Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Tangled Ropes

I am always tangling ropes or fighting the rope inside my bag. I remembered using a stuff sack years ago to keep fall-lines in while at construction sites, figured it would work nice for extra ropes, just on a smaller basis. I had some cool camo fabric that was dying to get sewn into something, too.
    gargoyle marlin spike 010.JPG
    I simply insert rope into bag, feeding it in from one end, carefully removing any kinks or twists or knots. Once all the rope is in, I tie the loose end to the drawstring on the stuff sack. Ready to go for the next time, and no tangles. Just untie drawstring and start pulling out rope. I have 100' of paracord in this bag. Keeps rope clean and easy to find in pack. Works with multiple lengths of rope, too. I put a small wrap of electrical tape around each loose end, feed each lentgh in one at a time and then tie off last end to bag.
    Rope feeds out with next section being easy to find, just grab the next end with tape on it. Also keeps gear clean if your rope/cord are dirty or wet.
    I have also seen this at the docks, sailboat effiecenados are fond of this practice.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great thinking. I just bought some rope today and was wondering how to keep it all tangle free in my bag. I dont have a sewing machine so I'm going to look around the house for a little bag I can do this with

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Looks like the throw bags they use on rafting trips. Neat idea.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Great thinking. I just bought some rope today and was wondering how to keep it all tangle free in my bag. I dont have a sewing machine so I'm going to look around the house for a little bag I can do this with

Extend your little finger and your thumb. Wrap the rope in a figure eight pattern between those two fingers. You can't pull it too tight or you'll collapse you finger space. When you carefully remove any kinks from the line as you do this you'll end up with a nice hank of rope that will fold on itself and can be tied off with one end. If you undo the bundle nicely it will not tangle. This assumes a fairly small diameter line. For larger diameter lines you can do the same thing between your knees.

Or you can take a piece of corrugated cardboard and cut a section to use as a winder. That works well if you don't mind the cardboard stiffness and extra gram or two.

If you have rope that is already tangled and you want to prepare it for the trail then lay the rope out full length. This is best done on a carpet or something like that so dirt does not get into the ropes. Stand at one end and wind the rope by pulling it toward you. This will allow you to wind it smoothly and the kinks will naturally flow out of the rope. Under no circumstances should you do this outside when using climbing rope or other load critical line where sand or dirt could compromise the safety of the line.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts