Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade 5 oz ripstop
    Tarp
    The Arc
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I feel your pain sir (though a little higher in the back). I'm curious though, how do you usually sleep in a hammock: back? side? belly?

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    I'm a side sleeper, from staight to slightly curbed. I can sleep on my back, but when I sleep on my back, I will snore to a point that I will wake up from the sound and with a dry throat after abt 30min.

Hammock
    TTTM Double, WBBB XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, DD3X3
    Insulation
    UKhammocks TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Treehuggers
    I'm a side sleeper to in general, and a matress that's either too soft will hurt my back, because my spine is in an ackward curve on a soft matress(those horribly soft beds in holiday cabins and hotels...).
    Maybe something like this happened to you to? Moving around in a hammock and certainly curling up and placing your weight on a smaller point will get you a less even lay. I must say though that side sleeping is in a hammock is very new to me, I never could find the sidesleeping sweet spot in my TTTM and am still exploring it in my WBBB XLC. Strangely enough although I near always side sleep in a bed(only in uncomfortably hard or soft beds I start fidgeting around on my belly and back), I found my "natural" sleeping position on my back in a hammock.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblockman View Post
    I'm a side sleeper to in general, and a matress that's either too soft will hurt my back, because my spine is in an ackward curve on a soft matress(those horribly soft beds in holiday cabins and hotels...).
    Total +1

I suppose that my future lies in back sleeping. Maybe with earplugs and throat hydration

Again, I want the hammock camping to work. I invested in 1st class gear and I absolutely see the benefits (when there are trees around...).

Hammock
    TTTM Double, WBBB XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, DD3X3
    Insulation
    UKhammocks TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Treehuggers
    Maybe if your backpain is healed you could set up again and analyze the way you hang. Maybe you can find out where it might have gone wrong or where you can improve your hang... I still have to feel my way around the sidesleeping thing in my hammock, but I certainly see possibilities when my unconcious mind finds it's way in it.
    By the way have you tried backsleeping in a hammock and also tried it without a pillow(or maybe a very thin one)?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I sometimes feel my back a bit in the morning. I had a pretty severe disc hernia 1,5 years ago, and at just the right angle I have a wide pressure point on the lower back where the issue was when sleeping in a hammock, couple with a slight arch of the back opening the bones up. I'm fairly convinced there was nerve damage too, which I believe is the reason for feeling it now.

I try to position myself before I fall asleep to avoid that pressure point and arch, all it takes is literally a cm of tilt of the body, and possibly bent legs to reduce the banana shape to a minimum, and I'm good to go.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images

Strong back pain - what went wrong ?

I have never slept on my back for a whole night except when I was in hospital with a broken shoulder. Then it was too painful too turn on a side. I take naps though on my back all the time.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Total +1

I suppose that my future lies in back sleeping. Maybe with earplugs and throat hydration

Again, I want the hammock camping to work. I invested in 1st class gear and I absolutely see the benefits (when there are trees around...).
    I sleep on my side in a bed. If I sleep on my back, I snore. However, in a hammock I sleep on my back and just turn my head to the side rather than pointing to the sky. That eliminates snoring for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hybrid/varies
    I often find that it is a tight muscle that pulls my spine out of alignment when the other muscles fully relax while I sleep. Then the muscle really won't let go and others tighten up in an attempt to immobilize the problem area, making things worse. Back troubles suck. Hope you get it worked out.
    "Every human being holds something holy. We can all have some respect for that." - Omar Marzouk

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    I experienced a similar issue recently. I started out my sleep session one night on my side. When I got up, my back was stiff and sore and it took about 5 days for me to get back to near normal. I don't remember what position I was in when I woke up, though, because I was in a very deep sleep. I had slept on my side on other occasions without incident. Now, I'm afraid to sleep on my side for fear of experiencing the back pain and stiffness again. I now sleep on my back and have had no incidents, but sleeping on my back is not the most comfortable for me. I prefer sleeping on my side.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast