Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images

MN > SHT > Out & Back, Finland Rec to Horseshoe Ridge THIS weekend

Finally posting some plans after mentioning a few weeks ago I was heading to MN, trip was off for awhile but I found out late last week I'm going after all, so better late than never.

Arriving in Duluth Fri, should be clear of the airport by 1:30, need to pick up Heet & trail snacks and then I'm off. Been working on some plans and itineraries and think I've got it figured it out:

• Fri ~ 3:30pm arrive at Finland Recreation Center. They have overnight parking and don't require park sticker (like George Crosby lot does). Hike to Egge Lake or Sonju Lake, time permitting
    • Sat Hike to Horseshoe Ridge & camp overnight on top of the valley
    • Sun Hike back into George Crosby Park, early day due to rain forecast and also need to get a FCFS site along the Manitou (reservables all taken).
    • Mon hike back to Egge Lake, taking random trails in George Crosby weather permitting.
    • Tues Hike back to car early, head back to Duluth

The forecast has improved considerably in the past 24 hours (it had been calling for rain all day Sunday and thunderstorms on Monday), so now I feel a little more comfortable with not have a bail out motel nearby. Low 70's to mid 40's is perfect hiking weather in my book.

My intent is to keep a moderate pace, to stop and take pictures and de-stress, so all of the mileage is very doable (Sat is longest stretch at 10 or 13 miles depending on where I make camp on Fri).

Anyone have an inkling as to how cutthroat the competition for a FCFS site in GC will be? Website says from 4pm on they're fair game, and there are 3 along the river (#6, 11, 14) so hoping that if I'm in the area by 3pm I'll get one. That seem reasonable or delusional? If I miss them all, I suppose I'd just find a suitable spot and make camp elsewhere but not sure how frowned upon it would be (psuedo stealth I suppose, but it is holiday weekend and not sure what other option I'd have). Also, reserved sites are pay sites, can't find any info that suggests they're not free (and if pay, where?)

Recognizing it's late notice, if anyone feels like a night in the woods (or more) and wants to join let me know. Or more likely, if you've already got plans to be in that neck of the woods (heh) and perhaps our paths will cross...

Lastly feel free to chime in if I'm making any obvious you're-not-from-around-here assumptions. Thanks,

-Jeremy
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    Finally posting some plans after mentioning a few weeks ago I was heading to MN, trip was off for awhile but I found out late last week I'm going after all, so better late than never.

Arriving in Duluth Fri, should be clear of the airport by 1:30, need to pick up Heet & trail snacks and then I'm off. Been working on some plans and itineraries and think I've got it figured it out:

• Fri ~ 3:30pm arrive at Finland Recreation Center. They have overnight parking and don't require park sticker (like George Crosby lot does). Hike to Egge Lake or Sonju Lake, time permitting
    • Sat Hike to Horseshoe Ridge & camp overnight on top of the valley
    • Sun Hike back into George Crosby Park, early day due to rain forecast and also need to get a FCFS site along the Manitou (reservables all taken).
    • Mon hike back to Egge Lake, taking random trails in George Crosby weather permitting.
    • Tues Hike back to car early, head back to Duluth

The forecast has improved considerably in the past 24 hours (it had been calling for rain all day Sunday and thunderstorms on Monday), so now I feel a little more comfortable with not have a bail out motel nearby. Low 70's to mid 40's is perfect hiking weather in my book.

My intent is to keep a moderate pace, to stop and take pictures and de-stress, so all of the mileage is very doable (Sat is longest stretch at 10 or 13 miles depending on where I make camp on Fri).

Anyone have an inkling as to how cutthroat the competition for a FCFS site in GC will be? Website says from 4pm on they're fair game, and there are 3 along the river (#6, 11, 14) so hoping that if I'm in the area by 3pm I'll get one. That seem reasonable or delusional? If I miss them all, I suppose I'd just find a suitable spot and make camp elsewhere but not sure how frowned upon it would be (psuedo stealth I suppose, but it is holiday weekend and not sure what other option I'd have). Also, reserved sites are pay sites, can't find any info that suggests they're not free (and if pay, where?)

Recognizing it's late notice, if anyone feels like a night in the woods (or more) and wants to join let me know. Or more likely, if you've already got plans to be in that neck of the woods (heh) and perhaps our paths will cross...

Lastly feel free to chime in if I'm making any obvious you're-not-from-around-here assumptions. Thanks,

-Jeremy
    You should make it to Egge or Sonju with no problem on Friday. Not a hard hike for that area.
    Maybe stop by and pay for your site at Crosby on your way to Horseshoe as you will have to pass the Registration Box on the way. Think it is $12 a night. You should have no problem getting a site there. It is a backpackers only site and not over-used.
    The walk from Crosby to Horeshoe is one of my favorite walks. Very diverse.
    There is a site called Aspen Knob you could get to if you don't want to camp at Crosby. It will be just south of the road crossing a Hwy 7 after you exit Crosby and hit the SHT.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Thanks Shug, must admit your unwavering thumbs up of that area had a part in my decision making process. So, if I understand you you're suggesting I pay for one of the un-reserveable sites on Sat am en route to Horseshoe, for sleeping at on Sun pm? Is there some sort of signup sheet that let's you know what's already been selected and paid for?

I see Aspen Knob on the maps, good tip.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Have fun! I'm doing the same section later on next week.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Nice one, I'm looking forward to settling into the area for a few nights and will try to post a quick trip report on Tues. If you have specific advanced scouting questions though PM me directly.

Just spoke to a very friendly woman at the park, she recommended that as I pass the kiosk on Saturday to fill out the signup sheet w/ Sunday's date and drop in my payment. First come first serve a bit fuzzy, but since I'll still be in the park it was a better alternative than making me backtrack.

Flickr
    YouTube

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Had a great trip, will post a full report soon but man what beautiful country this is.

Fri George Crosby to Horseshoe Ridge (4.5)
    Sat Horseshoe Ridge to Fredenburg Creek (13.4)
    Sun Frendenberg Creek to Carlton Peak to Temperance River Park (12.6)
    Mon Temperance River to George Crosby (via Shuttle), then site GCM #6 (1.2)
    Tues Site 6 back to GCM parking lot (1.2)

Ended up doing more miles on Sat & Sun than planned, by then my hiking itch had been satiated and the beaming sunshine for 2 days on the trail had taken its toll, so I took it easy yesterday and got some book reading & nap time in.

Horseshoe Ridge site was okay (Caribou West looked nice), Fredenberg Creek was great with a pair of trees next to the creek, warm shower at Temperance River Park was sublime and GCM #6 was great - there's a little copse of pine trees right next to the overlook that was made for a hammock, made for a super cozy arrangement with a great view of the Manitou River Valley.

Thanks for the pre-trip tips, I've got some good pics to post but unfrotunately not one of the moose running straight at me on the trail!

-MrC / jeremyr

Flickr
    YouTube

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Being that you plan to camp at Crosby Manitou on a Sunday you shouldn't have any problems finding an open campsite. If it were a Saturday I'd probably opt to do an online reservation to be safe but Sunday shouldn't be a problem. Great area to hike. Horseshoe Ridge is a nice site. It's a pretty nice climb up the ridge from the Manitou River.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Posted a trip report here, thanks for all of your tips & advice!

Flickr
    YouTube

• + New Posts