WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I assume that the fabric for the XLC is the same used with the BB, which I own in both versions. However, while the 1.7 fabric hasn't changed over the years, the 1.1 fabric has. I had a 1.1 Traveler hammock which was super silky. I loved that fabric. I also had a black 1.1 Blackbird, wheren the fabric was not as soft. The brown 1.1 Blackbird (ordered last summer) I own now is a lot less soft. It hasn't been much of an issue in the daily use, though.

If it wasn't for the extra weight, I would prefer the lay of the 1.7 fabric. It is more coarse, but it provides more support (and I'm only ~135lbs). I found that I prefer the firmer lay that the heavier nylons provide - not just with WB. So if you already have tried hammocks with different fabrics, it should give you an indication as to which option would suit you better. For hiking, I take the lighter hammock anytime. The difference in comfort is very small - but I definitely prefer to haul less weight

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I realize I'll need to be careful with either weight, but would I need to take any extra precautions with the 1.1 to ensure long-term durability? I'm careful with my gear but I don't want to have to baby it (or worry about it coming back in one piece if I let a friend borrow it).

I'm leaning towards the 1.1 because I plan on hiking with it, but don't want to make a mistake if durability is an issue.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    how many ounces total are we really talking her for 1 hammock, imo this is a no brainer, go with the 1.7 and it will most likely hold up better and longer, yet again, this is just my opinion but you seem to allredy have concerns about the 1.1 , are you ever gonna have complete piece of mind with it or are you gonna allways have it in the back of your mind 'did i choose right'?? 1.7 and you know its solid !

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    how many ounces total are we really talking her for 1 hammock
    7 ounce difference between the two, I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    you seem to allredy have concerns about the 1.1 , are you ever gonna have complete piece of mind with it or are you gonna allways have it in the back of your mind 'did i choose right'??
    Well, I'd like to believe that once I got it and had a chance to test it, my concerns would go away. I usually find that they were never really warranted, but sadly, analysis paralysis continues to plague me in most of my important life decisions. You should have seen how long it took me to buy a new refrigerator. I guess what I'm hoping for is someone to tell me that 1.1 is pretty durable stuff for the weight and that it will hold up just fine as long as I don't drag it along behind me on the trail (and I start laying off the cheeseburgers).

And we won't bring up the fact that my OCD tendancies are struggling with the fact that the 1.1 hammock and Superfly tarp come in matching olive brown fabric while the 1.7 hammock comes in olive green with NO color-coordinated tarp. There, it's all out on the table now.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    did you look around to see if any other venders make a tarp in olive green that would match??

wilderness logics offers almost all of thier tarps in 3 different colors, including green!
    Last edited by Zilla; 05-23-2014 at 13:15.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I was kidding about the colors (sort of). While I did notice the colors won't match, they are close enough where that isn't really the sticking point. It's really down to wanting to save weight without sacrificing durability. Time to flip a coin, I think, as I'm sure I'll be happy with either one.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    Well, I'd like to believe that once I got it and had a chance to test it, my concerns would go away. I usually find that they were never really warranted, but sadly, analysis paralysis continues to plague me in most of my important life decisions. You should have seen how long it took me to buy a new refrigerator. I guess what I'm hoping for is someone to tell me that 1.1 is pretty durable stuff for the weight and that it will hold up just fine as long as I don't drag it along behind me on the trail (and I start laying off the cheeseburgers).
    Don't worry so much. Have you seen the Dream Hammock fabric rating? Randy says that a 1.1oz single layer hammock will work fine up to 200lbs. And the hammock won't rip if you are over the 200lbs - it will simply stretch more. As long as you don't pierce the fabric, you will be fine. A 1.1oz double layer hammock is good up to 275lbs, so with your 190lbs you have a big safety margin. If you want to hike light, go with a 1.1oz DL and keep sharp and pointy things away from the hammock (which you should do no matter which fabric weight). You won't regret it.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    I weigh about like you and have the 1.1 oz double layer BB. The 1.1 fabric is quite smooth and breathes well. I've used the hammock in some very wet and humid weather and never noticed stickiness to the fabric. I've also never had a mosquito bite thru the fabric, and I've hung in some really buggy areas. It stretches acceptably when you get in, but there are absolutely no stretch marks or any sort of damage. As for durability, I've had the hammock for 2 years, and maybe have 50-60 nights and afternoon hangs in it. It's in fantastic shape and I've been happy with it. Since I do some hiking, backpacking, and kayak camping with it, I like that it packs smaller and lighter than the 1.7 oz double.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruxxx View Post
    I weigh about like you and have the 1.1 oz double layer BB. The 1.1 fabric is quite smooth and breathes well. I've used the hammock in some very wet and humid weather and never noticed stickiness to the fabric. I've also never had a mosquito bite thru the fabric, and I've hung in some really buggy areas. It stretches acceptably when you get in, but there are absolutely no stretch marks or any sort of damage. As for durability, I've had the hammock for 2 years, and maybe have 50-60 nights and afternoon hangs in it. It's in fantastic shape and I've been happy with it. Since I do some hiking, backpacking, and kayak camping with it, I like that it packs smaller and lighter than the 1.7 oz double.
    Thanks, Gruxxx. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Based on all the feedback (thanks everybody), I've decided to go with the double layer 1.1.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Good choice IMO. At 6-2, 275ish (down to 260 and continuing) I've had a BB 1.7 dbl and a 1.1 dbl. Very much preferred the feel of the 1.1 dbl (both texture and firmness) and traded both up to the XLC 1.1 dbl for more wiggle room too. Never had a moments worry about the durability of the 1.1 dbl even though I have been at or above the weight limit at times.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast