Thread: Pad in Hammock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    BIAS Camper DL
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Pad in Hammock

I understand that a lot of you guys use CCF pads in your hammock. When I see references to using an inflatable pad I always assume its referring to a self inflatable. Do any of you use the blow up kind such as an Exped? I have an REI Flash pad that I have loaned to someone. Its been great on the ground, but I'm wanting to hang pretty much full time. What are your thoughts on using this type of pad in a double layer? Would it be possible/comfortable? I don't have the budget to buy a UQ unless I sell some stuff.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    I use a blow up pad in my Blackbird hammock. Self inflating is nice but this works for me because I do not fill with max air. If you try it not fully filled, the air can move around a little in the chambers and sort of hugs you in the hammock. In winter, I actually like it better this way. I have not tried in the summer yet.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Asym Fly from HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tree Frog View Post
    Self inflating is nice but this works for me because I do not fill with max air. If you try it not fully filled, the air can move around a little in the chambers and sort of hugs you in the hammock. In winter, I actually like it better this way.
    Tried this method recently and loved it. I have a self inflating one but it only fills semi and i have to blow the rest. (Really old one) This thing not only stayed in place as opposed to a fully inflated one but much better about the natural curve of a hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler,yukon & home brew
    Tarp
    Tadpole & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge and woob
    Suspension
    straps / whoopies
    Got an 1/4" thick, wide width pad from Gossamer Gera, 39" wide, http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/thi...tion-pads.html
    Works fantastic between the layers of my WBBB, after one time using it, I'll say for my tastes ( a larger hanger ) I give it a big thumbs up.
    I have a couple 3/4 length UQ's but I like the shoulder coverage of this particular pad very much. No "fiddle factor" involved.
    Won't scrunch up as small as my UQ of course but it's comfy. Thought it was a bit pricey for what it is but in the end, couldn't have been more pleased.
    Last edited by kc0qnx; 05-25-2014 at 20:08. Reason: I said 1/8 & it is 1/4"

Hammock
    BIAS Camper DL
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks guys. If my REI Flash blow up doesn't work out for me I'll keep it for tent usage. The Gossamer Gear pad actually sounds like a great idea. How much does it help with warmth? I suppose it would have to be strapped to the side of your pack for hiking purposes.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler,yukon & home brew
    Tarp
    Tadpole & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge and woob
    Suspension
    straps / whoopies
    It'll push heat back at you. I have never really used a pad in low temps but I've read on here of folks taking a 1/4" pad a lot lower than I would has thought. For my purposes it should work for a 3 season option for me easily. I have a couple Jarbridges that I really like but I have to put extra insulation on the sides for my shoulders. They fit my kids like a full length so they're certainly a keeper. For the majority, I'd say get a quilt because they pack down nice but if you have a double layer hammock these stay in place nicely & are an inexpensive alternative. I liked that this holds the BB open a little so getting positioned was a breeze ( I don't maneuver well in the dark )

Anyone tried the Harbinger brand exercise mat by the name of 'Durafoam': http://harbingerfitness.com/product/340100/

340100-3-8-durafoam-mat.jpg

I have one for exercise. I found it is cosy...
    As an experiment I used it overnight to sleep on - I put it under the bottom sheet. This was actually at my workplace when I made up my bed at work (we sleep overnight whilst on 24hr roster at half pay rate just in case).
    I am a side sleeper and I found out this mat creates warm spots under you similar in temperature to a electric blanket!

Its soft and squishy foam. Its 72in long and 23in wide. 3/8thick. It says non-slip but I have had no opportunity to try out whether it slips on the hammock surface. I weighed it, and its 777grams. Um, 27.5 oz I think

Anyone tried it in a Hammock?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Windowlicker View Post
    Anyone tried the Harbinger brand exercise mat by the name of 'Durafoam': http://harbingerfitness.com/product/340100/

340100-3-8-durafoam-mat.jpg

I have one for exercise. I found it is cosy...
    As an experiment I used it overnight to sleep on - I put it under the bottom sheet. This was actually at my workplace when I made up my bed at work (we sleep overnight whilst on 24hr roster at half pay rate just in case).
    I am a side sleeper and I found out this mat creates warm spots under you similar in temperature to a electric blanket!

Its soft and squishy foam. Its 72in long and 23in wide. 3/8thick. It says non-slip but I have had no opportunity to try out whether it slips on the hammock surface. I weighed it, and its 777grams. Um, 27.5 oz I think

Anyone tried it in a Hammock?
    Have not tried them but have seen similar pads. They should work but are heavy for back packing. Typical closed cell camping pad is not very squishy but is light and a good insulator. Typical Yoga or Exercise mat is squishier and heavier. Not sure if they really are CCF or are high density open cell foam. Either way they will work aside from the weight issue.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Inflatable pads work OK

Quote Originally Posted by Robb871 View Post
    I have an REI Flash pad
    This pad should work reasonably well just don't completely fill it. Specs say it's R value is 3.2, not bad. I have a Klymit which is worse than that but packs very small and all the holes reduce condensation in cold or humid weather. You could take a mylar space blanket just in case you need radiant heat, but it is better if this is built into the pad. The self inflating pads and CCF offer more insulation typically (higher R value) and still have some padding if you must "go to ground".
    UQ has less problems with condensation, stays in place better, typically packs down smaller, but is not very effective if you must "go to ground." If some of my jargon make no sense then use your favorite Internet search engine (google) and enter the keyword or phase after:
    site:hammockforums.net

My goal is to travel lite and keep it simple but i am old and all my storage spaces are stuffed with camping and recreational gear. Don't do that! Think carefully before you buy stuff.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    HG incubator o*
    Suspension
    webbing and buckle
    You need to sell those things and get a UQ. I have never found a pad that works for me. I move a lot when I'm sleeping and a pad is a big headache for me. And I've just about tried every good pad on the market.
    The path you choose in life. Should lead straight to a Hammock!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast