XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Have had the pleasure of checking the quarters on few tall ships, I get the sailors hammock.
    Lots of good reasons to have used them.

I like canvas stuff for sure, it has it's place and a bivy is plenty useful when hanging options are non existent.

After sleeping on the ground for 40 years, I'm good with going with the comfort option. Want to tough it and rough it out in the wilderness, go to it, been there, done that, loved it. I want to be prepared for the unexpected but these days i also like to plan more thoroughly than the days of my youth.

Was checking out a bivy used by a peak bagger a couple months ago, told him he needed to mod it just a little to have the hammock setup as an option. Just can't see a downside to that arrangement. Isn't that what the Alpine hammock was before Clark sued them?

Want to be all bushcrafty and work the canvas option? Rock on and enjoy.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    I wonder what does it really mean when they say it is waterproof? I thought canvas will let water through if it is not taunt as in for example properly tightened tent wall.

Does anyone know can canvas really be waterproof? (Even with the weight I'm somewhat interested about this "thing")
    ¿ depends on HOW you measure WATERPROOF ?

canvas buckets HOLD water

oiled canvas tents SHED water

tepees made of un-treated canvas shed water

most of these conditions only work out if the canvas is not touched, when wet...

cowboys used waxed or oiled canvas, for dusters & some bedrolls

waxed canvas dusters REPELL water

FILSON & BARBOUR make foul weather clothing, which is darn close to waterproof

ORVIS makes gear that is, similarly, darn close

have a look at some of those manufacturer's products, to see how they did it

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Thumbs up I'm so easy!

Ok, I understand your answers so that it is not waterproof. All those things listed as foul weather gear almost vanished after "rubber" materials came. Nobody sees fisher man with canvas gear anymore, they wear truly waterproof gear.

Anyhow I was intrigued enough to make the order. At least it can be used winter time when temperatures are low enough. Maybe I will sleep on ground again over the soft snow with my suitable heavy Wiggys Ground Pad. Pad and the bedroll will weight over 4,8 kg! How is that for a single man shelter? And after those add a sleeping bag about 2,5 kg... not an UL set I must say!

There was also a very nice tarp over there, it weights only 6 kg.

http://www.wynnchester.co.uk/tarps/
    Last edited by voivalin; 05-28-2014 at 16:48.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    3.8 kilo's is ''not that heavy''?

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Quick and dirty DIY

Perhaps I'm overly simplifying it but if a person went to their local Army Navy store purchased a standard MSS attached it to a 1000 denier canvas sheet the same size, attached wooden dowels at both ends and suspended it to trees with rope, they would have basically the same thing. A very heavy, tippy, jungle hammock/bivy sack.
    BTW You can buy that canvas with a polyurethane coating from several vendors on the Internet. Also add bugnet or some modern version of Gore-Tex for the top side.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Ok, I understand your answers so that it is not waterproof. All those things listed as foul weather gear almost vanished after "rubber" materials came. Nobody sees fisher man with canvas gear anymore, they wear truly waterproof gear.

Anyhow I was intrigued enough to make the order. At least it can be used winter time when temperatures are low enough. Maybe I will sleep on ground again over the soft snow with my suitable heavy Wiggys Ground Pad. Pad and the bedroll will weight over 4,6 kg! How is that for a single man shelter? And after those add a sleeping bag about 2,5 kg... not an UL set I must say!

There was also a very nice tarp over there, it weights only 6 kg.

http://www.wynnchester.co.uk/tarps/
    Very cool I'll be interested in hearing how it works out as a hammock.

In terms of waterproofness it isn't waterproof in the way goretex is but I haven't noticed that much difference in wetness in the morning with canvas and wool vs goretex and synthetic sleeping bag. Goretex 'wets out' whiles canvas soaks in a small amount of water; amounting to pretty much the same level of soggy, miserable dampness ;-)

The canvas will need a regular treatment though to maintain water repellency. Sometimes this waxing is very stiff when it's well below freezing

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Please do post a review once you get it. I am interested in how the hammock piece works. Like others it seems to me that it would be "tippy".

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Please do post a review once you get it. I am interested in how the hammock piece works. Like others it seems to me that it would be "tippy".
    I certainly will make a review.

To me this could be a perfect product to use with tipi and wood fire at boat trips where the weight is not an issue. If there is cold and bad weather I can sleep on ground inside tipi close the fire and when weather is good enough I would sleep hanging outside without tarp. And because the canvas breaths better than synthetic truly water proof materials I could close it up when sleeping to keep insects out. The Alpine hammock works also well even if it does collect some condensation (and of course it can be used open because of the insect netting, this bedroll seems to have only a small netted opening so it must be closed if there is mosquitos), but somehow the ruggedness of the canvas lures me to test this "thing".

We will see how it plays out.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    I certainly will make a review.

To me this could be a perfect product to use with tipi and wood fire at boat trips where the weight is not an issue. If there is cold and bad weather I can sleep on ground inside tipi close the fire and when weather is good enough I would sleep hanging outside without tarp. And because the canvas breaths better than synthetic truly water proof materials I could close it up when sleeping to keep insects out. The Alpine hammock works also well even if it does collect some condensation (and of course it can be used open because of the insect netting, this bedroll seems to have only a small netted opening so it must be closed if there is mosquitos), but somehow the ruggedness of the canvas lures me to test this "thing".

We will see how it plays out.

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch