Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    UQ NewRiver DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

Smile WBRR and Cloudburst tarp experience plus thanks!

Hey folks!
    It's been some time since I've posted anything on the forums (tsk tsk) but I've been learning a lot from you all. I've finally moved into a Ridgerunner and wanted to preach to the choir.
    The Ridgerunner rocks! The Cloudburst tarp rocks! Wow, I'm so glad I listened to you guys.
    I'm a Trail Life USA leader and getting out in the woods to test everything out and I have been quite pleased. The Ridgerunner has been the envy of every trailman that set eyes on it. They are getting ready to start DIY hammocks of thier own. They've already started talking about making a geodesic dome so that they can all hammock together even when there are no trees to hang from.
    The Cloudburst is a great tarp for people who like to stay dry. Even with 35+ wind gusts coming off a lake the cloudburst tarp held strong and in fact, helped rock me to sleep. The Cloudburst is very well made and I could not be happier.
    I've not been able to get my lynx yet, I am looking forward to that, but so far my AHE Kaq; new river underquilt seems to be working well. I added some 550 cord around the edges to make for a more snug fit. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm also thinking to replace my bridge with trekking poles but I kind of like using them for making a porch with my tarp. Has anyone had a positive experience using them? Other than the Lynx UQ, what's next? What's the next thing I need to make this even more awesome?
    I also wanted to thank Brandon for the prompt replacement of the tarp. There was a mixup with the colors, and he made it right very quick! Thanks Brandon!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    have you checked out the spindrift sock that warbonnet offers for the ridgerunner?
    Honor guide me

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 to the spindrift sock. Very nice for colder temps.

You might also look at a tarp pole mod. It places tent poles on the outside of the tarp to help open up in inside. Search on the forums for Superfly pole mod. The thoughts and instructions for those would apply to the cloudburst.

If you don't want to use your trekking poles but want to shave weight, search for the carbon fiber spreader poles. They save about 4 ounces.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    UQ NewRiver DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I was looking at the sock but was unsure if it was needed. Would the sock plus the system I have now make it for four season-ish?
    I'll have to check out those carbon fiber poles. I'm moving toward a lighter system overall. I wonder if I could modify a pack like the Golite Jam 50 to use the spreader bars for some sort of weight distribution, or something. I like all my gear to have multiple uses.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Spreader bars could work a bit in a pack, although as they aren't curved their value for that might be a bit limited.

The addition of the sock definitely makes it limited 4 season capable (depends on exactly what your definition of what 4 season is). I've used it to go down to 15 degrees with some light blowing snow without a tarp. A good protective tarp would bring it a good. It lower I suspect.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creature View Post
    I was looking at the sock but was unsure if it was needed. Would the sock plus the system I have now make it for four season-ish?
    I'll have to check out those carbon fiber poles. I'm moving toward a lighter system overall. I wonder if I could modify a pack like the Golite Jam 50 to use the spreader bars for some sort of weight distribution, or something. I like all my gear to have multiple uses.
    ive stuck my bmbh poles in the pad pocket of my jam behind the ccf pad. stiff but doable.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Images
    U need the spindrift sock for the cooler nights. It's awesome!! I just took mine off and I really didn't want to. Well worth the extra money. Also the poncho/undercover is really cool! Multipurpose!!!!

This is how it works for me!!

http://youtu.be/u5TLBAJsoCk

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRl...MK2HAUuKvTzHug

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    UQ NewRiver DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Cool Vid!
    Does the sock negate tarps in light wet weather as well or do you kind of need both?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Images
    U need both. It's not waterproof but light rain u may be ok. I only use the spindrift in winter, so I would use a tarp every time to help keep some warmth. It was a great winter in nj if u like snow and very cold!!!!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Images
    And u still get the awesome views in the spindrift

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast