DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Data points

I just thought I'd toss my hat in the ring.

I'm 6'-2 1/2" tall (about 189 cm?), my weight fluctuates but these days varies between 220 and 230 lbs. The DD Travel Hammock is the only hammock I've ever used, I've had it since March of '09 and have used it at LEAST monthly since then.

My feeling is that, it's all in what you're used to. I'm extremely comfortable in my DD Hammock... but I've never been in anything else! I hang this hammock pretty much as taut as I can- a fellow hanger at a recent campout remarked that he'd never seen a tarp hung higher on the tree than the suspension of a hammock- but I wouldn't be able to get in if I didn't do that! Also, I don't try to get "diagonal" very much, maybe a little but I spend a lot of time either on my back or "half-back, half-side" position and honestly unless there are extreme weather conditions I tend to sleep until somebody wakes me.

YMMV but I've got no problems with my DD traveler at almost 6'-3" tall. Someone coming from a BB or HH might have a whole other experience though, I really couldn't say. My secret has been, to stay out of those other hammocks!

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I have had much the same experience as Festus. I am 183 cm and weigh 110kg. I have only had slight discomfort due to cramped feet-usually due to a bit of lazy tieing. Tight lines mean I wake up on my front occasionally.
    I love the waterproof material-it only leaves my back feeling slightly damp in the hottest of weather and i got out dry and warm last week sleeping at 10f-proper cold for England. I sometimes have to ground dwell and the webbing and material seems ideal for the flexibility needed to tie to hiking sticks, roots etc and keep me isolated from the damp floor.I woke up in may after a flood to find i was in 2" deep water all around me- I was completely dry! I waded out and left dry and happy. I will replace the webbing with 5mm dyneema core and krabs when the webbing is worn out.
    I did have problems keeping warm in winter due to compression of insulation, so i put 2 thin ccf pads side by side and covered the split with a windscreen shade-this took me down to 20f with no sleeping bag and I was toasty and still dry. I have no experience of other 2 ply hammocks-a breathable model would up my pack weight, get wet and would not breathe due to ccf pads. DD Travel hammock-big enough for my Hugh Jass !!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I'll throw a couple more options in just to confuse matters

During winter I use the Nomad Land XXL ..
    http://www.hammock-nsl.com/hammocks-xxl.php
    Available from www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk

It's only a single skin so I pair it up with a winter rated underblanket. They're made from parachute silk and are huge, very soft and comfy. Definitely woth a look anyway.

For Spring and Summer I prefer to go a bit lighter and ditch the underblanket for a 3/4 Thermarest so I need two layers under me again.
    I use a Nomad Travel XL which is basically the same as the DDs but a bit more generous in the sizing. I was recommended them by a few bushcraft instructors and I've found it to be a great bit of kit.
    http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog...-hammock-xlong

It's all personal choice though and it makes sense to try as many as you can, maybe get to meet up with some fellow hangers over here and see if you can try a few.

BUT having said all that, I then went and found this place a few months ago and now there's so much choice. Really liking the Blackbird and I'll be treating myself in a couple of months.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Thanks Shewie, i didnt know these were in existence. Looks as if they would give a slightly strighter lie than my dd. The site says they are 2.67 m long- is this incorrect? Are they waterproof?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    Thanks Shewie, i didnt know these were in existence. Looks as if they would give a slightly strighter lie than my dd. The site says they are 2.67 m long- is this incorrect? Are they waterproof?

The size is right at 2.67m

They're not waterproof as far as I know, just treated against bugs.

Your tarp should keep the rain off though

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I use my hammock on the ground when needed as a bathtub groundsheet, on top of my ccf to keep out every last bit of damp-hence my interest in waterproof material.

I guess I could use a seperate groundsheet though and save some weight.

Hammock
    DDHammock Frontline
    Tarp
    DDTarp
    Insulation
    DDUnderquilt
    Suspension
    modified DDTape

New to hammock camping

Hi all, (first post, so I am a big noob to this)

I bought a DD Hammock Frontline 4 weeks ago (to be more precise, I bought the DDpack, including tarp etc).

I am reading about these hammocks as they are to small.
    I am 1,98m or 6'-5" and 120kg and I sleep like a baby in it! OK, I it's my first hammock so what do I know, but still...
    I believe I even have some room to spare at the head and feet aria.
    Shoulder sqeese is present, but OK. I got a bit chilly because of insulation compression, so I just bought their underquilt as well. Will be arriving in a few days I gues. Get back on that one.

Resuming; beiing large AND sleeping in a DDH, it can be done!

Regards, Repelsteel

Hammock
    dd camping hammock
    Tarp
    truenorthoutdoors
    Insulation
    dd hammocks ub
    Suspension
    tape with bow knot
    well people i am a six foot tall ten and a half stone racing snake and find the DD camping hammock luxury and sleep better in that than at home in bed
    drew

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12