Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images

Confessions of a Subdued DIY-er

I'm not afraid of sewing. Even sylnylon. I figure I can do it right it I go slow but steady, and if it's not perfect, it's okay. I'm not afraid of knots. I actually have a book on knots in my *entertainment* box in my RV. But I think I went about half plumb crazy after I finally joined this list instead of continuing to lurk as I had off and on for years. I was on Whiteblaze before.

And I loved hammocks before. But now I'm finally getting back into hiking and determined to replace my failed Coleman hammock with a *real* hammock and so I joined and started spending the better part of days and nights reading and reaching and watching and watching (youtube) and called it research. Eager to get *out there* I settled on DIY because it is either that or miss the season waiting for cash to pile up.

The tarp seemed to be the most expensive proposition because as a woman of a certain age I wanted some privacy, and decent weather protection as I don't like to pack it in when the wind/rain/snow starts. So, DIY to the rescue. I could afford to by the sylnylon and I'm not afraid of sewing it, really.

And the tablecloth hammocks sounded fine. I know there are lighter but they are great value. Why not start there and put the $$ into the tarp?

So I ordered one. Purple. No need for more camo out there. And then I ordered another one, for my friend. No need for her to miss out on the fun (I'm staying with her and her husband right now. What I can do for her, I do.) The second will be apple green, I think.

Then I got carried away and ordered another, what? Well, have you seen the prices on that new Argon 1.6 at Dutchwaregear? Yikes. So now I'm gonna make 3 hammocks?? And, I decided on the rock pocket bugnet so ordered that, too. (Have you seen his prices?) Yes I ordered the suspension stuff, too. Not premade, but material. I like knots, remember. Always wanted to learn how to splice. No clips. Not yet. Maybe after I learn where to put stuff. I've always just strung my hammocks from ropes!

And now, hohoho, the jokes on me, I still have the tarp to go for. I decided on the OGEE. Nice, isn't it? I especially like the little *doors.* Ingenious, really. But they are pretty short. And I am not small. Privacy and good weather protection, right?

So, now I'm *tweaking* the design for just the right OGEE for me. Really. With models and scale drawings. And now I'm starting to think and when am I going to get through all these projects? The object at first was to get out there fast.

So here I sit, 3 hammocks worth of stuff all shipped, not received yet. Plus the bug net. And tonight in my mind I'm thinking I could find my tyvek tarp and use that in the meantime, or cut down that camo tarp I picked up at biglots that was just too good to walk away from.

Oh, my. What was that thead about "I've got it bad?"

Oh my, that sounds like my experience with DIY too! Good on you

Hammock
    DIYGS 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Blue HarborFreight
    Insulation
    sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCRs
    Yep, a couple 'simple' hammocks morphed into hundreds of yards of fabric, rope, and thread.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    So stay away from fabric stores, you will see some polyester or Ripstop at 1.50 a yard and the next thing you know, you'll have 20 more yards of material just to have in case. You'll be thinking backpacks, stuff sacks maybe even a goose down vest...

Also stay away from the ultra-light backpacking sites, they have all kinds of cool things you can make.

😈
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIYing 2 tablecloths, 2 argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onfire View Post
    Oh my, that sounds like my experience with DIY too! Good on you
    LOL. I guess I was more playing for attention than sympathy. Just not sure if I'm going to wake up and it all went away, or winds up in stacks in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamicsnail View Post
    Yep, a couple 'simple' hammocks morphed into hundreds of yards of fabric, rope, and thread.
    Not yet, the packages have not yet arrived. But that is what I'm envisioning. I don't want to end up with a bunch of stuff I never got *around to.* Seem to have put myself under some pressure. Need to back up, take a breath.

Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    So stay away from fabric stores, you will see some polyester or Ripstop at 1.50 a yard and the next thing you know, you'll have 20 more yards of material just to have in case. You'll be thinking backpacks, stuff sacks maybe even a goose down vest...

Also stay away from the ultra-light backpacking sites, they have all kinds of cool things you can make.

��
    Oh no! I stopped by Walmart today mainly to check the fabric bin. I've been *researching* online all evening. I've gotta get to bed. What am I reading myself to sleep on this week? Ray Jardine. This is no joke. Except I feel real silly right now. Gotta get this under control. Also gotta do 5+ the greenway tomorrow, missed it today. It's good, right? Man, I sure wanna do a multi-day.

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Confessions of a Subdued DIY-er

I went a day without getting some Hammock stuff delivered and UPS called to see if I was ok. He he.
    Last edited by Charliev; 06-01-2014 at 06:10.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Just wait till the thread injector addiction starts. My wife and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and I'm up to 8 of them now Had to have something to make all the projects.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    Just wait till the thread injector addiction starts. My wife and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and I'm up to 8 of them now Had to have something to make all the projects.
    Yeah-ain't that the truth. Next thing you know, you'll be hitting the estate sales and watching craigslist for machines. I picked up another Singer 401 today: had to, they were practically giving it away!

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Birds of a feather!

I started after clicking on a link at the Pacific Crest Trail Assn website. It led me to RayJardine's page and ultimately kits for 2 backpacks, a double tarp and net tent, & a top quilt. Daughter #2 and I went to the Enchantment Lakes last August, using the gear I made, ground camping. For four days/three nights, our packs weighed 19 and 24 lb. That included my small camera and a 1.5 lb tripod. DIY reminds me of the "heavy gear" days of the last century when Frostline sold kits for sleeping bags, packs, down jackets, etc.

I found backpackinglight.com and HF.net. My new gear is DIY, not kits nor ready made. I've made two gathered end hammocks (10' and 11'), whoopie slings, tree straps and one underquilt. I have materials for still more hammocks (12' gathered and a couple bridge hammocks) another top quilt and underquilts. Two sheer curtains from Walmart await conversion to a bug net. I spent one night in my 10' with underquilt and found one cold spot, which I hope disappears after a revision. I like DIY much more than working. A few more shakedown hangs and I can hang in the wilderness.

I made a tarp from window shrink film, clear and colorless [privacy isn't an issue with me],
    at night: the stars;
    at dawn: bats flitting overhead, snagging their breakfast.

I love the HF for the generosity, intelligence and wisdom of its members.

Hammock
    DIYing 2 tablecloths, 2 argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliev View Post
    I went a day getting some Hammock stuff delivered and UPS called to see if I was ok. He he.
    LOL - I went hiking today and seriously was bothered to not be home when the mail came. I mean, packages on the porch all afternoon. Yikes! What bothered me most was not the money but the idea of having to do without all the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I've already been thinking that direction. =) My mind is going back to the simpler models that worked better. Kind of like your basic lawnmower -- always fixable. I refuse to let that get started right now! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    Yeah-ain't that the truth. Next thing you know, you'll be hitting the estate sales and watching craigslist for machines. I picked up another Singer 401 today: had to, they were practically giving it away!
    Sure, they were. ;-) Sooooo glad I chose to go hiking this afternoon instead of sitting home waiting on mail. While I was gone -- presto -- all the hammock stuff I have ordered came. I refuse to start ANYTHING tonight. I would only mess it up. And tomorrow is church. I think I'll start with the simpler tablecloth hammock. Heading back now to watch more DIY videos.... Got to get a handle and move from obession to production and application.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast