Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Great flexible ideas for Weather from all (almost all)

Lots of great suggestions from y'all above, I need to try some of them that are new to me. Except the odd sense of humor from comment #10 above, What the hey! Watching silly TV shows much? Might I suggest shutting off the idiot box and going on a camping trip in the woods. (My mother always called TV's devil's boxes and would not allow us to have any in the house. "Get out and build something son, play ball, read a book in your hammock, but don't sit around watching junk at your friend's house." She was the best!)

When it is very hot and a tarp traps heat and humidity I will typically set it up very high to allow wind to blow through or pull off to the side like in comment #7 (great photo). But if it starts to rain, I can loosen the tarp's suspensions lines a little and use a bit of cord to pull them toward the hammock's suspension lines and get more coverage very quickly and almost nothing gets wet even if I sleep through the first few minutes of rain drops. But storm fronts usually make noise and wake me up.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-02-2014 at 00:32.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    Lots of great suggestions from y'all above, I need to try some of them that are new to me. Except the odd sense of humor from comment #10 above, What the hey! Watching silly TV shows much? Might I suggest shutting off the idiot box and going on a camping trip in the woods. (My mother always called TV's devil's boxes and would not allow us to have any in the house. "Get out and build something son, play ball, read a book in your hammock, but don't sit around watching junk at your friend's house." She was the best!)
    I was going to put in there that this is what happens when you listen to Mom when it comes to camping, but clearly it differs per household. I do get a chuckle when my wife reminds me about the loose serial killer stalking us all in the woods. And just for the record, I don't watch a lot of TV, but appreciate the thought. If you don't live with someone who is afraid to go camping because of irrational fears like this, I guess I can see where you wouldn't get the joke, but unfortunately that's the cards I was dealt. Mrs. Fig grew up thinking/being told that all doors had to be locked behind her, and she shouldn't be venturing out after dark alone, etc. I was once locked in the garage when she roamed by and instinctively locked the deadbolt after I had just gone through the door.

To get back on topic, as a Dad, I agree. Listen to him.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Under the stars, scary owls

I ignored my mother's advice and example and allowed my young daughters to watch those "CSI" TV shows. Not only will they not sleep under the stars without a tarp like I did as a kid. But when owls hooted back and forth to each other they freaked out about it. Now as teens they have endless excuses to never primitive camp at all, but still enjoy hammocks around the house and cabin as long as there is WiFi and hard cover nearby. Not certain of the genetics.

PS: While visiting me at college once my Dad also ignored Mom's advice and sat there and watched "CNN" for several hours. I asked how he enjoyed "Deja vu" TV. Not familiar with remote ctrl.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-02-2014 at 10:21. Reason: PS on Dad

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12