Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks everyone for your advise. My biggest issue with cuben had always been the color...and it seems that hammockgear has fixed that with their new camo pattern that is much more of a darker brown.
    As far as the price - paying for quality gear can be painful in the beginning but the value lasts much longer. Getting Adam on the phone the other day and having him answer all of my questions really made me feel at ease. Same thing when I spoke to Brandon at warbonnet. These guys are busy because they make quality gear that is made right here in the USA and most importantly stand behind there products.
    So my order is in and the wait begins -

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies
    Agreed. I'm saving up for the Hammock Gear Standard Cuben with doors. It's a lot of dough indeed. But I like the weight, no water and no stretch. Enjoy your cuben!

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 11'
    Tarp
    no tarp! need asap
    Insulation
    DIY apex UQ
    Suspension
    DIY-neema
    It's super visible, and noisy. I don't like that at all.
    Camo is a no-go in parts of the world (say SA). It'd be great if it just were OD

It kinda looks like a trash bag/ shelter, that can be a pro or a con, depending on context.

I don't own a cuben tarp, and probably won't for now.

Hammock
    Eno Dbl. Nest, wbbb xlc dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    12' Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopies, cinch
    I love my winter palace! Can't go wrong

Hammock
    Clark N250, ENO dbln & Rei Traveler
    Tarp
    Silnylon & Cubens
    Insulation
    Tyvek underlayer
    Suspension
    treestraps + ridge
    I bought a cuben tarp to go along with an extra lightweight hammock I sometimes carry. As they together weigh only ounces, it is worth it to me to have a backup. I set silnylon tarps in a variety of configurations based on weather, like most everyone. I have found that in colder or stormier wether, it is really nice to have the cuben as a second (inner) layer tarp. With heavy rains shielded by the large primary tarp in a storm mode, the cuben works for residual wind and to retain more heat. I am fully aware that this is not necessary, but since I have been camping out MOST of the time (even at home) for the past three years, I find it educational to try new things.

Because of the price, I also feel better protecting the cuben fabric from excessive UV and other potential hazards. I can't believe how expensive that gossamer-light stuff is! Having had widow makers blow at me out of nowhere in a storm, been surprised by super cells (with very nearby tornadoes), hail, surprise snowstorms, minus 5 degrees in my hammock setup, and also awakened to a foot of water below me, I swear by my undersling, my two tarp system, and an insulated car shade sleeping pad liner and my down comforter, which has kept me toasty in the nastiest weather.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG CubeF w/ doors
    Insulation
    NEO AIR
    Suspension
    Strap Dutch Whoopi
    Don't get it. I have a HG camo cuben tarp with doors and am often distracted by how loiight my bag is and how good my coverage is. If you do decide to suffer to low weight of cuben, go with the door tie backs from HG. Cheap add on and it allows you to pitch with less stakes most of the time and bring down the doors when you want to mess with them.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    I Went back and forth about a cuben tarp for months. I finally was convinced that I didn't NEED one. After reading this thread I'm back at it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensoldier View Post
    So my order is in and the wait begins -
    So you finally caved gave in to all this push back? How did it turn out? I am specifically curious about the coverage since I am thinking about moving to a WBBB and doored HG camo tarp.
    Last edited by Midge; 07-15-2014 at 10:06.

The verdict:

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    So you finally caved gave in to all this push back? How did it turn out? I am specifically curious about the coverage since, I am thinking about moving to a WBBB and doored HG camo tarp.
    I got back from completing a 4 day backpacking trip that included the "hardest mile" of the AT....Mahoosuc(k) Notch.

Some things I noticed:

Weather can change very quick in the mountains of NH. On our last day we were expecting very heavy rain storms. This is one of the reason to go with the most amount of coverage and pay the $$$ for light weight Cuben. It took me 3 minutes to set up the tarp and wait some lighting storms out/

On this trip I was not solo...and was pitched close to others in the group. The Cuben is somewhat transparent and if you want full privacy you will need to pitch it low and maybe close doors. I personally did not worry and gave fellow members a heads up on some brief nudity.

The Camo is really nice and you do blend well at dusk/low light. If the sun hits the Cuben a certain direction it does shine brightly. This is my biggest issue with the Cuben tarp...but its not a deal breaker. I read somewhere that the Cuben "shine" will go away over time...I hope.

Finally---I am still having a hard time pitching it tight. I don't want to pull on it since Cuben does not stretch like Sil so this is just an experience thing. On this trip there was little time to play with gear - we were up by 5 and sleeping by 9. Didn't even take pictures of the set up.

I will review it sometime later in the year after some more trips and more experiences - I do baby this tarp and am overly cautious where I hang as to not puncture it with a low branch.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    While I was waiting for my HG camo cuben hex, I went hiking and my winter silnylon got rained on. I could feel the extra weight in water it had absorbed the next day when I put on my pack. Sooooo glad to get my c.f. tarp, and really glad I spent the extra $ on camo, that pattern is like looking at trees, not a solid roof of color.
    DSC00437 by U.P. Evo8, on FlickrDSC00432 by U.P. Evo8, on FlickrDSC00441 by U.P. Evo8, on Flickr

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast