HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Pad + UQ with Bridge Hammock for Deep Winter Camping?

As much as I swore I wouldn't do sub-zero camping again, I find myself seriously thinking of trips this winter! A big impediment for winter camping for me is my comfort. I use a BMBH UL now for 3 season, a BIAS WWM to save weight in the winter. Because of shoulder squeeze, I am seriously considering adding another 10 or so ounces to my 3 season pack by getting a double layer Bridge (which DL Bridge hammock - BMBH or WBRR - is a whole other discussion!) so I have the flexibility of using a pad. Additionally, I am so comfortable in my bridge that I think I would add the 2 pounds to my winter pack and schlep it over ice covered mountains in deep winter, but have a few questions.

Has anyone used both an UQ and Pad in a double layer bridge hammock for very low (0*) temps? Does the UQ fit around the pad enough to cover the sides of the DL Bridge? Do you get very cold shoulders? I have a hard time visualizing how an UQ would wrap around a pad and come up the sides enough to not lose a lot of heat....

Does anyone have experience with stacking UQ's with a bridge?

If you have stacked UQ or Pad+UQ in winter, is there a great benefit from one bridge hammock over another?
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    When I slept in a BMBH with a regular season neo air, I always added an underquilt to my set up to give me the warmth I couldn't get from the pad. My under quilt would wrap up the sides just past the pad and because of the extra room the 25" wide pad provided I never experienced cold shoulders unless I shifted enough to actually touch the sides. I use a WWM like you but I would say that he BMBH was my most comfortable sleep when using the neo air but the noise when I moved around bothered me a little. At night in the woods where all of the noises are heightened I felt like everytime I moved it was like opening a bag of potato chip in a quite library.

If I were shooting for the temps you are I would get the large 4 season neo air and match that to an under quilt and you should be happy.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    As much as I swore I wouldn't do sub-zero camping again, I find myself seriously thinking of trips this winter! A big impediment for winter camping for me is my comfort. I use a BMBH UL now for 3 season, a BIAS WWM to save weight in the winter. Because of shoulder squeeze, I am seriously considering adding another 10 or so ounces to my 3 season pack by getting a double layer Bridge (which DL Bridge hammock - BMBH or WBRR - is a whole other discussion!) so I have the flexibility of using a pad. Additionally, I am so comfortable in my bridge that I think I would add the 2 pounds to my winter pack and schlep it over ice covered mountains in deep winter, but have a few questions.

Has anyone used both an UQ and Pad in a double layer bridge hammock for very low (0*) temps? Does the UQ fit around the pad enough to cover the sides of the DL Bridge? Do you get very cold shoulders? I have a hard time visualizing how an UQ would wrap around a pad and come up the sides enough to not lose a lot of heat....

Does anyone have experience with stacking UQ's with a bridge?

If you have stacked UQ or Pad+UQ in winter, is there a great benefit from one bridge hammock over another?
    I think you will have to test and see. Stacking for sure will work. A wider UQ would be beneficial as the temps get to 0º and below.
    The Greylock 4 is very wide and comfy though I do not know how it works on a bridge yet as I have never put mine on a bridge.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    D Man, that is just what I needed to know. I am ok with the sound; I wear some hefty ear plugs and noise don't bother me. I just want to be W*A*R*M and C*O*M*f*O*R*T*A*B*L*E and carry an extra 5 pounds :-/ but who cares the last trip in winter was with wwm with stacked 0* & 20* TQ. Can't get much heavier than that :-)
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Shug , I know you are the Hammocking god of pushing the lower limits of winter camping. Have you ever winter camped in the bridge? If so, how do you make yourself warm? I've watched all your vids about winter hanging, but it seems to be with a gathered end hammock. I think bridges are far more comfy. Wondering if I can get them comfy below zero! I would love to "man up" and earn a badge of honor at one of these hangs. Don't mind the ice. Just gotta sleep well
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    whoops, shug you can disregard my previous post; I just saw your video post on the Warbonnet forum that you just recently got the RR, so you probably haven't winter camped in it unless things have gotten a lot colder in your neck of the woods
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

• + New Posts