Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hammock Suggestions

Hey folks, I am planning to buy a hammock, but I am unsure of what I should buy. I really like the hennessy hammocks and the snakeskins, but I need something light. I also need something cheap because I have to buy two (one for me and another for wife). Anybody know of a GOOD quality hammock setup (tarp and hammock) for a Good price? Does Hennessy do a discount if you buy 2 setups? I have been a member for a day now and have already learned a ton!

Thanks,

BossHawg

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Do not concentrate on cheap
    Buy from our great cottage vendors. Get 11 foot length and double layer in case you need a pad. No one ever saves money being uncomfortable and if you don't need or want your gear you can resale it fast here on the forums. Good luck on y'all's adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Buy from our great cottage vendors. Get 11 foot length and double layer in case you need a pad. No one ever saves money being uncomfortable and if you don't need or want your gear you can resale it fast here on the forums. Good luck on y'all's adventures
    Thanks! What exactly does it mean by asym then? I see Hennessy has the ultralight backpackers asym, but not sure with that means. I assume it is short for asymmetrical, but what about it is asymmetrical?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    check out the WL Snipe.
    cost effective and very comfortable. includes tree straps and whoopies for 105.
    paired up with a Tadpole and you're all set.
    Super comfort, unsurpassed quality, made in USA and top notch customer service.
    I'm just sayin', Wilderness Logics ROCKS!
    __bob__

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    You can make your own equipment in many areas and save cash....without loss of quality....check out the DIY threads and web sites..........

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post

I second...I have shopped for cheap with hobbies before and always end up selling and buying more stuff that costs me more in the longrun. Save up and get what you want and need. I am doing this as we speak. Switching over to hammock. Just bought Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and love it. Also just scored a HG cuben fiber tarp. Expensive, but wont regret it down the road from what Ive read on this forum.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Try to stay away from all in one packages until you know more about what you need.

Also buy "The Ultimate Hang Book" http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hang-...+camping+books. Written by one of our members. Lots of great how to info on hammocks in it.

Also recommend that you attend a group hang in your area so as to be able to check out some other setups. You can get a cheap hammock for under $30 on ebay and other deal sites but most of them are not suited for

You can also ask if there are any member in your area that have a XYZ style hammock that you could check out. Most hangers will be happy to help you out.

Get too cheap of a hammock and then finding out the wife is not comfortable in it and it will be hard to get her back in one. When I started I did my research and decided that the BlackBird was the best hammock out there ( and is still one of the best IMO although I would all so consider a Dream Hammock from Pappa and Mama Smurf). Ordered BB for wife a B'Day present. About two months before her B'Day we were sitting out in back yard and she said it would be nice if we had a hammock. Told her to wait just a minute and went and got her present. Set it up for her and she got in it and promptly fell asleep. Woke up about 20 minutes later and said "this is so soft and comfortable....can we take it on our next camping trip ? She is not into backpacking but she tries to attend the group hangs when we can get the same weekends off.

Picture from first time wife was in her hammock
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Gone
    Tarp
    back
    Insulation
    to
    Suspension
    ground
    Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    check out the WL Snipe.
    cost effective and very comfortable. includes tree straps and whoopies for 105.
    paired up with a Tadpole and you're all set.
    Super comfort, unsurpassed quality, made in USA and top notch customer service.
    I'm just sayin', Wilderness Logics ROCKS!
    __bob__
    Another vote for the Snipe/Tadpole combo. If I was starting from scratch, thats the direction I'd go.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite."

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BossHawg View Post
    Thanks! What exactly does it mean by asym then? I see Hennessy has the ultralight backpackers asym, but not sure with that means. I assume it is short for asymmetrical, but what about it is asymmetrical?
    The Hennessy hammocks have tie outs offset from the middle on each side which, combined with the integrated bug net, creates an asymmetrical shape which assists in laying on the diagonal.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    The snipe and tadpole are both 132" in length. Is this enough tarp coverage for good rain protection?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast