Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

First weekend trip pics + details

Unlike the majority on this site I do not hike. I bike instead. As hammocking is a niche to camping recumbents are a niche to bikes.

I ride a Longbikes Slipstream. It is a long wheelbase 2-wheeled bike with underseat steering. It is very comfortable to ride.

My ride was a 158km round-trip that started at home, took me to a Provincial park for 2 nights and back. I mostly rode empty county roads so that I could avoid most of the traffic. The total weight of bike + all gear was 130lbs. The bike alone weighs ~60lbs. The food and water that I brought was the biggest weight penalty. Considering that this was my first trip I need to lean to better manage the consumable weight.

All photos can be found here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/o2kewl/T...eat=directlink

Please provide any feedback and input. I will be sending the hammock to 2QZQ soon for mod#2.

Note about the lashing I used: It is a variation on the Hennessy Knot, but much quicker to do. I have found that the lashing held the hammock + gear with only 2 wraps and no knots, so the 5 wraps total gives me a sence of security (and I always finish with a slippery half hitch). The lashing have not slipped after 2 nights and 2 days in the the hammock.

I also have some homemade gear that I will be posting pictures of in the DIY section. It is a sleeping pad made out of milk bags that kept me very warm down to 55^F.

I forgot to mention the best part; When I woke my back did not hurt! I have had damaged disks in my lower back for 22 years, and I can honestly say that this was the first time I woke without pain.
    Last edited by Rug; 07-06-2009 at 20:57. Reason: Added info.

• + New Posts