Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images

Thumbs up Burrell's Ford "Trip" ~ Thank you Oconee First Responders

My grandson David joined us for his first backpacking trip this weekend. He's truck camped all his life and loves it but had never done a hike in camp. I've got enough extra gear that he has his own set up to use anytime we go.

We were to leave on Friday after work but I had to stay later than expected so we would have had to hike in the dark to get there. If it had just been me it wouldn't have mattered but I didn't think he'd like that so we went early Saturday morning. Got to camp about 11 and only Chigger and old4hats were there. Maddog67 had already left as he came up early and headed out Saturday. Had a nice time around camp. Got to fish some, explore a bit and relax on Saturday.

Got to hang the new Big Squid tarp in the piney woods for the first time and it worked out great. Thanks again Suidbilly!

Sunday morning rolls around and Chigger and old4hats pack it up and head for home. We had planned to stay through Monday due to missing out on some Friday time. About lunch the skies start to darken and David asked could we head home too. We get camp packed away and head back to the truck. About 1/2 mile out we're going down a small hill when I hear a thump and a scream behind me. David twisted his ankle and snapped both bones in three places above his ankle on his right leg. I got his pack off and helped him to the bottom of the hill. Got him situated in a camp chair and elevated his leg.
    A family was hiking up the trail and the dad had a fire fighter t shirt on so I asked if he was EMS. He was and looked at the leg and verified what I thought he would say - appears to be broken. Not far behind him was another EMS with a radio who was able to hike a ways back up the trail a bit and got a signal, called in for help and had me go wait for the ambulance and guide them in. About the time I got back to the truck the bottom let out and it poured down for over an hour. EMS and Rescue Responders arrive and we hit the trail to David over a mile away and it's not a walk in the park. They load him up on a gurney with a large all terrain tire in the middle and push and pull him up the trail to the ambulance. It was pouring rain, he was cold, scared and going into shock on the way out. They loaded him in and off to the hospital we go. Xrays show the damage and several hours later he's spending the night in the hospital.
    A big THANK YOU to all that helped in the ordeal and got him out safely! Be careful out there because you never know what's around the bend.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Wow. That will sure be a memorable first trip.

I came very close to joining y'all there. Decided at the last minute to spend the weekend closer to home in the Chattahoochee Nat'l Forest.

As reported on the other thread I had a wreck, but you guys really had a problem. So sorry that David was hurt, and so glad that help was within reach. Yes, I too am thankful for our ems personnel who are willing to help when need arrises. Please let us know of his progress and best wishes for success on your upcoming surgery.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Glad to hear you're OK too. Hope Chigger made it home in fine shape. We were very lucky to have knowledgeable folks out hiking the trail. After I left a Pediatrician came by and verified we were doing everything right.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40*
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Wow! I hope your Grandson gets better. I really wish we could have met up. I guess I took a wrong trail or something. We ended up at the campground with a bunch of ground dwellers all around, good people though. Keep us posted on the next group hang and will try and not get lost this time. lol.
    -No man is above the law and no man is below the law, nor do we ask his permission when we require him to obey it.

Theodore Roosevelt, 1903

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Oh man, 2ply! Sorry to hear about David's ankle. Sounds like you had an eventful weekend. Hope he gets well and healed up real soon and hopefully he will want to get back in the saddle - so to speak
    "A man's got to know his limitations," Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Sorry to hear about David's ankle! A lesson can be learned for us to watch our step and exercise our feet regularly to gain strength in the supporting muscles.

Between that and old4hats wreck, it was a rough weekend!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I am so sorry to hear about David's ankle. I know that had to be a very scary ordeal for him and you. Thank God for EMS personnel coming to your aid. With the weather coming in, it is a miracle those folks were out there. Tell David he is in my prayers.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    Glad to hear you're OK too. Hope Chigger made it home in fine shape. We were very lucky to have knowledgeable folks out hiking the trail. After I left a Pediatrician came by and verified we were doing everything right.
    Praise The Lord I did make it home with no problems. So sorry for David and you. I hope to take some of my Grand kids out this summer and now I will be very alert to possible trouble. We have to make this up to David when he is able to hike again.
    I did not see a wreck in the almost 800 miles I drove this weekend, but there were 16 fatalities in N.C. I don't know how many in S.C. but I feel very blessed.
    Best wishes to you for a very successful back repair and quick recovery.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    2ply, sorry to hear about David's ankle. Prayers for quick healing. Now I have to find the post about Old4hats' wreck.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast