DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie

Which style hammock?

Hey guy's, I'm having a hard time deciding which style hammock to start out with. (attached bugnet, or one that I can take off and on as needed). I realize that it's all personal preference, but thought maybe I could get some advice from some of you that have been there and done that. I have narrowed my choice down to the WL snipe, or Wbbb.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I use a WBBB all year long. The extra weight and bulk on the integrated bugnet is not an issue with me. I find a bugnet creates a little bit of added warmth so it's handy to have anyways. I can always just tie it back if I don't need or want it. If you count grams and are going to use it in the non buggy times of the year, then a netless hammock may be in order otherwise I don't see too much downside in having an intergrated bugnet. JMO.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Thanks Bubba, I didn't think of being able to tie the net back when not needed.. It's hard to figure in these small details before you actually purchase a hammock..

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a Snipe and it's great, however, I just ordered a BlackBird XLC today. From what I understand from Brandon, you can remove the net entirely. And Bubba's right, i just plan on folding the net back when I don't need it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I use a WBBB all year long. The extra weight and bulk on the integrated bugnet is not an issue with me. I find a bugnet creates a little bit of added warmth so it's handy to have anyways. I can always just tie it back if I don't need or want it. If you count grams and are going to use it in the non buggy times of the year, then a netless hammock may be in order otherwise I don't see too much downside in having an intergrated bugnet. JMO.
    Same here as Bubba.
    "Life's short, if you don't stop and look around every once in a while you might miss it". FB

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Describe your camping style/ comfort level

Be sure to watch the videos at Warbonnet Outdoors and compare specs for weight with W.L. If you plan to backpack. The WBBB XLT is not most people's 1st choice for backpacking but is very comfortable for other styles of camping. Some people may be willing to carry an extra lb for better night's sleep. Others can sleep just fine in an ultra lite hammock. So about how old are you, height, weight, etc.? Do you typically sleep on a super thin ground pad, 3/4 length on rocky uneven ground or are you more comfort driven. Good questions to consider. I grew up with folks who could sleep on the bottom of a wet wooden canoe for hours as the outboard motor smashed it into logs and rocks. But few folks in TX know how to really explore like that.

BTW Both W.B. and W.L. should be able to make you a custom hammock like shorter WBBB convertible but they both know a LOT about hammock design so best not to mess with it.
    Also Dauphin Island, Alabama is great especially the eastern side that has trees to hang from. Hope I can go back for a 2nd visit sometime. I caught and ate about 40 blue crab there.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-02-2014 at 16:12. Reason: BTW

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    But don't forget to factor in the weight of the bug net you might need to carry if you don't get an integrated one.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    Be sure to watch the videos at Warbonnet Outdoors and compare specs for weight with W.L. If you plan to backpack. The WBBB XLT is not most people's 1st choice for backpacking but is very comfortable for other styles of camping. Some people may be willing to carry an extra lb for better night's sleep. Others can sleep just fine in an ultra lite hammock. So about how old are you, height, weight, etc.? Do you typically sleep on a super thin ground pad, 3/4 length on rocky uneven ground or are you more comfort driven. Good questions to consider. I grew up with folks who could sleep on the bottom of a wet wooden canoe for hours as the outboard motor smashed it into logs and rocks. But few folks in TX know how to really explore like that.

BTW Both W.B. and W.L. should be able to make you a custom hammock like shorter WBBB convertible but they both know a LOT about hammock design so best not to mess with it.
    Also Dauphin Island, Alabama is great especially the eastern side that has trees to hang from. Hope I can go back for a 2nd visit sometime. I caught and ate about 40 blue crab there.
    I'm 44 yrs old, 5'9" around 200 lbs. I have been (trying) to sleep on a 3/4 big Agnes pad for the last few years but completely exhausted by morning.. I plan on doing some section hiking on the AT once or twice a year so weight is definitely a concern. However I don't mind carrying a little extra for a good night's sleep.

Images
    whatever you are thinking of buying, search youtube and watch video reviews, modifications, setups etc.

• + New Posts