WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

No more cheap fabric a Walmart

Hey guys, for the last 2 years I have bought lots of really cheap nylon and silnylon from my local walmart. However, the last few months , all of the stores around the Atlanta area are getting out of the fabric business. Good thing I stocked up when I had the chance! Do you know of any other sourced for really cheap fabric? I loved it, if I messed up a project, I wasnt out much money. Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone else had a source of good cheap fabric.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Noah Lamport sells silnylon 2nds for $3.00/yd. Shipping added makes it about $4.00/yd. It's 65" wide. Good price, but still no $1.50/yd walmart deal, but at least you know you're getting good fabric, and you know what it actually is.

The Wal-Mart near me is getting out of it as well... I was terribly disappointed. Hopefully the other one nearby will keep it.

Just a word to the wise... get what you can while it's around.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Walmarts around here never had anything but one batch of untreated ripstop in the last several years.

Moreland, Georgia! As Shug would say, Whooo Buddy! I grew up in Palmetto and Newnan - had good friends from Moreland. My family still lives in Newnan but I only get down twice a year most years. Maybe we should hook up next time I'm down to do some hanging.

JayS

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Word at our local store is that almost all Walmarten are converting themselves to Super-Walmarten, and that Süber-Walmärten will not carry fabric in the future.

Great was the gnashing of teeth, tearing of hair, and rending of garments at the sound of this proclamation.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    B'ham has dried up also. I'm subscribing to this thread in case anyone finds a new source. It was good while it lasted. Just wish I had splurged when I had the chance... but... my wife would have Killed me!

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    I've been able to find plenty. I'm still working through my 100 plus yards of spinnaker, but I've also picked up several yards of decent ripstop all most of the local Walmarts. There was one that is remodeling and doing away with the sewing department. It had the ripstop marked down to 50 cents a yard. I bought all they had left of any decent colors. Most of it ranged from completely untreated, mildly treated, to well treated DWR.

The ones that usually do have ripstop only get shipments of it in about once every other month or so.

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images

Exclamation Form A Complaint To Your Wm Store.

ALL,

One of the WM stores in my area still has fabric and WM wanted to discontinue carrying it and the local quilting clubs complained to WM and they didn't discontinue the fabric from this store.

Sooo... If there are enough of you all in one area that complain, they might reconsider discontinuing the fabric from the store.

But a WM employee told me that all new Super WM that are built now, are not going to have fabric at all.

I think it’s worth trying.

As the saying goes…. “ The squeaky wheel gets the grease.”

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    At one time there was an online petition asking WM to keep their fabric sections. I guess it didn't help because almost all the stores in my area have gotten rid of their fabric.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Yeah, supplies have been dwindling all over for at least two years now. Every time I do a cross country drive these days, schedule permitting, I check out the Super Centers I pass by. I still find stuff occasionally, but it's been disappearing really fast over the last few months.

One of the best fabric centers I'd found was at the store off I-77 / exit 111 by North Canton, OH. That was two years ago, though.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    At the store here that is remodeling, the lady was complaining about them closing the fabric center. She said they usually brought in about $2000 a day. That's probably the lowest when compared to any other department. I can understand why they would be closing the department.

From what I understand, most of the bargain fabric comes in as scraps basically and has to be sorted, labeled by the store employees. I'm not sure where it comes from, but each time Walmart opens a new location that is simply more locations for the bargain fabric to get split between.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast