Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cold Reception at Campsite!

Hi all.

Finally an opportunity came along to try out my new HH ULBP! I went on a diving trip last weekend to the south coast of England, and we were all to stay at a campsite over night. Great!

But when we arrived at the campsite, the staff were less than accommodating. They'd never heard of any sort of hammock other than the ones you find yourself on at the beach, with a cocktail in-hand. And the idea that I might want to hang one at their campsite... They told me in no uncertain terms that I was not to hang anything anywhere. They were pretty rude, and patronizing (one woman suggested that I might like to go to the beach for a little while and 'chill out' in my hammock there! - I tried to explain... not that sort of hammock)

So anyway, my first night in my new HH was on the ground, with the hammock pitched bivy style, using two hiking poles borrowed from another camper. Nonetheless I had the best night's sleep I'd had for about three weeks (I've been trying to get over jet lag), and I slept way better than another guy in our group who was taking the Mick, saying I was going to freeze and get soaking wet... I probably would have got wet if it had rained - the ULBP only had a Velcro fastener to close the entrance, which would let water in.

Has anyone else had trouble with campsite staff being hammock-unfriendly? And does anyone have any tips for keeping water out if you have you hammock bivy style? I pegged a bin liner to the ground below the entrance, but I'm not sure it would have done much...

Thanks guys - I've been reading these forums for a while! Some good stuff here!
    Last edited by NT57; 07-08-2009 at 18:01.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    A good waterproof ground sheet and carry a larger tarp, if you think your going to run into trouble. Set up on higher ground, steering clear of possible wash-out areas. Dig a small trench, 1-2" deep, uphill of your bivy, to route away any run-off water. Trench out in a v-shape around sides. Place a log uphill to funnel water away from bivy. Anchor a small log or two, uphill of your bivy, with rocks to prevent it from rolling down during the night, or drive stakes in front of log(s), some small sticks from the woods will do). Keep your fingers crossed that you don't get hit with a monsoon.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    This reinforces my reasons for not referring to my setup as a hammock anymore. Instead I call it a suspended tent. It immediately is followed by a questioning "huh?", so I describe it again, it is like a tent but suspended between two trees. Frankly it provides a more correct image to non-hammockers.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    JRB-Mt. Washington
    I just haven't been mentioning it at all to any of the staff...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    . Dig a small trench, 1-2" deep, uphill of your bivy, to route away any run-off water. Trench out in a v-shape around sides.
    Trenching is against the tenets of "leave no trace" camping and prohibited in most provincial and national parks in Canada.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I just roll in and set up. I had a ranger in Yosemite's backpacker campground stalk around it suspiciously, but she went away without a word. I'm all prepared with a talk on the LNT nature of the setup, with the straps that don't leave a dent on tree bark and the lack of damage to the ground flora.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    I like the idea of saying a suspended tent, but to be frank I wouldn't have told them, I've never been asked the type of tent before, only its size, ie solo

Once your set up with I presume your mates tents besides you, shrug

Pity it was England, up here you could have taken one step off their property and set up with no worries, as long as you follow the "responsible access code".

A link for the next time your up in a civilized Country

Cheers

Stephen

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    When Warbonnetguy sends out a hammock he includes written instructions, on the same sheet is included a warning to all of us hammockers about the growing trend/resistance to hanging in parks. We must be vigilent and realize that we will have to educate more and more people of LNT and how a hammock does far less environmental damage than a tent--even then it will be a struggle dealing with minds that cannot see the forest for the hammock! This weekend we hung in a national forest campground and then stealthed along the Edisto--no problems in either place--but we knew the mental status of most of the state park attendants and purposefully avoided them. It might be in our interests to visit the superintendent of some state parks for an introduction of ourselves/our ethic (LNT), and the hammock itself, fully presenting the tree huggers and how they eliminate any damage-that no nails are used etc. But we also must realize that in their minds eye allowing anything to be attached to a tree is also allowing the more unscrupulous to attach a clothesline to hang their diapers, their undershirts with a famous NASCAR racer, etc.
    In the end for me it is simply avoiding places to hang where it will be an issue and always carrying a backup tent in the car.
    On the trail I can always (so far) stealth it when needed.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Never had a problem setting up my hammock. I've had some rangers say "no ropes" on the trees, but that's not an issue. Most times, they come by to ask lots of questions about the set-up, as most have never seen a true camping hammock.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cashley550 View Post
    I just haven't been mentioning it at all to any of the staff...
    This plan has worked fine for me so far.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast