View Poll Results: Would you like to see Molly Mac Gear DIY Kits?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I'd like that.

12 44.44%
  • No... I prefer to make my own all the way

1 3.70%
  • Maybe... depends on the price

14 51.85%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Just get Dejoha to draw up your instructions and you're good to go in that respect. I like the idea though.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Toss in the Molly Mac Pack, too
    Not sure that would be a good idea. The Molly Mac Pack requires an industrial machine to handle the thick portions. Also, if you don't have experience making bar tacks for PALS arrays, they can turn out weak or ugly.

I am going through each product to find out where costs can cut. Kits would eliminate the labor component only. It might be better to lower material costs and reflect that in lower prices for the finished goods.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, DIY's....
    Tarp
    HG, JRB, DIY...
    Insulation
    UGQ Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch ti/amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Not sure that would be a good idea. The Molly Mac Pack requires an industrial machine to handle the thick portions. Also, if you don't have experience making bar tacks for PALS arrays, they can turn out weak or ugly.

I am going through each product to find out where costs can cut. Kits would eliminate the labor component only. It might be better to lower material costs and reflect that in lower prices for the finished goods.
    Not sure about the kits but I do t think I'd sacrifice quality for lower price.
    This is probably the only option for lowering material costs.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm no business man and don't run a company. Just my opinion. I hate to see companies that have great products lower the quality so they can sale at a price point that appeals to more people. If people want cheaper gear there are alternatives. I'd continue with what works and what your customers have come to love e and depend on.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Burrow 20-Phoenix0
    Suspension
    Whoopies-ENO Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Offering a pattern might be a way around the whiners. Patterns provide fabric options (for those who want a different color pattern, weight) while stepping up the knowledge level of the buyer. Saves you the cutting. Places more emphasis on the skill of the maker. The instructions issue is not eliminated. But somewhat remedied.
    I also like this idea. Then if it looks harder than the person wants to do. they can go to a seamstress and pay to have it done by a professional. imeThen when they pay more than just ordering direct from Molly Mac they will think twice the next time. Once people realize that these things don't just fall together they will stop b*&ching about prices.
    Buckeye Bill

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Offering a pattern might be a way around the whiners. Patterns provide fabric options (for those who want a different color pattern, weight) while stepping up the knowledge level of the buyer. Saves you the cutting. Places more emphasis on the skill of the maker. The instructions issue is not eliminated. But somewhat remedied.
    In today's world of YouTube, why not a video set of instructions, it kinda takes out the interpretation... Personally I'm more of a visual learner myself...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    jarbridge/diy uq
    Suspension
    Webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    In today's world of YouTube, why not a video set of instructions, it kinda takes out the interpretation... Personally I'm more of a visual learner myself...
    I think that the youtube option is a great idea. If you go that route be sure to use common equipment so the average joe diy'er has an idea how to do the job. I definitely think it would be much less hassle than trying to write up fool proof instructions. In fact, I always check youtube before I begin a new DIY project for ideas and insights.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, DIY's....
    Tarp
    HG, JRB, DIY...
    Insulation
    UGQ Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch ti/amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    This seems like a good idea. I also search youtube before, during and usually after any project.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

There is a niche market for DIY kits

I think DIY kits for relatively simple items may be a good idea. Some people short on time may consider all the time it takes to determine exactly what materials and qualities they need for something as simple as a tablecloth or ripstop nylon gathered end hammock with suspension and just go buy an ENO instead because time is money and searching and ordering takes time. Same thing for UQ and sock etc.
    I assume most people DIY to get exactly what they want and for the satisfaction of it not to save money. Generally it is mostly those who have spent many hours and materials on DIY or are just remarkably skilled at it that can honestly say they saved a significant amount of money overall. Stocking shelves at Walmart probably would have paid better but not been as much fun.

Understandably as with most things 10% of the people generate 90% of the customer complaints and service requests, silly questions etc. This has been my experience anyway. I may have been in the 10% with my 1st child, hospital had a no return policy.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-13-2014 at 22:39.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12