dry.......

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That should be fine, as it surrounds the entire hammock, unless you have it pulled snug against the hammock. But you could also spray the outer layer of your hammock, the side that your body does not contact. Especially if you have a double layer hammock. But if your entire hammock is inside a treated net, you should be fine.
    Theoretically right..... that's what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've been using the Buginator and NanoBuginator for a couple of years and I never sprayed my hammock with permethrin, just the bugnet. I don't have any particular problems with spraying the hammock; I just haven't found it necessary.
    good to know man thanks. I do recall reading about your zipper concerns.....

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Also, you could make a hammock for inside use only. That way, you don't have to worry about any bug spray coming into contact with the hammock, then your kids and cats.
    I'm definitely getting another one for inside at some point....probably another one for outside as well ( really want a thunderbird)....

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    You'll know pretty quick, if you're still getting bit. Hammocks and Nets should probably be soaked IMO.

Permethrin bonds to material, at the molecular level. Once dry, nothing much to rub off. The same product is the most effective treatment for bed bugs, used on mattress and bedding material. It's at the very least.....safer than sleeping with the bed bugs
    That's what I'm afraid off..... knowing quick that I screwed up.
    I did read that about the bonding but still a little skeptical.
    I didn't know it was the same stuff for bedbugs....interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    I just treat the bug net. Not because of concerns about the permethrin on the hammock. Just don't feel it's necessary.
    Cool.....glad to know not alone in my thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by DC125 View Post
    I also had reservations about using permethrin, especially after reading the warnings on the bottle. But after watching the video on sawyer.com, I use it all the time on my clothing and gear. I have no desire to get west nile virus, triple E, lyme disease, etc.
    yeah...the warnings are pretty scary but as you say the consequences of going without might be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I wouldn't DIP my hammock but I certainly SPRAY the outside of my hammock. I use a Fronkey style net.
    I probably will spray it as well. Why not dip? I'm new to permethrin so I'm curious if there's a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by gnar View Post
    I spray the outer of hammock only cause I don't really want to lay pressed up to insecticide either but it does say perfectly safe to humans when dry.......
    yup....It does say its safe...and I would like to trust that it is.......but now-a-days pizza is considered a vegetable so....yeah.

I think I'm just gonna spray it on the outside and start looking for another indoor hammock soon.
    Probably diy one because why not.

thx guys.
    Last edited by ADKrella; 05-22-2014 at 16:38.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast