Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asym folding

Images
    HE, I'm wondering if the extra fabric could be removed and the edge hemmed to solve the trap / fabric-in-face problem. Any thoughts?

The hammocks I'm thinking of designing will be used as a double hammock (each of us with our own hammock hung from two large trees or from three trees in a triangle). The dinos normally change postion many times during the night. The he-dino sleeps on both sides and his back; the she-dino sleeps on her sides and sometimes requires a pillow between the knees to relieve pressure on the injured right hip when laying on the left side. Any observations, cautions or general comments about the best top and bottom insulation for us moving dinos will be appreciated.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    HE, I'm wondering if the extra fabric could be removed and the edge hemmed to solve the trap / fabric-in-face problem. Any thoughts?

The hammocks I'm thinking of designing will be used as a double hammock (each of us with our own hammock hung from two large trees or from three trees in a triangle). The dinos normally change postion many times during the night. The he-dino sleeps on both sides and his back; the she-dino sleeps on her sides and sometimes requires a pillow between the knees to relieve pressure on the injured right hip when laying on the left side. Any observations, cautions or general comments about the best top and bottom insulation for us moving dinos will be appreciated.
    Smee and I use the three tree set up.... some lessons learned..... the tree spread often is too far for any single tarp less than 12x10 and that is too large and heavy... multiple 8x10s and hexes overlay each and cause funneling onto each other...also bad..... The best for coverage and fit in small space caused by the three tree approach is two 8x8s....

Yeh, we sell them....but these are the facts.... from the early hammock years, before we made them.... In fact, it is one of the reasons we designed the JRB center ridge 8x8tarp....ymmv.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    We have carried a silnylon 10 x 12 tarp (19 ozs) since I was injured because we've had to tarp over big rocks so I could cook (I can't squat down) and have significant dry area for crawling from the tent to something I could use to get up or down.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Smee and I use the three tree set up.... some lessons learned..... the tree spread often is too far for any single tarp less than 12x10 and that is too large and heavy... multiple 8x10s and hexes overlay each and cause funneling onto each other...also bad..... The best for coverage and fit in small space caused by the three tree approach is two 8x8s....

Yeh, we sell them....but these are the facts.... from the early hammock years, before we made them.... In fact, it is one of the reasons we designed the JRB center ridge 8x8tarp....ymmv.

Pan
    I agree that the three-tree method is iffy at best. Having a good way to double-hang on a single pair of trees would provide much more reliable pitch options IMO.

I also agree that a single 12x10 isn't a good solution, but for the opposite reason...my 12x11 BlackCat is what I consider minimal coverage for ONE hammock. I have one of your 8x8's and after using my BlackCat in some weather, I really feel like I would've gotten wet trying to lounge or cook under your tarp. Not knocking it, but there's a reason I made mine as big as I did. Maybe it's all in my head, but then again being comfortable with your gear is almost as important as its actual functionality.

Two rectangular tarps with plenty of tie-outs could be connected and overlapped, providing a workable solution. Ed Speer has demonstrated this quite well.

I think the optimal solution for someone who consistently double-hangs from a single pair of trees would be a tarp designed specifically for that. There isn't one out there yet, as far as I know.
    Last edited by blackbishop351; 04-10-2007 at 11:11.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    here's a picture of three hammocks under two overlaped tarps.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9030049.JPG
    all three hammocks shared the same tree at the foot end, but each had it's own tree for the head end.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    If we dinos end up hammocking, I will be making us a tarp-tent for hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12