Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY

Uninsulated Inflatable Pad

I've heard about ground-dwellers using uninsulated inflatable pads in the warm months. There are still convection currents within the pad, so they won't be as warm as ccf or and insulated pad, but they are cheap, light, provide and (mostly) dead air space and take very little pack space. I was wondering if anyone has tried using one in a hammock and what kind of temperatures they were good for (if any). I know that bottom insulation is extremely important for hammocks, but would the air around the bottom of the hammock chill the pad more than the ground does?

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    why would you want to? i don't think you could find one cheaper, warmer, or lighter than CCF or reflectix.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Pad n Bag
    Suspension
    Straps, Biners
    In a hammock you are more concerned with its ability to keep you warm than to be comfortable. The comfort is provided by your hammock. These uninsulated pads are mainly for comfort, like a big Agnes aircore( uninsulated) don't worry about how "poofy" it is, as this is mainly just for on ground comfort, unless there is a chance you may go to ground.
    This probably doesn't make any since. Sorry.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Pad n Bag
    Suspension
    Straps, Biners
    Basically, in a hammock pad insulation trumps all else. This rule doesn't apply in any other conditions, like the ground.

Hammock
    DIY
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I wanted to check out the other options besides ccf because of the pack space required. Do most of you who use ccf also use it as a back support for a frameless pack? In researching insulation in sleeping bags, loft is the key to keeping warm because more loft means a bigger dead air space. Uninsulated inflatable pads have a huge amount of loft for a very small weight and size price. Are uninsulated inflatables not effective simply because of all the convection currents inside which are not stopped by insulation, or is there also another consideration for warmth?

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Basically a big bag of air does nothing to keep the air inside of the bag warm.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Dead air space mean's air that can't produce convective current's. It's very very small air pocket's. The interior of an inflatable pad doesn't constitute "dead air".

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    You put a pad in a hammock purely to provide insulation. Using an uninsulated air pad would be pointless.

Hammock
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Dead air space mean's air that can't produce convective current's. It's very very small air pocket's. The interior of an inflatable pad doesn't constitute "dead air".
    Thanks Boston! I thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure. That's definitely a good piece of information to know.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I disagree with everyone except Boston. The point is that its not dead air space insulation, but I think you know that. I believe your point is that the air pad has value with regard to bulk - which I totally get compared to ccf - and that you're wondering how much r-value it can have with regard to summer hanging, correct? Has nothing to do with being comfy. I have this continual struggle myself with how to pack my ccf pad (lightest option) or whether to take my Thermarest which packs down well, but is heavy. My UQ falls inbetween weight-wise, but would not want it in truly warm evening conditions.

You know, much of the convective cooling effect comes from how our own body's cooling system works - when convective currents are in direct contact with our skin, we cool down more efficiently. In a hammock, it winds up being too efficient for our own good. Give yourself some space between direct air currents and your skin - as you would have with an air pad - then you should get at least some r-value from that. Probably also get some minimal restriction of heat loss due to the pad being an enclosed area, though the materials enclosing it won't restrict much heat loss. But its probably enough for warm temps - I just don't have the experience to say how warm. When I was initially going from the ground to hanging, I used a BA insulated pad and noticed quite a difference from the ground - I started noticing coolness in the low 40s whereas I could get to low 30s on the ground. My guess is that if 70 is too cool with no pad, that the air pad might get you to 65. And that might be enough to justify taking it.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 06-04-2014 at 21:20.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast