DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Double layer question

Howdy folks! I am very strongly considering getting a WWM as my first real camping hammock. I'm attempting to build a very light setup for backpacking, and this seems like a great hammock option. I live in Florida, and the vast majority of my camping will be in Florida and south Georgia between May and October/November. For most of that period, it stays very, very warm at night. So I was thinking that I should be able to get by with just a pad rather than an underquilt (Please correct me if I am wrong).

Do any of you know how much extra weight the double layer adds to this hammock? I'll likely get the 56" version. Also any particular pads you recommend for use with this hammock?

I've also sent this question to the BIAS email but I know they stay busy so I thought I might get a quicker answer here.

Thanks a bunch!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    It's double the amount of material. So aside from the suspension, it should be roughly double the weight

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    Double layer, double the weight.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have a WWM DL in 60" width, and I also have a BIAS Hiker Lite in 55" width. I find the 60" width to be much more comfortable. A plain CCF pad should work fine down to about 30 degrees but below that might be pushing it. I've taken a 0* sleeping bag and ccf pad down to 22 degrees but didn't think I could go much lower so I moved to HG UQ/TQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks guys! I am pretty surprised to hear that it is actually close to double the weight. Granted, I've never actually seen a double layered hammock, but I would have guessed that the second layer was actually somewhat smaller than the main layer. I guess not!

SilvrSurfr, how tall are you? And do you have any way of weighing your WWM DL to confirm that it is double weight of single layer?

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    My 60" (most all the threads I read recommended this size) Knotty modded DL WWM weighs 15.4oz with 6' UCR suspension and a DIY noseeum ridgeline organizer. At 5' 11'' and 200# I find it VERY comfortable.

I use a puffer jacket UQ when the nighttime temps dictate the need for insulation. I plan to try a Dri Ducks poncho weather shield during the warmer months up here, should add just enough warmth while providing protection from the wind, the main culprit in summertime heat loss

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    I use a puffer jacket UQ when the nighttime temps dictate the need for insulation. I plan to try a Dri Ducks poncho weather shield during the warmer months up here, should add just enough warmth while providing protection from the wind, the main culprit in summertime heat loss
    Am I understanding correctly that you use a puffer jack as an underquilt? Or do you have an underquilt that can also function as a puffer jacket?

Do you think I could do a layered thing like this and be comfy in relatively low temps (listed from top to bottom)?

Hammock -> CCF pad -> Puffer jacket below my torso -> Driducks poncho

If I could get it rigged right, it seems like that would provide decent warmth, protection from the wind, and would make use of gear that I could use for other purposes.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    This should help with your first question https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ket-underquilt

I have layered two of these UQ's, and supplemented with a pad, to get down to the mid 20's. So yes, you could layer them all. It's far from ideal, but will work.

I have no experience hanging in FL, but I don't think you'll need a great deal of insulation down there. 70* and above I think the poncho will be plenty, PJUQ down to around 40ish.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    Thanks guys! I am pretty surprised to hear that it is actually close to double the weight. Granted, I've never actually seen a double layered hammock, but I would have guessed that the second layer was actually somewhat smaller than the main layer. I guess not!

SilvrSurfr, how tall are you? And do you have any way of weighing your WWM DL to confirm that it is double weight of single layer?
    I'm 5'11. I don't know why you would expect one layer to be smaller than the other layer. It's two rectangles of fabric sewn together.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm 5'11. I don't know why you would expect one layer to be smaller than the other layer. It's two rectangles of fabric sewn together.
    Having never seen one, I just assumed the second layer was only large enough to form a pocket to slide a pad into, not the same size as the whole thing. I know better now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast