Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    On the other hand most people here in US and worldwide are not going to steal your stuff
    I know all it takes is one thief
    But lighten up
    Travel with friends
    And consider what kind of music you are listening to at these festivals. Maybe certain types of music are more civilized and less likely to be linked with theft. You could tie your gear with the mythical whirling dervish knot or maybe Dutch can customize some locking Dutch Gear. Good luck my friend sometimes I worry too but you got to enjoy life because all the worrying in the world will not guarantee future events

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I had my pack sitting 3 ft away and it was stolen in Barcelona, Spain. Luckily I caught the guy and gave him a pummeling. Some countries have a culture of theft (they'll rob you blind in Italy).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    TX-270, TTTM
    Tarp
    CCS, Vertex
    Insulation
    HG, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    HammockFan &Straps
    Two options you may consider if you are in the market for a hammock or tarp (if you don't want to hold your bag):

1. Clark Flex-180 - As specified on the Clark site (http://www.junglehammock.com/product/flex-180):
    "Storage options: If you like to have your gear close at hand, you'll love the second bed of the FLEX-180 that acts as a storage area. This storage area includes sewn-in D-rings where you can clip gear you need during the night. At the top of the hammock bed, attachment points are available to store your backpack. All of your gear is protected from the elements and out of your way so you can get a great night's sleep."

2. The Nubé (new-bay) - As specified on the Sierra Madre Research website (http://www.smrgearme.com/buy-gear/nube):
    "The Nubé (new-bay) is more than just a hammock shelter, it’s a safe haven for you and your gear wherever you are. With it’s patent pending 3 in 1 system the Nubé is a complete hammock shelter, protecting you from torrential down pours, pesky insects, and keeping your gear elevated and protected, allowing you to freely venture in comfort. The Nubé is designed to be compatible with any camping hammock*, so now we can all enjoy complete elevated protection!"

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Go ultralight. Not only will your pack be lighter, but it will also be smaller. Both attributes will make it easier and more comfortable having it in your hammock with you. From there, a couple of choices sound likely. You could clip it to the suspension on the foot end of your hammock (kind of like an oversized peak bag) or use a gear hammock to store your pack ( and shoes, poles, etc) beneath you.
    The meaning of Life is to live it

Hammock
    Eno/ table cloth
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    0*Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Keeping your pack/stuff safe

Here is how I store/keep my pack, in this picture my pack is fully loaded, only the hammock is out, that's why it's got so much drag on it. I also tie the bottom up to the suspension, this helps some if it's wet and so on.
    I know some will nock it but it works really good for me.
    Hope this helps.
    Maytag
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm not completely stupid, just "Nucking Futz"

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    So is it right to assume that a gathered end hammock would be significantly better for this purpose? Thanks for your responses.
    I am using a WBRR for every night sleep just now, and I tried to picture my pack in there with me. It would never be comfortable under my legs, and it won't fit in on one side of me and would be intolerable on top of me. So, I would say either get comfortable with the pack laying on the ground just under the hammock, or hanging on the tree at one end of the hammock, or try a gathered end hammock. Even with a gathered end hammock, similar issues arise with comfort and hang angle. My solution is to keep the things that are really valuable, i.e. cash, credit card or similar in the hammock with me, and trust the rest to stay put.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

DIY gear that's not resell able

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Traveling like the OP is suggesting is not the place for high tech gear.
    I would get very good at DIY and nothing I displayed would look sellable.
    I agree with OutandBack about DIY and wrote a response to your (johng) other thread in detail about this. Basically know how to remake your hammock and tarp when it gets stolen. I traveled in the Amazon/Brazil and got accustomed to being robbed and starting over, not a big deal. Best to save your life not your gear. Label everything with your name and phone number or whatever so no one would want to steal it.

Remove stuff bags from BP hang as "peak bags" from EACH end of your gathered end hammock and bags from ridge line, less valuable stuff or wet stuff from outside where the hammock is attached to the suspension lines. I.e. not all in one place where it is easy to grab and go for a thief. BTW taking newbies downtown in a typical big city in Brazil is REALLY stressful for people like me who grew up there. Folks from the first world set their bag down and don't even put their foot on it or wrap a strap around them, not that this is much use if you are not watching much and the thief has a sharp box cutter to cut the strap, group of friends to block you so you cannot chase him. Oh the fun. N.A. is a walk in the park and SOOO SAFE! My friends and relatives down there have been pistol whipped at home, shot and killed. You will be fine here in paradise.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    How about a gear hammock hung from the ridgeline? Even the largest packs I have ever known would fit in a gear hammock above my legs.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

5500 miles N to S Brazil, nomad 's dream

A fun story of 2 nomadic dudes using hammocks and such to set a record. Last I checked they had stalled at my hometown and only made it 1/3 the total distance of 9,000 km 5,500 miles.
    IMO They mostly lacked great negotiation skills. Of all the Jungle survival skills my Dad taught me those where the most important. He could get documents and government permission when everyone else failed.
    www.Brazil9000.com

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    (insert pithy quote here)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast