One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti

How do you use your Dutch bling?

I recently ventured into the world of Dutchware, and I think it's addictive. I picked up a pair of Dutch Clips and now I'm eying the whoopie hooks. I need some help visualizing the set up and some of the ramifications there of.

My understanding is that when used together, the clip is on one end of the strap and the whoopie is larks headed to the other with the hook spliced into the adjustable loop. My concern with this set up is the minimum hang distance. In my mind the tree strap length is determined by the size of the tree. Yes, it can be shortened with wraps but I'm not sure about the safety of having the whoopie pass through the clip instead of the strap. This would result in a random amount of excess strap between the tree and the whoopie. I hope the picture in my head came out in a coherent word picture.

Basically, what I'm trying to figure out is if the convenience of using a whoopie hook is worth the potential increased required hang distance vs my current use of a marlin spike hitch.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    PapaSmurf has some pics here: http://www.dreamhammock.com/ChoosingPage.html

Look at the suspension section. Hope that helps.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhott View Post
    PapaSmurf has some pics here: http://www.dreamhammock.com/ChoosingPage.html

Look at the suspension section. Hope that helps.
    That's pretty much what I was picturing. My concern is the length of strap between the Dutch clip and start of the whoopie. With a MSH I can make that however long or short I want. But with the whoopie hooks I don't seem to have any control over it.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    That's pretty much what I was picturing. My concern is the length of strap between the Dutch clip and start of the whoopie. With a MSH I can make that however long or short I want. But with the whoopie hooks I don't seem to have any control over it.
    Have you thought about doing it this way? https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...one-suspension
    I thought that Dutch sold the all in one setup but don't currently see it on the site. Maybe I imagined it.

I only use whoopies on 1 of my hammocks and use a toggle.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I use Whoopie hooks at the adjustable loop of my whoopie slings, continuous loops at the gathered ends of my hammcock via Larkshead hitches but, I still use a Marlinspike hitch to hang the fixed end of my whoopie sling from my tree straps. If the trees are modestly sized and close to one another I'll omit the whoopie sling entirely and hange the hammock directly from the tree straps

I find this set-up provides the most versatility and gives my more hanging options.

The question of whether Dutchware is addictive...? I am deep into a Dutchware obsession. Dutch clips and Stingerz are my titanium of choice. I have dabbled in Dutch hooks, and experimented with Tarp Flyz. I have experience with his quilt hooks and recently got an set of Dutch Biners that are just so.... I guess you coud say I have a problem. On the plus side, shipping is always cheap.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhott View Post
    Have you thought about doing it this way? https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...one-suspension
    I thought that Dutch sold the all in one setup but don't currently see it on the site. Maybe I imagined it.

I only use whoopies on 1 of my hammocks and use a toggle.
    That's an interesting set up. The thing I would be worried about is the lack of something to stop water running down the suspension. I think my question may have been discussed further on in that thread. I'll have to go back and reread it when I have time to ponder on it a little.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I use Whoopie hooks at the adjustable loop of my whoopie slings, continuous loops at the gathered ends of my hammcock via Larkshead hitches but, I still use a Marlinspike hitch to hang the fixed end of my whoopie sling from my tree straps. If the trees are modestly sized and close to one another I'll omit the whoopie sling entirely and hange the hammock directly from the tree straps.
    I hadn't thought of hanging the continuous loop on a MSH as a short distance back up. I like it! I also have some wasps that I'm going to try on my new tarp when I'm done making it.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My preferred method for hooks is hammock>continuous loop>whoopie hook>whoopie sling>toggle>tree strap

I also use biners for removable structural ridgelines and 2 stingers for a continuous tarp ridgeline (I could easily get away with a stinger + something else, but I like the clips on both end) The ultimate hang has a good bit about crl with carabiner and figure 9, which is what I do, but with stingers in both places.

• + New Posts