DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

AHE Jarbige info...

I'm tired of pads. Though they've served me well as a beginner, I need something more comfy. I've decided to get an underquilt, however, the wife has me on a budget. The Jarbidge has me really eyeing it up. I like that it is 3 season, works with the hammock I use, and the price point has the wife really happy.

I'm just wondering if the hangers of hammock forums can give me some insight on it. Pros/Cons, experiences with it's set-up, bulk, anything really.

Thanks!
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    The Search function will yield much info on the popular Jarbidge as will a glance of the AHE sub forum.

The Jarbidge, now standard with APEX Climashield, is conservatively rated at 30 degrees.

It's bulkier than a down based equivalent but being a 3/4 length underquilt keeps the packed size manageable.

The Jarbidge quilt is my goto summer and shoulder season underquilt. Only Winter will see it used as a "stacking" quilt. Having used it daily, month after month, during my year plus of sleeping outdoors, I can say it is a solid, reliable piece of kit that I can recommend without hesitation.

As with any underquilt, setup is key. Paul has a video on the site showing proper setup and discusses the common mistakes made by new hangers.

The Pros and Cons will center on the synthetic versus down discussion. The Jarbidge uses a basic suspension and does not have a channel suspension so understanding how to setup an underquilt is key to avoiding a gap at the mid point of the quilt. (Under the bum) The addition of a channel suspension is the only modification I could envision for this underquilt. But if added, I doubt the pricepoint could be maintained.

Being a larger person, I had my Jarbidge made with a couple extra inches in the width and had AHE sew in a pair of tabs midway along the length allowing for an additional suspension point midway. These are used only in the coldest of temps.

The Jarbidge will appear in the For Sale section from time to time and often will not last the day. The is not only because of price point but also because of the general utility and quality of this popular underquilt.
    Last edited by Ratdog; 06-02-2014 at 09:41.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I have the 1 season Jarbidge, I use that at home with my Brazilian cotton hammock, the hammock is a little big for it, so I have to fix it a lot. I've camped out down to 45F with it on my single treklight, and had no problems, it held in place and kept me warm. It's nice and light, the stuff sack it came with is a little bigger than I want it to be, but it does compress down smaller than the sack. I've been testing out at home with my DangerBird, and it stays in place, and keeps me warm. I really like it, and only regret not buying it earlier. I got mine used on the forum for $85shipped, and saw a couple popping up this past week, so if you really want to save money, I suggest adding the app to your phone, and have it notify you every time there's a new FS tread.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    I can say it is a solid, reliable piece of kit that I can recommend without hesitation.
    That sounds like a great endorsement in my books. I just wanted to get a general feel. I was lurking on the AHE thread and did a little research, I just wanted to throw a line out and see what other info I can get from the HF Hangers

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    That sounds like a great endorsement in my books. I just wanted to get a general feel. I was lurking on the AHE thread and did a little research, I just wanted to throw a line out and see what other info I can get from the HF Hangers
    I can recommend without hesitation that lurking, researching and finally posting are an excellent approach.

Seriously though, I have used mine down into the 20's and when matched with a quality top quilt as well as a footpad under the feet, I was good to go.

A common mistake is over tightening the quilt creating air channels that allow air flow to chill you on cooler evenings.

Some folks will complain of any quilt slipping off the shoulder, there are a couple ways to address this issue. A simple piece of shock cord from the the corner of the quilt to the ridge line is one, a triangle thingie is another, even a quilt clip could be used.

Keeping the end to end suspension taught will help eliminate any gap underneath and not over tightening the shock cord controlling the width at either end will control gaps.

I have never felt a need for a draft collar on the Jarbidge.

Sub 20 degree temps and I use it as a stacking quilt with my New River. Toasty warm.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    I can recommend without hesitation that lurking, researching and finally posting are an excellent approach.

Seriously though, I have used mine down into the 20's and when matched with a quality top quilt as well as a footpad under the feet, I was good to go.

A common mistake is over tightening the quilt creating air channels that allow air flow to chill you on cooler evenings.

Some folks will complain of any quilt slipping off the shoulder, there are a couple ways to address this issue. A simple piece of shock cord from the the corner of the quilt to the ridge line is one, a triangle thingie is another, even a quilt clip could be used.

Keeping the end to end suspension taught will help eliminate any gap underneath and not over tightening the shock cord controlling the width at either end will control gaps.

I have never felt a need for a draft collar on the Jarbidge.

Sub 20 degree temps and I use it as a stacking quilt with my New River. Toasty warm.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check out the video so I know how to set it up properly so I don't have a cold night's sleep

Hammock
    GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    hey brazilianguy do you have a weight on your 1 season jarbidge?

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
    hey brazilianguy do you have a weight on your 1 season jarbidge?
    I'd be interested in this, since I don't usually camp with temps dipping below 50s

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Incub20
    Suspension
    Web Susp
    I have the jarbridge 3season that I bought in March. I have used it in temps from 28 to 68 with great results. Awesome piee of gear for the price. It can be a little finicky on an eleven ft hammock.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by laxdad View Post
    I have the jarbridge 3season that I bought in March. I have used it in temps from 28 to 68 with great results. Awesome piee of gear for the price. It can be a little finicky on an eleven ft hammock.
    I have a warbonnet blackbird DL 1.1

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast