Hammock
    DIYGS 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Blue HarborFreight
    Insulation
    sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCRs

Question Differences in Dynaglide colors/production runs?

I bought a bunch of orange a while ago and recently purchased some green. The green seems much stiffer than the orange, and I tried making some UCRs using different colors for each piece but the outer had trouble grabbing the inner for one of the combinations (can't remember which color was which--but it seemed to have trouble at both the constricting section and the tensioning prusik). I've now tried splicing the two together into a whoopie and will see if the problem was just the prusik or if the constrictor actually has a real problem, as well.

So, does anyone know if the different colors actually have a different makeup, or if there has been a change in the production over the last year or so?

Images
    Nope, all the same as far as I know, but it is slick stuff. Prusiks require more wraps to grab, and on my ucr, I give it about a 12" finished constrictor.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Each and every "batch" will be slighly unique when it comes to Dynaglide. The green tends to have a slightly heavier coating on it....Both are coated with a Polyurathane that makes up the friction reducing coating as well as the color that is applied to the fibers. Some batches the Orange is gummier some times the green is....the green is more often it seams. I have handeled tens of thousands of feet of Dyna and I can't tell you why one batch varies to the next. Keep in mind though for the use that Dyna is made for the heavier coating is prefered...dose not help us out any but that's what they are shooting for is an extremly low friction rope.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIYGS 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Blue HarborFreight
    Insulation
    sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Nope, all the same as far as I know, but it is slick stuff. Prusiks require more wraps to grab, and on my ucr, I give it about a 12" finished constrictor.
    Wow, I have some single-color UCRs that have a finished bury of a little under 7" that work for me (although barely, they slip if I don't milk sufficiently, or eat a big dinner ).
    The multi-color UCRs were buried 9" (just over 8" finished. The combination that didn't work was green on top of orange, but orange on green was okay at 9".

Hammock
    DIYGS 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Blue HarborFreight
    Insulation
    sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Each and every "batch" will be slighly unique when it comes to Dynaglide. The green tends to have a slightly heavier coating on it....Both are coated with a Polyurathane that makes up the friction reducing coating as well as the color that is applied to the fibers. Some batches the Orange is gummier some times the green is....the green is more often it seams. I have handeled tens of thousands of feet of Dyna and I can't tell you why one batch varies to the next. Keep in mind though for the use that Dyna is made for the heavier coating is prefered...dose not help us out any but that's what they are shooting for is an extremly low friction rope.
    Ah, got it. I know the coating seemed to come off of my orange more easily. Maybe I can find a way to remove it from the green more rapidly.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamicsnail View Post
    Ah, got it. I know the coating seemed to come off of my orange more easily. Maybe I can find a way to remove it from the green more rapidly.
    Just use it and the PU will break down. If I get a spot that is overly gunked up then just rolling it up and straiting it out a few times will usually break up any excessive spots....it's not bad just think of it like a candel used to be made....dipped in to build up layers, really goopy Dyna is kind of like that. Give it some good use and it will loosen up.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Just use it and the PU will break down. If I get a spot that is overly gunked up then just rolling it up and straiting it out a few times will usually break up any excessive spots....it's not bad just think of it like a candel used to be made....dipped in to build up layers, really goopy Dyna is kind of like that. Give it some good use and it will loosen up.
    I'd listen to a guy like Paul who handles the stuff all the time, but that's just me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIYGS 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Blue HarborFreight
    Insulation
    sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'd listen to a guy like Paul who handles the stuff all the time, but that's just me.
    Trust me, I'm listening to everyone right now
    I think I have about 2400' of this stuff, so I'll also learn a lot through experimentation over the next few years.

Anyone know if there are any manufacturers incorporating dyneema or spectra into webbing? Having some strong and more lightweight webbing would be great.

• + New Posts